Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my boy got his tail dock corrected during his ear cropping to fix an improper dock/bald spot

he's healed well and there are no issues, however the dock is still a bit long imo

normally this isnt something i would really care about, but i would 1) like to show him and 2) he has to be put under for tooth extraction per the vet since he has some baby teeth that have not come out yet

i know theres been a trend toward longer docks to go with longer crops. do you think he will grow into the length? will it hurt his show prospects? is it worth it to try to get it redone since he has to be put under anyway?

thanks

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Working animal Fawn

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Flooring Floor

·
Premium Member
11,449 Posts
Nor would I--but I'd also have a discussion with my vet about which tooth it is exactly that they want to anesthesize him to remove? Over the years I've had several puppies whose canine incisors looked like the baby tooth might need to be extracted because it seemed to be wedged in place by the secondary incisor. After the first three puppies whose baby tooth did end up falling out on it's own before the date of the pending surgery.

And I quite worrying about it and never have had to have any baby tooth removed on any Dobe puppy.

Small dog breeds often need baby teeth removed but the larger breeds don't seem to end up with actually retained baby teeth.

Just sayin'

dobebug

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nor would I--but I'd also have a discussion with my vet about which tooth it is exactly that they want to anesthesize him to remove? Over the years I've had several puppies whose canine incisors looked like the baby tooth might need to be extracted because it seemed to be wedged in place by the secondary incisor. After the first three puppies whose baby tooth did end up falling out on it's own before the date of the pending surgery.

And I quite worrying about it and never have had to have any baby tooth removed on any Dobe puppy.

Small dog breeds often need baby teeth removed but the larger breeds don't seem to end up with actually retained baby teeth.

Just sayin'

dobebug
after talking to a couple other people i am going to leave as-is, his furs grown back in and the tail looks good so im not going to mess with it

id be showing him in AKC conformation shows, and i see a lot of bitches in the ring with similar lengths, so i dont think itll cause any point deduction as long as the tailset is good

he currently only has two baby teeth left and they are both canines, sitting right behind his adult canines. though the vet said theyd have to pull them if they didnt fall out, she didnt actually give me a timeframe, and he is only 6 mo old, so i feel like theres a good chance they will come out on their own (no surgery has been scheduled yet)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts