Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

What a great forum, so much useful information!

I'm looking to get a Doberman which is cropped and docked and looking to import, as its not possible to get this in the UK as its illegal.

What im looking for are recommendations experiences from european breeders, I also understand that the import laws are changing next year and a dog will be able to be imported after 4 months

Thanks in advance

- BAL

·
Registered
606 Posts
I would suggest looking into Hawaii, to get a dog. They are rabies free so importing would be easier to start with. You may not have to quarantine then. You'd have to look up your import laws and see about Hawaii as most places consider it seperate from the USA when it comes to importation laws.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I would suggest looking into Hawaii, to get a dog. They are rabies free so importing would be easier to start with. You may not have to quarantine then. You'd have to look up your import laws and see about Hawaii as most places consider it seperate from the USA when it comes to importation laws.
Obviously you have no clue about UK quarantine regulations..they are very strict, but there will be some changes from January 1st 2012 making things a bit easier for dogs with the Rabies Serology Certificate (from one of the two approved UK labs)

baluk
Have you any previous experience with the breed? Any specific reason you wish to have a cropped/docked dobermann in UK? I might be able to point you in the right direction if you tell me more.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Heya Baluk :)
I'd recommend Semper Fidelis. I've personally spoke with Lyvia (she even sent me a copy of her contract). She has experience exporting dobermanns, and I can make a safe bet she can provide a cropped and docked dobermann too. She health tests too- I asked about major health tests, especially DCM screening, and she provided proof and knowledge about 'red flag' pedigrees.
News - Semper Fidelis Dobermanns
King of Darkness too health tests, although Andrea does not have experience in exporting to the UK. ..:: King of Darkness dobermann kennel ::..
Hope this helps

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Obviously you have no clue about UK quarantine regulations..they are very strict, but there will be some changes from January 1st 2012 making things a bit easier for dogs with the Rabies Serology Certificate (from one of the two approved UK labs)

baluk
Have you any previous experience with the breed? Any specific reason you wish to have a cropped/docked dobermann in UK? I might be able to point you in the right direction if you tell me more.
not directly my cousin has had some over the years and alway been great and having done some research being to think they are and awsome breed!

we had a pit cross for about 12 years passed away last year, and now were ready for another dog, having recently been burgled and gradma being attacked i fell this breed is perfect. Cropped & docked is a preferance and the quality seems to be good in Europe and of larger size than the UK doberman (correct me if im wrong still doing research)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Heya Baluk :)
I'd recommend Semper Fidelis. I've personally spoke with Lyvia (she even sent me a copy of her contract). She has experience exporting dobermanns, and I can make a safe bet she can provide a cropped and docked dobermann too. She health tests too- I asked about major health tests, especially DCM screening, and she provided proof and knowledge about 'red flag' pedigrees.
News - Semper Fidelis Dobermanns
King of Darkness too health tests, although Andrea does not have experience in exporting to the UK. ..:: King of Darkness dobermann kennel ::..
Hope this helps
hey, yes i've been in cotact with lyvia have got a lot of info from her, still looking around at the moment really looking for feedback so its a good start

Also contacted Andrea but have had no response

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
not directly my cousin has had some over the years and alway been great and having done some research being to think they are and awsome breed!

we had a pit cross for about 12 years passed away last year, and now were ready for another dog, having recently been burgled and gradma being attacked i fell this breed is perfect. Cropped & docked is a preferance and the quality seems to be good in Europe and of larger size than the UK doberman (correct me if im wrong still doing research)
Yes, they are an awesome breed but, they are a very high maintenance breed and takes a lot to keep them happy/healthy & fit.
Do you have 2-3 hours a day to spend exercising/training him?..please do not get me wrong but judging by your post above,rather than getting a cropped/docked high drive euro dobe for intimidating looks,i would suggest you invest in a good alarm system.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, they are an awesome breed but, they are a very high maintenance breed and takes a lot to keep them happy/healthy & fit.
Do you have 2-3 hours a day to spend exercising/training him?..please do not get me wrong but judging by your post above,rather than getting a cropped/docked high drive euro dobe for intimidating looks,i would suggest you invest in a good alarm system.
were a big family and gave our dog plenty of time & love and tend to do the same now :)

·
Registered
606 Posts
Obviously you have no clue about UK quarantine regulations..they are very strict, but there will be some changes from January 1st 2012 making things a bit easier for dogs with the Rabies Serology Certificate (from one of the two approved UK labs).
Obviously people shouldn't be so rude.

How/why would I know anything about UK importing?? I gave him something he could look into because it MIGHT work. Man some people need to get over themselves.

·
Registered
79 Posts
JMHO... But Euro's tend to be stockier than Americans, though both lines do have their share of buff dogs.
I don't know about Import regulations, so I don't think I can help you there. I also had a hard time finding a breeder I liked (a lot of byb's out here and I didn't want to take a chance) and ended up getting my cute little mix anyway... Good luck on your search! :goodluck:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey all!

Anyone have experince feedback with Betelges Index

he as an impressive setup and very knowledgable, and very good english

I have been looking at Pegasus BETELGES 3 months old
(Obi Wan Kenobi de Grande Vinko - Utopia Betelges)

He would be about 5 months in Jan (when I can bring him over)

Would be good to hear from anyone ;-)

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I know this thread hasnt been spoken about for a week or so now, but I thought I'd add my 'two-cents'.

Im not going to put my opinion on docking/cropping, but do you really think it is necessary to import a dog as a pet? I mean, when a dog is that young is it very important that they are being socialized, trained and bonded to its family, its not going to get that in isolation waiting to come into the country? Not receiving good socialization at a young age could make the dog a liability to you and your family as this can cause SEVERE behavioural problems.

IMO a Dobermann is just as scary to burglars whether it has been docked/cropped or not. ALSO, a recent study on tv, after all the riots we've ,had stated that 30% of burglers are no-longer detered by dogs in a home. And if the police see a cropped & docks puppy in the streets, Im sure they will want to see proof/paperwork that it hasnt been done in the UK. Do you really want that hassle all the time?

Finally, how did you have a pit cross when this is a banned breed? I dont mean to judge you, but I cant help it. It sounds like you want a dog for status, rather than for love of the breed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I know this thread hasnt been spoken about for a week or so now, but I thought I'd add my 'two-cents'.

Im not going to put my opinion on docking/cropping, but do you really think it is necessary to import a dog as a pet? I mean, when a dog is that young is it very important that they are being socialized, trained and bonded to its family, its not going to get that in isolation waiting to come into the country? Not receiving good socialization at a young age could make the dog a liability to you and your family as this can cause SEVERE behavioural problems.

IMO a Dobermann is just as scary to burglars whether it has been docked/cropped or not. ALSO, a recent study on tv, after all the riots we've ,had stated that 30% of burglers are no-longer detered by dogs in a home. And if the police see a cropped & docks puppy in the streets, Im sure they will want to see proof/paperwork that it hasnt been done in the UK. Do you really want that hassle all the time?

Finally, how did you have a pit cross when this is a banned breed? I dont mean to judge you, but I cant help it. It sounds like you want a dog for status, rather than for love of the breed.
I think with DEFRA changing the rules, the dog will not be spending any amount of time in 'isolation', nor had it always been the case when pet passports were introduced. The 6-month rule is being changed to 21-days from qualifying countries; the dog simply spends that duration of time out of the UK until after that time is up. So having the vital socialization period hampered will not be an issue.
However, I do share the very same concerns with you. I'm hoping he has good intentions with what he wants, and simply not for physical appearance. I have some faith the two breeders I have recommended care for their dobekids and had always asked me keep in contact with them...

·
Registered
398 Posts
There are UK breeders who also register litters under the FCI and often breed a litter in conjunction with a partner in a dock/crop friendly country. I do this myself although no litters are planned for 2012 unless you'd rather have a German Shepherd.

Mail me privately and I will try to help

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Hi there, you're from Milton Keynes? Me to, what are the chances! :)

I am aware that the rules are changing, however I haven’t read through the details of the changes yet. I still believe 21 days at this vital period in the dogs life could be damaging (although nowhere near as bad at the previous rules) And I'll need to look at the qualifying countries, as most EU countries have also banned cropping.

I *thought* DEFRA were changing the laws to make it easier for people to travel/immigrate with their pets and for soldiers to bring their afghan dogs back. Not so people could get around UK animal cruelty laws....

//Edit: Could I also add that my dog is 5 months old with floppy ears, long tail and a stupid grin, and people STILL cross the street so they dont have to walk past me. And Im a 22 year old girl, so im not the reason they're crossing! :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi there, you're from Milton Keynes? Me to, what are the chances! :)

I am aware that the rules are changing, however I haven’t read through the details of the changes yet. I still believe 21 days at this vital period in the dogs life could be damaging (although nowhere near as bad at the previous rules) And I'll need to look at the qualifying countries, as most EU countries have also banned cropping.

I *thought* DEFRA were changing the laws to make it easier for people to travel/immigrate with their pets and for soldiers to bring their afghan dogs back. Not so people could get around UK animal cruelty laws....

//Edit: Could I also add that my dog is 5 months old with floppy ears, long tail and a stupid grin, and people STILL cross the street so they dont have to walk past me. And Im a 22 year old girl, so im not the reason they're crossing! :)
Yup, from Milton Keynes too :D, and only 2 years older than yourself. Would love to see your babe!
To my understanding with the Defra rules, importation of pets from qualifying countries also counts since they realised the chances of an animal actually being rabid entering the country was quite low. I'm just hoping that the 21 days would be with the breeder and not penned up in a noisy environment. I know Hungary still crops and docks, and is listed as a qualifying EU country.
Personally I'm looking for a docked red boy, but it's not because of the tail I went to Hungary! I like the bloodlines and they don't seem as 'overdone' as some other lines, and out of some well known breeders the two I recommended do all the health checks. (Holtering was a big one for me)
If things do change I'll gladly get a red boy from the UK. Have nothing against tails :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
not much to say ( but allways out loud LOL) but it's accepting to crop atleast in Estonia, who now incs in EU ...
I'm in the situation also to find a bitch to myself, (hopefully baby droped), cropping ain't problem where I live . Healthy baby to our family :).
I could be interested also for baby with 'strinkeled' tail, 'cause it's going away anyway ;))
Hoping to see someday our own black baby girly
- Zaza-

·
Alpha
8,119 Posts
there are always cropped and docked dobes on epupz for sale in the uk....

not really sure why you need cropped and docked... no one will come into your house with a dobe unless they see how soppy this breed is... dobes seem to be so soft and cuddly now that i dont really class them as guard dogs unless of there looks...

and as for size..both my boys from uk lines are bigger than most of the usa dobes on here..

as for euro lines.. i think some can be very high drive and probably not best for a first time dobe owner...

why not look for a good uk breeder.. much easier !!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts