Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mensa has an appointment to be spayed on Monday.

What kind of time frame am I looking at before she's in good enough shape to be allowed to run and play with my other three dogs? She likes to harrass them constantly and rough-house with them ALL DAY.

My plan is to put them in the house when she's outside, and put them out when Mensa's in. I also will have to keep my shades drawn because Mensa will bark and generally get herself all worked up whenever she sees one of my neighbor's Saint Bernards.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Phoebe (border X) was completely back to normal activities in 10 days. Her spay went great. I wish mine went that smoothly! LOL

THe hard part was keeping her calm.........she was ready to rock n roll the next day, as I am sure Mensa will want to do too.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Lexus was very sore the following day and just wanted to sleep, but within a few days, she was raring to go, and I had to keep her quiet (no easy feat). I didn't let her roughhouse or play hard until her stitches were out, about 10-12 days. Just on leash walking for that time.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Cor Chaz we're both in the same boat! Tia goes for her op a week on Friday! Terrifying isn't it?! My vet has told me that there has to be no running off the lead for 10 days and my trainer has tonight told me that I won't be able to her there for a couple of weeks! Wish I'd taught her how to knit so she could keep herself occupied during her recuperation lol!!

I'll be thinking about you and Mensa on Monday.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, everyone.

She was originally scheduled to have it last Monday, but as soon as I made the appointment I realized it was just five days before she goes to Rattlesnake School (this Saturday). I wanted her to be on her toes for Snake School, so I re-scheduled it for next week.

I haven't told her yet. I know she will NOT like the "take-it-easy" part of the recovery. But I'll make it up to her by taking her places during the time she would have been in heat, when she otherwise would have had to stay home.

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
Isabelle was spayed so long ago I can't remember how long it took her to recover. She was a sleepy girl the day of and the next. Luckily for me - she is an only child and didn't have anyone to rough house with. I want to say about a week until she was up & running, but don't quote me on that.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
T spayed today. Took her in at 7:30a.m. Vet called 10:00a.m. I picked her up at 2:30 p.m. She said everything went great. The incision is one inch in size. Absorbable sutures were used. I do not have to take her back. I will call the vet in 2 to 3 days to let her know how she is doing.
She looks a little hung over. Lays in doggy bed with a cover on her—she looks cold. (Probably the anthesia) Small amounts of water offered rest of the day. A few turkey pieces offered. She has pain medication that can be given every 12 hours.
Exercise is restricted to short walks 7 days. No jumping, roughhousing or swimming. No stairs, restrict to a confined area. (She just lies in doggy bed so far) If she starts licking we are to use an Elizabethan collar.
She has peed and pooped when she came home so her plumbing is working.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts