Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I have noticed in the long time I have been on this site (always lurked never really made an account until recently as I never really wanted to get involved) that things have gotten so.....superficial. I honestly have NEVER in my 30 years with the breed and a few others ever seen so much attention to the "physical" of a dog, especially from people who don't even show.

My dogs to me are about personality and what they bring to our family in that way, not how "perfect" their crops are. I honestly sometimes feel like I am back in High School reading some posts on here and they are REALLY common. I'm not just talking about people discussing certain physical things, I am talking people bullying others dogs "looks" both on this forum and on Google images. It's honestly disgusting. I literally saw a few people gang up on one lady in a thread telling her how "ugly" her Dobe's crop was, I couldn't believe it!! The dog isn't a show dog and maybe it wasn't ugly to her? As you can imagine, she got really upset and with good reason. Thats like you posting a picture of your child and grown adults making fun because his hair cut is "ugly" although in this instance its worse because cropping is amputation and its permanent.

I know that when I would go on the forums for my Aussie it was more about our Aussies skills as a herder and just her general personality. That just is rarely the case unfortunately here on the Dobe forums. I have been with this breed for more than 30 years, even showing the breed multiple times, so believe me in those circumstances I totally get it. Although honestly, I could give a rats tail about the "crop" of my dobes ears or what joint his tail was cut to, what matters to me is the dog he/she is at home. I care about the PERSONALITY of my dog, especially with the Doberman breed where there is very little variety in the "looks" of the dog. If we remove the personality then the Doberman is just a "thing", a black/rust, Fawn/tan, Blue/tan, and red/tan "thing". My Dobe's are more than that, they are my friends, my companions, my family.....I have had Dobe's for over 30 years because of how they are and their temperament not because they have the perfect crop.......

Below is an example of people (not everyone, but a few) fighting about what the "perfect" dock is. Threads like these are everywhere on here, this is just one SMALL example and there are ones that are worse where people just sit there attacking individual dogs, calling them "ugly" and "silly looking"....Oh and by the way, the poster that didn't seem to understand the pictures posted, there is a difference between the dobermans in the pictures that were posted. The heavier set Dobe's are Euopean bloodlines and the thin necked Dobe's are the Americanized bloodlines (to put it EXTREMELY simply since there are more differences than that). For someone who is sooooo into the looks of Dobermans you should know the differences and understand what that one poster was referring to and respect his opinion on whats "pretty" or "ugly".....the hypocrisy is insane.
Here is ONE example of what I mean.....Scrutinizing starts on page one, but the arguing starts on page 2.....
http://www.dobermantalk.com/breeding-breeders/54438-doberman-tails-these-not-weimaraners.html

·
nutsaboutmydobes
2,122 Posts
So you come on here to bash the forum complaining about nasty, bullying threads which you say are really common yet put a link to a thread that is over 5 years old to highlight your point. :rolleyesww:

Some of those members in that thread haven't been on here for years, some pop by infrequently, some have been banned & one passed away a few years ago yet you are using their posts to judge the members on here at this present time.

As GK said there are plenty of other forums out there. Feel free to join one of them if you don't like it on here. We won't be offended.

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
I 100% disagree with you and I honestly don't even understand why you posted. Are you the forums mother? The forums boss? The priest? Who are you?!? Who are you to judge others for posting on a thread when you didn't?!? You could have disagreed with those people, stuck up for the person DONE ANYTHING!!!! But instead you just armchaired quarterbacked and judged from the sidelines. You aren't helping with this post you only make things worse. From day one on this forum I have said and still say, "Show compassion and empathy to those that are less educated because that is your best way to get them to listen and learn". I don't always stick to that but we all have our moments of imperfection. There's no compassion in this post, no empathy only judging, it's pretty much worthless. If you don't like how something is done either fix it or get rid of it but complaining about it does NOTHING.

In the past 2 years I have seen some AMAZING improvements on how people are treated, a compassion that wasn't seen before on this site IMO. There was just a thread about a bad crop. Most of us said yes it was bad but that we loved the dog's personality with the crop. Many of us and our clubs fight for this "look" and yes we are passionate about it. But way to bring up a 5 year old thread, in case you haven't noticed, it's 2016, not 2011.

So my advice is to either stop bitching and complaining about how other people post (like you did in this post and one of my biggest pet peeves in people) and contribute to threads by ADDING POSITIVITY or leave? Mind blowing isn't it?!?

·
Got mutt?
13,728 Posts
Um, you DO realize that all five of your posts have been to tell us, some of whom have been in the breed (and/or dogs in general) for decades, how ignorant and/or rude we are? You even dug up a thread that was several years old to do it.

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
Um, you DO realize that all five of your posts have been to tell us, some of whom have been in the breed (and/or dogs in general) for decades, how ignorant and/or rude we are? You even dug up a thread that was several years old to do it.
Thanks for reminding me to look at her posts. Now I remember this is that crazy that knows everything because she's owned Dobermans for 20 years and went to vet school. Also claims vets know everything, where a real vet will even tell you otherwise. She's now more knowledgeable than everyone else and everyone else is wrong. Although she couldn't give names of her so called reputable breeders (although I do know some). Yeah she was pretty much a nasty know-it-all on every single thread.

I find it completely acceptable to disagree with others, IMO that's what forums are for but if you can't be nice about it and if you're just going to tell people to disregard advice then you will get run off. I have no room for negativity in my life and neither does the forum. Weird since you say we only talk about looks that none of our recent discussions are about looks, huh, weird.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Can people be rude in the way they say things? Sure they can. Should people sometimes keep their opinion to themselves. Yep again. But in reality here is the thing. Its a forum board that encourages people's input, feedback and "opinions". The Moderators do try to help keep it nice so people don't feel attacked and to keep threads on topic. I remember a woman once asking my father who has long since passed, If he liked her hair cut. He told her he saw better cuts on a poodle. My mother chastised him for being so heartless. But those who knew my father knew if you just asked him a quick question that ole country boy would spout off the first thing that came to his mind. It had nothing to do with feelings. Don't ask if you can't handle the harsh truth. I have been chastised by the moderators for snipping at someone when I misinterpreted something that they said. I went back and gave a true apology and now try to give a little more thought in my comments. Here is also a little helpful thing that I do that may also help you. I don't feel the need to read every thread nor comment on every thread I read. I disagree a lot with the things different ones say. (I'm a bit old school, and don't think enough people train out problems but rather try to accommodate them). So you know what I do when I feel someone says something that I think shows lack of experience in the breed or lack of experience in training? I just go on, no need to comment. And if someone says something that seems a bit offensive to you. Does it really matter? an old saying "If you kick at every dog that comes out and barks at you, you aren't going to get very far"

·
Big Lil pup
6,235 Posts
Well... Personally... Methinks that Ms. Dobermantra is nothing more than a typical internet troll, jumping from forum to forum with no purpose other than to get a rise out of the sweet, naive and sensitive members that we all are. My feelings are so hurt.

BTW... I found the OP's post to be both "ugly" AND "silly looking". Can't comment on her dogs' "looks" as she has not posted any photos. However, if and when she does I will be happy to convey an honest opinion. LOL

OK... Guess I'll go check her out on the Aussie Forum. Mmmmm... What do you think?
aussiemantra? Yeah! Thats the ticket!

Mean John
Portland OR

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I agree with John and think that this person must be an internet troll.

In this thread, this person mentions being involved with this breed for more than "30" years. Mentions it 3 times in fact.

On some of the other posts, says 20 years with the breed. Also tells an OP at one point, to take what people say with a grain of salt. Saying that people who post could be telling you anything.

Sounds like that's what this person is doing, except they can't keep the story straight on the number of years they have supposedly had "dobbies". LOL!!!

Pretty sad life to have if what you do for fun is to sit behind a computer and try to stir the pot. Lol

Add this person to the rest of the nuts we have in this world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts