Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

RedFawnRising dobe Whisper is HURT BAD

44K views 571 replies 124 participants last post by  ellenm 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
On the last walk of the night, Whisper suddenly took off after a little animal Jerking the leash out of RFR's hand, and making chase. A SUV came flying down the road and hit her. RFR was knocked out while trying to save her from the SUV, and the SUV fled the scene. Another car stopped to help and got RFR awake. Whisper had fled into the woods to die. RFR woke up realized what had happened and heard Whisper in the woods. She found her in the pitch dark by hearing her cry. She CARRIED HER (and RFR is not in the best of health), found her way home in the dark. When she got in the house she saw that Whispers leg is totally degloved and and artery was partially severed. She grabbed a sheet and tied her leg off and got her to an E Vet who stabilized her.

It is going to be very expensive to save her and she needs all the help she can get. You can donate through SND or directly. Please specify your donation is for Whisper.

The number of the business office for VA Tech is (540)231-4954. Whisper is now admitted.
Please call the hospital number above for inquires about Whisper. Barbara Kafka is the patient coordinator and knows all about her case. They will also accept donations for her at that number, but it's best for Dobermantalk if you donate through SND.

SND has accepted her case and will be accepting donations for Whisper. But it must be specified more than once that it is for Whisper so it won't just go in the general fund. You can go to their website to donate.

http://www.doberman911.org/cases/whisper.html

See less See more
#3 ·
I just called VA Tech bus office and made my donation. Bless everyone. Once again I'd like to clarify that RFR did not know I was going to plea her case, but she needs help, and she has helped many with her no nonsense advice. Not to mention saving so many animals. I just wanted to help her get help. She is going to be very embarrassed, but for Whispers sake she will forgive me.

#25 ·
She does not have paypal set up, so the best way to donate is through SND, or by calling VA Tech directly to make a payment. I believe SND, though, is a tax deductible donation to a 501c3, whereas paying VA Tech directly is not, if that's a factor for anyone.

#9 ·
Thanks for sharing Sono. What a horrible ordeal for her and Whisper. I am praying for both of them.

RFR has helped so many people on here, even those who do not always see eye-to-eye with her cannot deny her love for this breed and her devotion to everybody's dog.

Please help in any way you can, prayers, donations, good vibes.

Here is the SND website:

Special Needs Dobermans - Helping Owned AND Rescue Dobes!

Click on donate:

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/w...63663d3faee8deaa77efc63a6eb429928d42bdf5d9d2c

Make sure you enter "West Virginia Whisper" in description field and enter all payment information etc.

All donations are tax deductible, as SND is a 501 3(c)

#88 ·
I just heard about poor Whisper and RFR, I hope both are ok .. I just got home from the hospital myself yesterday, I had surgery on Wed. I wish I could do more than give moral support in their time of need but unfortunately that is all I can offer, I will pray for both, poor Whisper and RFR, I am glad to hear your injuries were not too severe, it helps that you can be with your poor baby during her healing .. I am just sick over this as I know how awful it is when your poor pup is in pain and in need of comfort, we had our baby in the hospital back in Jan. I will be praying for you and keeping you both in my thoughts hoping all goes well. I wish I could do more to help but its such a bad time for us. If you need a friendly ear feel free to send a private msg.

#12 ·
RFR/Whisper Update

Karen called me after her vet appointment at VA Tech and has asked me to post an update on Whisper.

Whisper has a fever and bloodwork is being done to determine whether it is infection or related to inflammation of her leg. She is on and has been on antibiotics, so the vets think it is the inflammation.

They will be examining the wound and treating the degloving first. Orthopedic surgery will follow that. Having so much internal tissue exposed is, obviously, a huge infection risk and that needs to be remedied first.

VA Tech will call her late afternoon EDT after they've done their examination and started treatment. I've asked Karen to call me after that so's I can post another update.

Karen is driving home and plans to sleep when she gets there. She hasn't had anything resembling adequate rest since this happened, as I'm sure we all can understand.

And her computer is misbehaving again, blastitall.

She is amazed, grateful, and tearful over the kindness that has been extended to her by her friends and acquaintances on DT.

#13 ·
If anyone even has $1 to spare I can't imagine not helping.

Such a tragic and terrifying accident. I think all of us can relate. I know I've experienced a dog's leash slipping through my hands when they lunge after something. Karen and Whisper have just experienced one of the worst outcomes to such a horrifying accident.

I'm so glad they made it safely to VA Tech and she's in excellent hands now. Thanks for the update, Shirley.

#14 ·
that's right B- there's no donation that is too small. Every dollar helps for the recovery of Whisper.

If anyone even has $1 to spare I can't imagine not helping.

Such a tragic and terrifying accident. I think all of us can relate. I know I've experienced a dog's leash slipping through my hands when they lunge after something. Karen and Whisper have just experienced one of the worst outcomes to such a horrifying accident.

#16 ·
Oh thank you so much for letting us know about this.. I am just seeing this and it breaks my heart, my thoughts and my prayers go out to Karen and Whisper!! As others have said, she has done so much for so many on here, please give what you can!!

