Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I'm glad to be able to include Women's Day among my resources for wisdom regarding all things dog. Prior to reading this, I had no clue that Poodles and Basenjis are prone to hip dysphasia LOL!

I used to have an old book about dog breeds that specifically mentioned that Dobermans are particularly long-lived for medium sized dogs, often reaching the age of twenty. I have often wondered if there was ever a time (perhaps before The Seven Sires?) when that was actually true.

·
joie de vivre
11,274 Posts
Wow.

Finally, I can get dog advice and what colors are hot this spring all in the same place.

:shoot:

·
Got mutt?
13,836 Posts
Hmm, aren't Basenji prone to a real serious kidney problem? Wasn't that is why some breeders actually went to Africa to import dogs straight from the Congo back in the 80s and 90s?

·
Premium Member
10,228 Posts
I'm glad to be able to include Women's Day among my resources for wisdom regarding all things dog. Prior to reading this, I had no clue that Poodles and Basenjis are prone to hip dysphasia LOL!

I used to have an old book about dog breeds that specifically mentioned that Dobermans are particularly long-lived for medium sized dogs, often reaching the age of twenty. I have often wondered if there was ever a time (perhaps before The Seven Sires?) when that was actually true.
I was pretty amazed that with almost no exceptions they managed to miss at least one critical health problem in each breed.

Some one asked about the hereditary problem with Basenji's and although I can't remember the name of it but is was such a big problem that the AKC allowed their stud book to be opened so that native African stock could be imported which did not carry the problem. When I first started showing the only colors in Basenji's were red and black tri's--the brindles all come from the second time the stud book was opened to get breeding stock that did not carry the genetic problem.

And you'll love this one, mmctaq. That bs that shows up in some amazing places about how long lived Dobermans are is from a mistranslation of a German book on Dobes--Dobermans have NEVER been known for their longevity. And I can tell you that when I got my first in 1959 there was an article somewhere that said that the average life span was just over 9 years for males and just under 10 years for bitches. Recently there was another article--maybe in 2010 and the average age now is just under 10 for dogs and just over 10 for bitches.

What is usually cited is that Dobes live from 15 to 20 years. My friend who spent quite a few years in Germany prior to the beginning of WWII in Europe says that the German publication actually said, 5 to 7 years.

Some of this misinformation takes on a life of its own over time.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Some one asked about the hereditary problem with Basenji's and although I can't remember the name of it but is was such a big problem that the AKC allowed their stud book to be opened so that native African stock could be imported which did not carry the problem.

And you'll love this one, mmctaq. That bs that shows up in some amazing places about how long lived Dobermans are is from a mistranslation of a German book on Dobes--Dobermans have NEVER been known for their longevity.

Some of this misinformation takes on a life of its own over time.
You're looking for Fanconi Syndrome in Basenjis. I believe that there is a test now for a genetic marker.

Yes... I do love the birth of Urban Legends LOL! I had no clue that this one was based on a simple sloppy translation.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts