Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
4,176 Posts
Thanks Kratty for that outline :)
We've taught the recall pretty much the same way. But haven't (until recently) worked with distractions. Since I'm almost always working alone, planned distractions (like the treat test) are difficult to come by. I've very recently introduced the frisbee and tennis ball into the distant stay/recall mix. (by the way, I finally learned how to throw the frisbee correctly; Kita's got some competition in "getting air" now :) In the past I've recalled her as she was running toward a thrown stick and she's always done very well with that. Yesterday, I upped the ante. With her at a sit/stay and me very close to her (maybe 1.5 - 2 ft away) I tossed the ball. Of course she got up to chase it, but I quickly "ah, ah, ah'ed" her and told her "stay" again. As soon as she recovered, I would then release her with "okay" and she'd fly after the ball. Step 2 was to increase the distance and then toss the frisbee - I could see her shaking, she was so excited to go after it, but she didn't :) Rather than release her then, I recalled her and rewarded her with lots of verbal praise, a few bits of hotdog and then the "okay" to get the frisbee. My next step is to toss either the ball or the frisbee in midrecall, but I have to figure out how I'm going to "correct/redirect" her if she decides to go after the thrown object rather than come to me. Any suggestions on that would be appreciated :) I guess the best thing would be just to start with a very short distance and work up like I've done with the other tasks, eh?

· Registered
4,176 Posts
DaKari said:
Oh yeah, I am anxious to hear suggestions on that too TracyJo.

We also have Da'Kari at a sit and stay until we release her to get the frisbee. She also shakes from excitement, I think it adds that extra excitement by making them wait on going for it and most likely teaches them patience, wouldn't you think?
I think so. The frisbee is Chi's favorite thing in the whole wide world. I figure if I can get and keep her attention with that distraction, I can do anything :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.