Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm new to the forum, and because of all the help it's given me since owning my first dobe Jasmine (for about 6 months now), I was hoping someone could give me some insight.

I noticed the other night that instead of her knees being equally prominent when lying down, she is lying crooked, with one leg up and bent at the ankle at 90 degrees and the other bent under her and further back (see picture 1). No pain, she doesn't whine, no problems lying down or getting up, no trauma when playing, no limping...

When she sits, she sticks that leg out a bit, and it sits further forward than the left (see picture 2). Again, she exhibits zero sign of discomfort.

She's about a year and a half, I adopted her from a shelter and they knew nothing about her from before. She's a wonderful dog and just wanted to check and see if anyone's had anything similar before.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
She could just have a lazy sit but I would talk to your vet about this, to make sure she doesn't have a slight ACL tear.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Flirt sits crooked often and similar to that. When she had pano for so long as a puppy I had hips and knees xrayed and everything was fine. I will be honest and say it still freaks me out, but it just seems to be how she sits.

The left leg here is out further and she's waiting for a bite of toast :)

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
I don't want to scare you, but it is a similar "quirk" that my girl had. For every 100 dogs that exhibit it, 99 are probably fine.

Mac "kicked her leg out" when in a sit or down. She is also a rescue, with unknown breeding, and has other conformational oddities that are not related to her leg. She kicked that leg out due to a hip deformity. Not HD in the traditional sense, she was not even 1 when it "happened". It was a poorly fitted femoral head/hip socket issue. During play with our boy, it dislocated.

If you know nothing about her breeding or can't REALLY read conformation (there are conformational clues, such as "straightness" of the knee and the slope of the rear) I would suggest getting an X-ray on the hip. It's not expensive, and can save ALOT of heartbreak and money in the long run. Had we known about it BEFORE the dislocation, or hours afterwards, a simple non invasive procedure to insert a tiny rod would have saved her hip.

Instead, we had to remove the head of her femur and create a "false joint" by realigning all the muscles and tendons in her leg. She's happy and pain free, thousands of dollars and months of therapy later. She will always have a slight limp, and never be the athletic dog she thinks she is, and wants to be.

A 100 dollar X-ray I didn't know she needed would have changed her life

1 - 4 of 4 Posts