Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend some reflective safety gear, preferably cheap? :) We walk at night and I'm starting to worry about being seen, especially now with two dogs and no sidewalks in our neighborhood.

Reactions: Sherryh

·
Super Moderator
22,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DV, those vests are awesome. Sadly, I can't spend $70 on vests right now. Maybe I'll have to save up for them.

Anyone else use reflective stuff that works well?

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I bought an led collar on ebay, lights up nicely, and was about 9 dollars plus shipping. Not only great for walks, but great when you're outside anywhere. I have used it camping, for walks, and even just in the yard.

I also picked up a headlamp from walmart for about 10 dollars. It has a flashlight, and a red led that throws color and light but is not like a flashlight. You can wear it on your head, or arm, so you don't have to hold it. Both are cheap, and work great for us.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
DV, those vests are awesome. Sadly, I can't spend $70 on vests right now. Maybe I'll have to save up for them.

Anyone else use reflective stuff that works well?
My friend was in a similar situation years ago. She bought reflective tape from Home Depot put it on her AND the dogs and it worked great.

·
Super Moderator
22,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My friend was in a similar situation years ago. She bought reflective tape from Home Depot put it on her AND the dogs and it worked great.
That's a great do-it-yourself kind of solution! And it's not that I don't have money in the "dog fund," but this is kind of low priority. That's a fantastic idea, and I'm going to have to go to Home Depot. I even have some old collars the dogs don't wear anymore that would work well to put the tape on.

·
of Ferret Rock
1,674 Posts
Delta has a reflective collar I picked up at PetSmart. It's thin and has a plastic buckle so I don't attach her leash to it, I just put it on with her regular leather one. I also usually carry a low-power flashlight after dark.

I don't like the bright LED lights or blinking LED collars, they kill my vision and the blinking annoys me. Maybe if they made one that fit on her nubbin instead! :p

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I know this isn't what you want, but I thought some other folks might be interested.

Lighted Dog Collars - K9 Safety - Auroralites Safety Systems Inc.

This collar is very sturdy -- and bright. It's also expensive, but we bought ours more than 10 years ago for our previous Dobe, after trying a couple of different pet-store light-up collars that quickly stopped workng. Jack has inherited it, and he always wears it if we're walking him after dark. Lots of four-way stops in our neighbourhood, and lots of idiot drivers who barely slow down for stop signs. Even in broad daylight, we've come close to being clipped by drivers who haven't seen us . . . ooooh, don't get me started.

I also often wear reflective armbands, which we bought as ankle bands for cycling.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
I bought reflective ribbon and sewed it on leashes & collars, as I owned enough of those!!!! Same idea as the tape from Home Depot.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I got LED flashlights from Petco for about $20 a piece. They each wear their own around their necks but they hang low so it is basically on the chest. My husband got me one from Home Depot and I wear it around my belly.

I was amazed how quickly the cars in our neighborhood slowed down the first time I used them. I think they think we are kids walking because the lights are swinging around in circles from Lexi and Jackson and mine is a little higher. I also have gotten many compliments from our neighbors on how great the lights are.

·
Like a Ninja
3,916 Posts
Do you have a military surplus store near you?

They have stretchy reflective belts... They work well, trust me I know
(Don't ask BTW, Stuck in the desert with only so much to do makes you go crazy)
The one on my head is the stretchy one and the one I put on Jones lol

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Do you have a military surplus store near you?

They have stretchy reflective belts... They work well, trust me I know
(Don't ask BTW, Stuck in the desert with only so much to do makes you go crazy)
The one on my head is the stretchy one and the one I put on Jones lol
Great ideals.........I had hot tea is all over my keyboard lol!

Thanks for the humor we need to laugh more LOL!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts