Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone, I am new to the site. My family is starting to think about getting a new puppy after our German Shepherd passed away last December. My wife always had German Shepherds growing up and I had a Doberman growing up so we would like to get a Doberman this time to be best buddies like our last dog for my 2 daughters ages 3 and 4. I have been doing my research about breeders and I don't want to make a mistake by making sure that the breeder that I do get her from has certificates for both parents from the OFA, the parents tested for cardiomyopathy, parents tested for hypothyroidism, no wobblers syndrome, and no vWD in the parents. I am not looking to breed this dog or show them, I just want a great family pet (I am not trying to get an inexpensive doberman, I just want a show quality dog that is healthy from a breeder who is trusted). I also would like to make sure that the breeder does not over breed and just has quality litters from time to time. I have tried to contact Carmen Pitts from DPCA.ORG but no response since Friday and also John Schoeneman but no response yet so I am not sure if either still breed from time to time and neither has a website that works. I would appreciated any recommendations. Thank you for your time.

Matt

·
ಠ_ಠ
6,607 Posts
hey there. where are you located? that might help folks out in giving you breeder recommendations for your area. :)

·
Always Grateful
6,952 Posts
Great that you have started your puppy search with health concerns on the forefront!!! Wow - that is awesome.

Do your research!!! Don't just take recommendations from a forum thread, ASK for all documentation on test results. ASK about longevity and get DATA!!!!! Just because a breeder has lots of titles and ribbons does not = longevity or good health in the closest generations of the pedigree. Personally, I would not just limit my search to my own state because that immediately limits your options.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Instead of just looking at the parents health tests, you'll want to look at the pedigree vertically and laterally (siblings aunts etc)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I talked to John today and he was very helpful and knowledgeable. I saw that he has owned and worked with Carmen Pitts so I must be headed in a right direction.

·
Spartacus
149 Posts
Hello everyone, I am new to the site. My family is starting to think about getting a new puppy after our German Shepherd passed away last December. My wife always had German Shepherds growing up and I had a Doberman growing up so we would like to get a Doberman this time to be best buddies like our last dog for my 2 daughters ages 3 and 4. I have been doing my research about breeders and I don't want to make a mistake by making sure that the breeder that I do get her from has certificates for both parents from the OFA, the parents tested for cardiomyopathy, parents tested for hypothyroidism, no wobblers syndrome, and no vWD in the parents. I am not looking to breed this dog or show them, I just want a great family pet (I am not trying to get an inexpensive doberman, I just want a show quality dog that is healthy from a breeder who is trusted). I also would like to make sure that the breeder does not over breed and just has quality litters from time to time. I have tried to contact Carmen Pitts from DPCA.ORG but no response since Friday and also John Schoeneman but no response yet so I am not sure if either still breed from time to time and neither has a website that works. I would appreciated any recommendations. Thank you for your time.

Matt
There are several of us who have chosen Pam DeHetre of Pamelots. I just got my boy from her a couple of weeks ago and I wouldn't have done anything different. Hit me up with any questions.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 9 of 9 Posts