Thank you again for posting this!!

#19 · (Edited)
This. I agree. We do all we can to try to be financially prepared for the unexpected. And then the unexpected turns out to be...unexpected. And, sometimes, there are too many unexpected things in too short a time.

There but for the whims of the universe go you or go I. 'Cause it sure ain't merit based.

#20 ·
Thoughts and prayers for RFR and Whisper. At work, so can't donate right now (and shouldn't be posting right now, but I was so happy to see an update).

I hope SND hurries up and puts Whisper on their site so I can blog and twitter the page for help (providing RFR doesn't vehemently object to it, obviously!).

[Glad this thread was allowed (reallowed?)]

#67 ·
I spoke at length with Whisper's SND case mgr, Beth, tonight, so she finally has the info she needed to get Whip's page up--I just am now waiting on a friend to send some better quality pics of Whisper as my little camera doesn't do pics well enough for a web page publication.

Short answer: Whisper's page will be up soon.

She does have paypal, but you would have to PM her and see if she wants to give you that email address I'm afraid.
It's not a problem about the email--it's that I'm having infuriatingly annoying issues with Paypal itself--issues with an old email address and them being apparently too numpty to be able to link my new one.

But, all that said, I feel much more comfortable with any donations going directly to Whisper's medical care providers. I'd just as soon never handle the money, and think it is better for folks to know for sure (this is the internet) that every penny is going directly to Whisp.

I set up a chip-in before through my personal Paypal to help out someone with some astronomical vet bills. A personal Paypal account will unfortunately deduct fees, AND Paypal can put a hold on the funds if you aren't set up as a business (or even if you are, for some random asinine reason). As lovely as it is to want to give to RFR directly, I'd opt for the Paypal option through SND. That way no fees will be taken out (since they are a charity), and every penny can go to Whisper's care.
I think the SND thing or just calling VT directly, is the best option, too.

Dobermantalk will not allow contributions to an individual, that's why the locked my first thread. Plus it is tax deductible going through SND. I think PayPal only allows so much to be taken out each month anyway.
Yes, there is a small limit, and it would not cover Whip's bill. Like I said, though, my paypal is as useless right now as the proverbial tit on a boar hog.

get well Whisper and Karen!!

I hope they get the SUV driver for felony hit and run. If there were any witnesses, I'd pursue it legally. Personal injury, including the dog.
He did not hit me, I remember watching my feet go in the air (yes, you know me, go ahead and laugh), and I only have a mild concussion--went to the doc yesterday, for me. I was only out for like a second or two, I think.

Even though the couple who stopped were pretty insistent he did, they are in error. I think it was just it was dark and happened very fast and they saw Whisper dart, then saw me flat on my back (probably drooling very attractively) and just did two plus two and came up with five.

Much as it would make a nice dramatic story--klutz me just wiped out in my usual graceful way and did a one-point landing on my head. Most of my injuries are on my right side, and he would have hit me from the left, so it doesn't make sense he actually hit me. Twinkle toes just lost it and bit the road, I'm afraid. Wish I could have saved Whisper all this pain, but.

Thanks for the update - my heart goes out to you and poor little Whisper. My check is off to SND and I am sure they will need to raise the amount - hospitalization alone sucks up $200/day. Hugs.
Yes, I asked the staff to please consider this was OTHER people's money, and to of course do what was needed to give Whisper a good outcome, but to keep in mind an animal charity is involved, when it comes to costs.

RFR, I have skimmed over these posts and someone mentioned the hydrotherapy. I had wanted to mention that to you too. Our clinic has had AWESOME results with this and the equip is not fancy. We just put them in the grooming tub (disinfected of course) and use the water sprayer on the wound. It will be bring fresh blood to the surface which enourages new growth. Had a raccoon rip the the hide back on an aussie from the shoulder blades back to her tail and she healed up great. Same with hit by cars. Very good results. We do this for horses too, with just a hose. Same results.
Very interesting, thank you, but I think I will leave all that to the experts--they are doing the Wound VAC thingy and said it works wonderfully.

#23 ·
Gave what I could for now...as others have said, I don't know her personally, but RFR has definitely given a lot to the members of this forum. Nice to see everyone coming together to help...my thoughts and prayers go out to both of them! :'(

#28 ·
Hmm, I asked her about paypal privately and she said she wasn't set up for that...either way, there are a lot of options for getting funds to help Whisper.

#46 ·
Dobermantalk will not allow contributions to an individual, that's why the locked my first thread. Plus it is tax deductible going through SND. I think PayPal only allows so much to be taken out each month anyway.

#30 ·
I set up a chip-in before through my personal Paypal to help out someone with some astronomical vet bills. A personal Paypal account will unfortunately deduct fees, AND Paypal can put a hold on the funds if you aren't set up as a business (or even if you are, for some random asinine reason). As lovely as it is to want to give to RFR directly, I'd opt for the Paypal option through SND. That way no fees will be taken out (since they are a charity), and every penny can go to Whisper's care.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.