Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Get This: My Red Doberman's fur of 2.25 years is turning blueish in color. We took him to the vet because we thought he was losing his hair, but it turns out the vet said that he must have blue in him. It's kind of funny because there are places on him where you can really see the blue fur now...

Anyone heard of this before?

Please advise...

·
Banned
675 Posts
A red Doberman can't "have blue in him", that doesn't make any sense. The only color a red Doberman can carry as a recessive is fawn, and not all of them carry that. If they do, it's an unexpressed recessive and the coat won't turn color. Unless he's a medical first. I recommend you find another vet.

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
micdobe said:
A red Doberman can't "have blue in him", that doesn't make any sense. The only color a red Doberman can carry as a recessive is fawn, and not all of them carry that. If they do, it's an unexpressed recessive and the coat won't turn color. Unless he's a medical first. I recommend you find another vet.
Micdobe is right - a red can't turn blue. A lot of people look to their vets as the last great expert, but unless a vet is involved in the breed, they most likely are not that knowledgeable about the specifics of every breed out there. That is why it is really important to educate yourself on the breed so that you can help the vet by being a really informed owner.

The color blue in Dobermans is a dilute of black; fawn is a dilute of red. They can't change colors - it is a genetic code.

Sometimes a grey undercoat is present and that might be what you are seeing. Dobermans are supposed to be a single coated breed but I have seen them with an undercoat in rescue on occasion. .... it is not unheard of.

·
Banned
675 Posts
It's not unheard of because the original dogs had it, and the standard specifically mentions it as allowable in certain areas. I've had dogs that had it on the backs of their necks, and dogs that didn't.

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
micdobe said:
It's not unheard of because the original dogs had it, and the standard specifically mentions it as allowable in certain areas. I've had dogs that had it on the backs of their necks, and dogs that didn't.
I've seen it (grey undercoat) on the neck area of well bred puppies a few times. It seems like it mostly goes away when they mature.....but that is just my limited experience.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Willow has a tan undercoat on the back of her neck.

·
Banned
675 Posts
They always call it gray, but when I've seen it, it's been more yellow. I think yellowish/gray describes the old undercoat. Radar had it, Mic didn't, Monte does, but his is visible whereas Radar's you had to brush the coat backwards to see it, so I'm hoping Monte's will go away as he gets older, it's already less visible than it was.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Yeah my first dobe Juno had a yellowish/grey undercoat,but i have not seen it in any of the others.

·
Premium Member
10,445 Posts
The pictures didn't show up--or more specifically I can't see them. Where exactly is your dog loosing coat so this "blue" coat shows up?

Red Dobes don't turn blue as everyone who has posted has told you. Your vet is wrong about this.

Dobes can and sometimes do carry undercoat and it can range from a grey that might look blue to a tan this is almost yellow. Generally you would see it on the neck but I've seen a few dogs who had more extensive undercoat which ran down into the body coat.

Have you by any chance had the vet do a full thyroid panel? Hair loss, which is common in a hypothyroid dog, can make a dog look like it is changing color since you may only be seeing the under coat. I know of a bitch who lost most of her coat before she finally was checked for thyroid--she looked grey because the only thing that still showed was the remains of her fine, sparse, silky undercoat (and not much of that).

If there is a good breeder anywhere around you I'd contact them and ask them to take a look at your dog. They may be able to tell you what is going on but it is definitely not the case that your red dog is turning blue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well my seven year old Red Dobe is getting gray around her muzzle and an occasional gray hair on her tarsal does this mean anything....Oh wait so do I it must be old age.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts