Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my boy neutered three days ago, he is doing well and it is getting more difficult each day to keep him quiet. I take him for two or three on leash walks per day and when we get home he has major zoomies because he doesn't get to run off leash like he usually does. He will now run and jump more than ever in the house. I'm wondering how long others waited to let their dogs run outside after a neuter. I give him lots of bones and chews to help calm him down but I don't know what else I can do, he does spend some time in his crate but if I crated him for longer the zoomies would only be more intense. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
13 Posts
That's a great sign that he is completely back to normal :D It is a chore, but you just want to make sure he doesn't tear that incision....I've been there, and don't have any other advice for the rowdie behavior :p Sounds like you are doing all the right things ~

·
Premium Member
10,237 Posts
If you've never seen what a dog who was allowed to go and run after a neuter looks like you wouldn't even be considering letting him out to run to his hearts content three days post surgery.

We've had well meaning owners come in with their newly neutered males who took them out to the dog park to run after a couple of days. So much serum in the scrotum that it looked like they were adults with testicles in there. Pulled out sutures and open incisions. And the worst part is that all of that delays the final healing and you have still more days of keeping them restrained and their exercise restricted.

Do yourself and him a favor and bite the bullet and if it takes keeping him on leash and tethered to you to cut down on the zoomies do that.

They really should have limited exercise for 10 days at least.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies, I'm trying to do everything right but it isn't easy. I was sort of hoping someone who had the same experience would say they didn't wait the whole ten days and everything turned out fine but I certainly wouldn't take him to he dog park or let him off leash at this point. I have been considering letting him run off leash for short periods after seven days like for maybe five minutes the first time and 10 minutes the next day, etc.
I was only given instructions to restrict his exercise and walk him on leash for 10 days but I was hoping 10 days was just to be extra cautious.

·
Super Moderator
21,983 Posts
Try some mental exercise to wear him out. Puzzle toys, stuffed kongs, training new tricks. That can help keep them quieter.

Reactions: Dobemama33

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Rescue Remedy, get a Trick book teach some tricks,some vets use surgical glue to close the incision now days just best to keep him leashed easier to do it the first time than have to prolong it by letting the dog do what it wants.Then you have a extra vet bill extra down time may have to have staples or stitches its not worth it you hang in there.You take a drink to relax and give the dog the rescue remedy to help him relax before you know it the 10 days will be up.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I used an xpen and/or a tether for 14 days. Better safe than sorry :) You may not need to go the whole 14 days. My guy was neutered later in life and had so minor issues.

Reactions: Dobemama33

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I talked to my vet and she said to wait till the stitches are removed which will be 12 days after the neuter. She said that if the scrotum swells up it is a sign he has had too much physical activity. I do let him run a bit in the house now after seven days but it isn't full speed and I have increased the length of his walks on leash to tire him out. Everything seems to be looking good, I'm just relaxing with a glass of Shiraz now and looking forward to the day his stitches come out. I think he will have a lot of pent up energy by then.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Follow the Vets instructions...there's a reason for them. It IS hard to keep them down, but like somebody said...just bite the bullet, it'll be over soon.

p

Reactions: Adara
1 - 9 of 9 Posts