Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking at reflective sheets for my SUV. The ones that are long to cover almost the entire vehicle. I found two companies Waggit and Country Mun. Country Mun can custom fit. Any suggestions on what you use when at Trials

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
24,840 Posts
Reflective sheets? Do you mean the things you put in the windshield to keep the car cooler?

·
Banned
240 Posts
Looking at reflective sheets for my SUV. The ones that are long to cover almost the entire vehicle. I found two companies Waggit and Country Mun. Country Mun can custom fit. Any suggestions on what you use when at Trials
You mean those reflective car shades you put up against the windows?I've seen really cheap /cute DIY options online.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
In FL, you probably need a lot more reflective measures than here in dry not so hot, CO. Those that you posted look cool. Can't be of much assistance to ya. I would be worried about air flow though. Do they cut slits in the reflective wrap so that air can flow through?

·
Premium Member
8,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In FL, you probably need a lot more reflective measures than here in dry not so hot, CO. Those that you posted look cool. Can't be of much assistance to ya. I would be worried about air flow though. Do they cut slits in the reflective wrap so that air can flow through?
No, You will need to leave your windows open and keep your hatch back open at all times. On their web sites they caution people do this. I have seen these sheets at trials however I always forget to ask.

·
Got mutt?
13,604 Posts
Check out greenhouse supply places. I've seem some really good deals online for Aluminet and other shade cloths, better than you'd get through a dog supply place.

·
Got mutt?
13,604 Posts
Reactions: dobegal

·
Premium Member
8,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Got mutt?
13,604 Posts
No, You will need to leave your windows open and keep your hatch back open at all times. On their web sites they caution people do this. I have seen these sheets at trials however I always forget to ask.
What kind of trials?
Nosework. In NACSW, dogs are always (as I understand it) crated in your vehicle.

The shade cloths are handy for other events, as well, like outdoor obedience/rally trial, CATs, or really any event where crating isn't inside or under cover.

Reactions: Gretchen_Red

·
Big Lil pup
6,121 Posts
I have a reflective waterproof cover for my Jeep Rubicon 4 door hard top. I bought it because even with the windows down and the top panels off, It gets ferociously hot (Black top, black interior) on a sunny day.

It is amazing, roll down the windows and put the cover on and it never gets hotter than the outdoor ambient temperature. In fact sitting inside it actually feels cooler. To be fair, the Jeep itself is reflective... Silver Billet Metallic. I am sure that helps also.

·
Premium Member
8,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nosework. In NACSW, dogs are always (as I understand it) crated in your vehicle.

The shade cloths are handy for other events, as well, like outdoor obedience/rally trial, CATs, or really any event where crating isn't inside or under cover.
I have been to two different NACSW trails and dogs have been crated in and out of vehicles.

·
Alpha schmalpha
3,894 Posts
Dobegal...try BWI they are in plymouth just a little north of you close to mt dora. Aluminet is a product that you may want to look at.

·
Got mutt?
13,604 Posts
I have been to two different NACSW trails and dogs have been crated in and out of vehicles.
Oh, my understanding from reading what people were saying, they had to be kept in your vehicle. The one UKC trial I went to, there was a crating area set aside indoors, or you could crate in your vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
21,138 Posts
You can crate outside your vehicle in NACSW, as long as it's right next to your car in your "space."

What I do is put an emergency blanket on top of the car, with the reflective side turned up, to reflect heat back up, then layer the aluminet on top of that. All windows are down, I have the front window blocked with a window shade. Hatchback open, crate is usually inside. Fan on if necessary, depending on temperature. Pop up tent over the back of the car, shade cloth hanging on the sides of that to block the sun. Chair for me :) Cooler with water and ice.

This set up kept us both perfectly comfortable in humid mid 90s heat in Minnesota for our NW1 trial where Richter went high in trial. One thing to think about that my trainer said...if you cool your dog TOO much more than the outdoor temperatures, it's quite shocking to their bodies when they have to work in those temps (for example, for their exterior and vehicle searches). You obviously want them safe and reasonably comfortable but you don't actually want them cooled down so much that it's hard for them to work. Think about how shocking high temps feel to you when you leave air conditioning and enter really hot weather...it takes time to adjust. At a Nosework trial, when you only have a few minutes to search, that adjustment time can make or break your search.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Clean Run and last time I looked Leerburg sell the reflective sheets you would be wanting. I have 2 of them and it is amazing how much difference in temp they make.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts