Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We adopted our doberman almost two years ago. He has been more then a handful since that time. He suffers from anxiety and has head wobbles from time to time. He has made great improvements, but I feel like he may be happier in a home that can help him with his behavioral problems.

He is a red doberman, about 3-4 years old. He is fixed and up to date with all of his shots. His tail is docked and his ears are cropped. The ears must not have been posted correctly, so they do not stand. He has been to an obedience class and does well with listening to commands. He does well with little dogs, cats and does fine with kids (when we are out for walks). He does not do well with large dogs. He has gotten into several dogs fights. We cannot have him around other large dogs and there is even aggression when we pass other larger dogs on walks. That means there are no dog parks outings in his future. I have tried to help him with this and I have given up. :(

He has head wobbles from time to time. Sometimes I don't actually see them happen, but I can tell he has had an episode because he will act out in the days following. Some of his acting out involves pooping in his crate, peeing on the coffee table or general marking in the house. It has been months since his pooped in his crate, until yesterday. Marking in the house is more regular. (Maybe once a week.) I have tried to work on this, but I feel as if I am not making progress at this time either.

When we first got him, he had extreme anxiety. He broke out of his crate and destroyed the house and would poop and pee in his crate if he didn't escape. This would happen 2-3 times a week. We no longer have problems with this. He is normally calm and enjoys laying in his crate now.

I feel horrible rehoming him because I really feel like when you adopt, it should be a forever home. I just feel like I have reached my limits of what I can do with him. I hope I am able to find someone that can work with him and make greater strides that I have been able to.

I really would like to find a good home for him, not just some guy on craigslist.

Can anyone help me with that?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
If you adopted him from a reputable rescue chances are you are required to return him to them rather than rehoming him yourself. If you didn't get him from a reputable rescue, I would try contacting Doberman Rescue of New Mexico to aid in rehoming him. They will have the best resources.

Doberman Rescue of New Mexico

Best of luck to finding the perfect home for your boy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I adopted him from the city shelter. I really do not want to return him there. (He has a ton of ticks when we brought him home and I think that may have been the reason he felt like it was "OK" to poo in his crate.) I have started talking to the local doberman rescue. However, they appeared to be less then professional, using words like "dumping" and "surrender". It was mildly discouraging. I really just want him to go to a good home. I don't feel like I am dumping him on anyone. I don't want him to go some where that he is considered a burden. But maybe they have just dealt with so many irresponsible owners that they are just conditioned to think that way. I won't place him in a home that is less loving or less of a fit then our home. Thank you for your suggestions though!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I adopted him from the city shelter. I really do not want to return him there. (He has a ton of ticks when we brought him home and I think that may have been the reason he felt like it was "OK" to poo in his crate.) I have started talking to the local doberman rescue. However, they appeared to be less then professional, using words like "dumping" and "surrender". It was mildly discouraging. I really just want him to go to a good home. I don't feel like I am dumping him on anyone. I don't want him to go some where that he is considered a burden. But maybe they have just dealt with so many irresponsible owners that they are just conditioned to think that way. I won't place him in a home that is less loving or less of a fit then our home. Thank you for your suggestions though!
You would be surprised at the types of characters rescues have to deal with. I'm sorry if their choice of words has upset you, but they are your best resource in finding the appropriate home. In my experience, the vast majority of people that adopt through reputable rescues have the knowledge, patience, and commitment to take on a dog with behavioral issues.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
OP- have you ever had this thyroid tested? Hypothyroidism can occur in Dobermans. It's an inexpensive test and inexpensive to treat, if diagnosed. Perhaps talk to your vet about completing a thyroid panel.

Hypothyroidism, if left untreated, can cause aggression issues.

Hypothyroidism in Dogs: Symptoms and Treatment

Hope things work out for you and your boy.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I agree with RottenVonSpotten, about the rescue, the application process is much more intense then when you get a dog from a shelter. You might check with them for resources on dealing with some of the issues you have been dealing with, to show that you truly care for him and just want the best for him, while you are waiting for the best home for him. That is basically my goal with fostering, to give them the best home, training, rehab and nurturing I can to help them become as ready as they can for there forever home. This seems to be what you have done, taken him from a bad state to a better state. Excuse my ignorance, we just started fostering Dobie’s a few months ago, but I am not aware of the term head wobbles. Is that a symptom or an actual diagnosis?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Have you considered having a personal trainer or the trainer at your obedience school help you correct some of the problems. Housetraining and cratetraining is easy but it takes more time to undo bad training or lack of it. Obedience classes with other dogs should help him with aggression. He most likely has had bad experiences there too. I just think that these behavior issues could be corrected with more time. It is hard on dogs to be rehome.

HAving said that if you aren't willing to give it more time and try some new tricks- then by all means call a rescue. Dont' take him to the pound as it is likely he will be put down.

Best of luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts