Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! My name is Simon and I want to tell you about a great adventure I had yesterday!

Well it was a typical morning, I woke mom up as soon as I could and got some breakfast and went outside to play. Pretty soon mom said she had to go to this place called 'work' and gave me kisses. I really don't like it when she says that because she goes out that door that I never get to go out of (unless I am on a leash) and doesn't come back for awhile. Well I decided this morning I would go with her to this place called 'work' and ran out the door. I have done this a few times, and mom says, Simon please come inside, and so I do. Today though, I didn't want to listen. I ran to the neighbors and started sniffing around, and mom followed me. She said, simon, please come here!! but I was having so much fun sniffing. Mom ran inside and got cookies....who cares about cookies when I can sniff in a new yard? She came back out and I decided to go for a run. Mom screamed and closed her eyes when I ran out in front of one of those things I get to go for rides in. Ahh the cool wind in my ears! New yards to sniff! Before I knew it, I was out of my moms sight. I hear she called this place called animal control because I had a bath yestrday (YUCK!) and she hadn't put my tags on my new collar yet. (oops on mom's part, but thank goodness I have a microchip). Well after a long ordeal, and mom walked the 4 blocks home to get my leash and favorite toy, I decided that my game of 'hide and seek' was over and ran as fast as I could home. Mom gave me lots of praise and cookies for coming when she called, and told me I needed to work on this thing called recall. I don't really know what that is, but sometimes we go out in the front or back yard with a long leash, and when she calls I get love, toys or treats. Sometimes I listen, but sometimes its just so hard, I am so excited to be outside! Every Thursday I get to go to these classes with lots of dogs, and I work on my obedience. Mom just doesn't understand how I can be so good and listen at home and at the park but be the worst dog in dog club. I think its all those new dogs to sniff! Anyways, I really want to please my mom and want to learn about this recall thing. Can you other dobies help??

·
Registered
521 Posts
First if your dog doesn't come on the first command , go to him and take his collar and carefully walk him backwards with the dog to the spot where you called him. Praise him with treats and a happy voice. And take him to the place that you started over.

Another correction is to put him on a leash and a buckle collar. Do the command COME and pull the leash toward you. As soon as he comes to you give him treat and praise. Even if he comes a short way at first treat and praise him.

Simon please don't give your mommy are scare like that again, please. I hope this helps you Simon.

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
Here's something I learned about doing a successful "Recall". The Recall is made up of 3 different parts. Break the distraction & get the attention, the coming to you, as fast as possible, and the sitting directly in front of you. Thats what we do for a successful Recall.

We started in the reverse order in our classes. We used the "Here" command to be able to get Nikita to sit directly infront of us. The hand motion is similar to those people bringing in an airplane with those nifty flashlights. Whatever side she was on, we directed her to our front and then used our sit hand signal to get her to sit. So "Here" meant to her, sit directly infront of me. Its important to do that, because you want poochy to stop and sit for you instead of running pass or around you.

The "Come" command, needs to mean that the party is with you. If something else is more interesting than your poochy will go that way instead. So when doing the come command it has to be in a very festive, fun, and energetic. It helps to start off small. With someone holding poochy on a leash. Revev your poochy up and run a short distance away. Look at Poochy and yell "<Insert Dog's name here, Come". With Poochy all reveved up, she will be wanting to go to you. Have the other person drop the leash and provide encouragement when poochy is coming to you. Encouragement words can be "good girl/boy, very nice, thats it, etc" all is the happy voice, until she is almost to you. You want poochy to come as fast as possible, that way poochy will not be distracted by anything in her path. Once poochy is near you, do the "Here" command to get poochy to sit in front of you. Very highly energetic praise is mandatory at this time, when they do this. It re-enforces thats this is a good thing and ofcourse, the party is with me. Don't over use the "Come" command or the Command you choose for the recall, Over use makes it become stagnate and we only use it for emergencys. Like she is in the middle of the road with a car coming. So when poochy hears the Recall command she thinks I need to come to you as fast as possible.

Now for the hardest part, breaking the distractions. Once poochy is distracted, the recall won't work if poochy won't pay attention to you. My girl has a pretty mean focus, as you can see by her fetch videos. So calling her name was not enough. We discovered this in class, when practicing when the instructor was holding a cookie for her and we did the recall and I could not get her attention at all. During that cookie test, I inadvertently said, "Nikita, Thats Enough" and she looked at me. I used that at the dog park when she would get out of hand and that would stop her. So, after that, I used the "Enough" command to break distractions and regain the focus. You might have to find out what works for you. Once you have poochys attention, continue with the exercise as described above.

Once these 3 parts are combined successfully, you will start to have a strong Recall. When we Practice Recalls, we do it maybe a few times and thats it for the day. Don't want to abuse it, since we use it for Emergencies. When we want Nikita to come to us, say when I have my lazy butt in a chair, I use another command such as "Over here", which means come to me too.

This may not worked for everyone, but it should give a good outline how to set up poochy for achieving a good recall......

I also found that playing Hide-n-Seek with them will help with the recall too. We play this alot. I hide somewhere in the house and call my poochy once, she will immediately will try to find me. Once she finds me, I make a big deal about this. Since this is only a game for them, they see this as fun and only wants to find you. I believe this helps. We were doing out of sight recalls in my last class and my girl had to come and find me in another room. She had to pass other dogs and people to find me. She didn't stop once until she located me and ran to me and was like. "I found you" I think this helped out.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Thanks Kratty for that outline :)
We've taught the recall pretty much the same way. But haven't (until recently) worked with distractions. Since I'm almost always working alone, planned distractions (like the treat test) are difficult to come by. I've very recently introduced the frisbee and tennis ball into the distant stay/recall mix. (by the way, I finally learned how to throw the frisbee correctly; Kita's got some competition in "getting air" now :) In the past I've recalled her as she was running toward a thrown stick and she's always done very well with that. Yesterday, I upped the ante. With her at a sit/stay and me very close to her (maybe 1.5 - 2 ft away) I tossed the ball. Of course she got up to chase it, but I quickly "ah, ah, ah'ed" her and told her "stay" again. As soon as she recovered, I would then release her with "okay" and she'd fly after the ball. Step 2 was to increase the distance and then toss the frisbee - I could see her shaking, she was so excited to go after it, but she didn't :) Rather than release her then, I recalled her and rewarded her with lots of verbal praise, a few bits of hotdog and then the "okay" to get the frisbee. My next step is to toss either the ball or the frisbee in midrecall, but I have to figure out how I'm going to "correct/redirect" her if she decides to go after the thrown object rather than come to me. Any suggestions on that would be appreciated :) I guess the best thing would be just to start with a very short distance and work up like I've done with the other tasks, eh?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Oh yeah, I am anxious to hear suggestions on that too TracyJo.

We also have Da'Kari at a sit and stay until we release her to get the frisbee. She also shakes from excitement, I think it adds that extra excitement by making them wait on going for it and most likely teaches them patience, wouldn't you think?

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
DaKari said:
Oh yeah, I am anxious to hear suggestions on that too TracyJo.

We also have Da'Kari at a sit and stay until we release her to get the frisbee. She also shakes from excitement, I think it adds that extra excitement by making them wait on going for it and most likely teaches them patience, wouldn't you think?
I think so. The frisbee is Chi's favorite thing in the whole wide world. I figure if I can get and keep her attention with that distraction, I can do anything :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the suggestions..I think we have lots of work to do here. I always make him sit and stay before I throw the ball.....he shakes and shakes and shakes also, and when he is running back with the ball to me I have been saying come. Baby steps! It doesn't help that he has been 'testing' my dominance a few times this week...twice today already. He gets excited and barks (mean barks!) at me and jumps up (he never does this unless he is testing me) and its just because I didn't go get the ball or he had to come inside. I put him in a down stay whenever he does this, and today I had to hold him down (just grabbed onto the collar) until he calmed down. I don't know whats gotten into him, i think its the spring air..:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts