Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used Leslie Nelson's "Really Reliable Recall?" Shanoa's recall is good, but I'd like it to be spectacular. Interested to hear if anyone has used this. I'm looking for a purely positive way to enhance recall.

·
One Lucky Mama!
892 Posts
I actually apprentice with Leslie! The Really Reliable Recall is just that when you practice it, reliable. However, this is different from your usual "Come" cue. You would use the Really Reliable Recall in an emergency situation - Shanoa running into traffic or a dog running towards her. The beauty is that when you the practice it, the dog associates the cue as the best thing ever. The key is the 30 seconds of "fine dining" when the dog gets to you, and making sure to be praising them the entire time. In class we may sign "Happy Birthday" or another song to the dog while doing the fine dining to fill that 30 second span.

To start off with, of course you want to set Shanoa up for success. Practice inside without any distractions. You can have someone hold Shanoa and excite her a bit and when you give the Really Reliable Recall cue, which could be something like "Shanoa NOW", you would then deliver a FANTASTIC treat to her in VERY small pieces over a 30 second span of time while praising her the entire time. When you are starting to build up distance (having Shanoa in one room and you in another), after you give the "Shanoa NOW" cue you want to cheer her on (saying things like PUPPY, PUPPY, WOOHOO, etc., etc) until she gets to you and then use the 30 fine dining with praise.

If you practice this recall three times a day, it can really be a lifesaver. In our Family I and Puppy Kindergarden classes the dogs have to exhibit their Really Reliable Recalls in week 5 or 6 during our Really Reliable Recall Medlee Race. I usually stand in the middle of the room with treats and squeeky toy inbetween Leslie holding the dog and the owner at the other end of the room. If I can "steal" the puppy when the owner gives the Really Reliable Recall cue, I get to "keep" them and their owner goes over to another dog/owner team and loves on that pup. Everyone else gives it a shot and the pup gets to try again. I can tell you in the 4 months I have been apprenticing, I have only been able to steal 2 pups and I was trying REALLY hard. :)

If you have any other questions do not hesitate to ask. Again, I cannot say enough good things about this technique. It is easy, the dogs love it and again when you are in one of those life or death situations, it can be a life saver.

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
I have the DVD but didn't follow it 100%, took some stuff from there and took some stuff from Susan Garrett (cookies in the corner recall game which has probably been the biggest contributing factor to Elsie's brilliant recall) and it's worked very well for Elsie, I can call her off chasing other dogs and birds

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have the DVD but didn't follow it 100%, took some stuff from there and took some stuff from Susan Garrett (cookies in the corner recall game which has probably been the biggest contributing factor to Elsie's brilliant recall) and it's worked very well for Elsie, I can call her off chasing other dogs and birds
Any chance you could send me the basics of the cookies in the corner game? Lillie's off-leash recall has started to dwindle and I NEED to fix this ASAP :)

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Me too, please. I am going to start working with my little grandpup, Dexter doing agility. I am going to work on his recall and also need to make up a new word for it. My daughter and her roommate dont make sure he is going to come before they say it and neither do they enforce it all the time.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Leslie's "The Really Reliable Recall" sounds very interesting...thanks for bringing it up...MeadowCat

Susan Garrett (cookies in the corner recall game) also sounds good...thanks for bringing it up....the_discowhore

What I did with Amy, and she had to have a perfect STAY, ahead of a perfect RECALL.
- we worked on the FETCH inside and when she mouthed the toy...I gave the COME command
- then trained outside on the front lawn...added distractions "FETCH & COME"
- then we played on our dead end street...with a tennis ball "FETCH & COME"
- next off-leash city sidewalk walking (very low traffic area, at night)...incorporating the STAY command...at will & voice controlling her
- stepped up the level of distractions, relying on me to ensure her safety
Finally, proofed the STAY command from 40 ft. away...and when I raise my voice (sharp & loud)...Amy is not threatened by my voice.
- because I vary my pitch so much...and I stay calm and happy
She knows when I project a serious tone, for her own good - and I never allow her to walk behind me, in front only, so I can keep my eyes glued on her.

Once I had Amy up town and showed an old friend how she could catch a tennis ball (on one bounce).
Unfortunately:
The ball was misdirected off the end off Amy's nose, and went rolling across the road between moving cars.
- with Amy immediately following in hot persuit
One big a*s yell from Dad, with the words AMY STAY stopped her on the parking lane of the roadway.
- I felt stup*d I put her in that situation (many years ago) / but relying on the STAY command was easier or quicker for her to get stopped
(and she did it like, it was second nature to her)

Her RECALL is good to, but I perfected the STAY command more (so if need be, she will freeze in her tracks ASAP, without fail).
- walking off-leash, if we encounter a vehicle I often use the STAY or COME command (depending on the speed of the vehicle)
- and if a stray dog is in sight, its the COME command I use or put her in a quick STAY and run up to Amy`s side
Just a different perspective, I wanted to share...while I flip flop both commands, STAY is tops in our work together.

·
Super Moderator
22,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I actually apprentice with Leslie! The Really Reliable Recall is just that when you practice it, reliable. However, this is different from your usual "Come" cue. You would use the Really Reliable Recall in an emergency situation - Shanoa running into traffic or a dog running towards her. The beauty is that when you the practice it, the dog associates the cue as the best thing ever. The key is the 30 seconds of "fine dining" when the dog gets to you, and making sure to be praising them the entire time. In class we may sign "Happy Birthday" or another song to the dog while doing the fine dining to fill that 30 second span.

To start off with, of course you want to set Shanoa up for success. Practice inside without any distractions. You can have someone hold Shanoa and excite her a bit and when you give the Really Reliable Recall cue, which could be something like "Shanoa NOW", you would then deliver a FANTASTIC treat to her in VERY small pieces over a 30 second span of time while praising her the entire time. When you are starting to build up distance (having Shanoa in one room and you in another), after you give the "Shanoa NOW" cue you want to cheer her on (saying things like PUPPY, PUPPY, WOOHOO, etc., etc) until she gets to you and then use the 30 fine dining with praise.

If you practice this recall three times a day, it can really be a lifesaver. In our Family I and Puppy Kindergarden classes the dogs have to exhibit their Really Reliable Recalls in week 5 or 6 during our Really Reliable Recall Medlee Race. I usually stand in the middle of the room with treats and squeeky toy inbetween Leslie holding the dog and the owner at the other end of the room. If I can "steal" the puppy when the owner gives the Really Reliable Recall cue, I get to "keep" them and their owner goes over to another dog/owner team and loves on that pup. Everyone else gives it a shot and the pup gets to try again. I can tell you in the 4 months I have been apprenticing, I have only been able to steal 2 pups and I was trying REALLY hard. :)

If you have any other questions do not hesitate to ask. Again, I cannot say enough good things about this technique. It is easy, the dogs love it and again when you are in one of those life or death situations, it can be a life saver.
Thanks! That's really helpful. An emergency recall is something everyone needs. I'll have to start working on this.

I would also love to hear more about the cookies in the corner game.

·
Super Moderator
GOT's Kal-Drogo The Horseman (Drogo),TKI,TKN, CGC, 7 years; RIP Baron, Miley, Dax, Lonesome, Baron 1
18,343 Posts
I have the DVD and found it very helpful. I bought it after Baron was 98% reliable on his recall but wanted some other ideas for the other 2%. It is packed someone (who knows where) or I would gladly lend it to you. If I do find it along the way, will let you know.

·
Super Moderator
22,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have the DVD and found it very helpful. I bought it after Baron was 98% reliable on his recall but wanted some other ideas for the other 2%. It is packed someone (who knows where) or I would gladly lend it to you. If I do find it along the way, will let you know.
Lois, you are too nice. If you do find it at some point I'd love to borrow it. I'm in no hurry. Shanoa does have a good recall, but of course you'd always like it to be better, right? She's probably at 95% :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone used Leslie Nelson's "Really Reliable Recall?" Shanoa's recall is good, but I'd like it to be spectacular. Interested to hear if anyone has used this. I'm looking for a purely positive way to enhance recall.
I am buying the DVD today @ the instance of my agility trainer (whom is one of the best). She said it is a must for dogs who don't recall 100% of the time. The trainer gave me many tips from the book & I can see where they will improve my handling.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts