Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boy who is about 61/2 7 mths old has thin hair down the middle of his back behind his shoulders down to his rear. Its not bald just thin in spots and can see skin in light. He is feed diamond naturals lamb n rice kibble mixed with wet can food also. Any ideas. Diamond naturals I think is a 4* kibble, so I am not thinking poor diet. Any suggestions. It's been this way for a 2 mths and just thought it was his kennel rubbing his back .( he loves his man cave n puts himself to bed in it. Lol)open to all suggestions. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,494 Posts
Hair thinning in my red boy was the first sign of allergies, but it seems to me from what I remember, the hair loss was on his sides/ribs and the underside of his neck. Then he started to lose hair on his back and top of his rump.

Then he started in with the scratching. Have you seen yours scratch or rub up against anything in a way that looks like itchiness?

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Mel, I think Jake's hair loss also began before the itching set in. (Mel and I took Kip and Jake to the same dermatologist!) But unlike Kip, his was on his back. I don't think it was as high up on his back as the OP's dog, though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He does hang out on his back a lot but he isnt scratching. ( he thinks if funny to lay on his back and smile). Well I am feeding lamb and rice and isn't lamb one that's a lot of dogs are allergic to. Is there text a vet can do to pin point whet he is allergic to? Thanks

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
There are food allergies and environmental allergies. We never did pinpoint a food allergy in Jake. Just plenty of environmental ones via intradermal skin testing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will pick some new kibble up and make the transition. If I don't see and changes will start looking towards environmental. Do you think this is route to take?

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I'd start with a trip to the vet and discuss with them. At least that's where I started. Goo luck to you. Allergies are not a fun thing to try to figure out. :(

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
If you believe it's a food allergy, switching kibble wont do much to pinpoint anything. There are too many common ingredients in all of them. Kibble isn't just the protein listed in the name.

If you really think he has a food allergy then consider an "elimination" approach to his diet, elimiante everything but say rice and chicken for a while, then start adding things back in. Obviously, discuss everything with your vet.

·
Always Grateful
6,952 Posts
Definitely start with a visit to the vet. You need to rule out all the other potential skin issues before you start thinking allergies. Good luck!

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
got any pictures?

has he always had a 'thin' coat?

is his coat nice and shiney?

dandruff?

Hugz to your furkids!

·
Registered
65 Posts
My former dobe's hair was thin along the spine. At 7 months, he was diagnosed with low thyroid. Not an uncommon problem in the breed -- though vet said that was generally younger than normal for hypothyroidism.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
My former dobe's hair was thin along the spine. At 7 months, he was diagnosed with low thyroid. Not an uncommon problem in the breed -- though vet said that was generally younger than normal for hypothyroidism.
I was going to say the same thing. I would talk to your vet about it and if there are other symptoms I would maybe have them run a full thyroid panel.

Reactions: MeadowCat and Mateo

·
Super Moderator
22,030 Posts
Thinning hair can definitely be a symptom of low thyroid. Make sure to have a full thyroid panel run, not just a free T4. Shanoa was diagnosed low thyroid when she started having hair loss on her ears. The free T4 was fine, but the full panel showed she was low.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks I will ask for the full panel. I am currently out of town till friday(unexpected). I have my kids(dogs) with me but don't have our camera for pics. Will have to make the apt for next week. What are the symptoms for thyroid issues.

·
Super Moderator
22,030 Posts
The only symptom Shanoa had was hair loss on her ears.

·
Registered
10 Posts
We are currently experiencing the same thing with our 17 month old Dobe right now.

His hair looks very fine along the rib cage area but our vet advised that this could just be a seasonal thing which occurs from November to March in some dogs. Has anyone ever heard of this before?

He is not scratching at all but does a good cleaning every night before bed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Im feeding Diamond Naturals Chicken and Rice and Ive noticed light hair lose on my 3yr females chest at the bottom and her hind legs as well. Ive been reading from post to post today and ive been seeing people having issues with Diamond brand. Just a heads up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
When my red dobi was younger he had real thin hair. After about 5-6 month's i had enough of it and could figure out why. Come to find out he was allergic to wheat so finally after going thru allot of food brands like blue Buffalo, Taste of the wild and were and have been on diamond wheat free 3.5 cups a day. His hair is back to normal with a beautiful shinny coat, Not to thick not to thin now and HASN'T itched since he has been off of wheat influenced products

1 - 20 of 22 Posts