Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you know of a young Doberman in need of a new home in NORTH CAROLINA please post the info here.

After much discussion the decision has been made to adopt nothing more than 6 months old (so please no adult dogs). We have NO other pets.

Our handsome Doberman passed away almost 3 years ago and we have "looked" in the past, but are now ready to find the right fit. We have a child and many nieces and nephews that like to visit during the summer so a younger dog will be easier to "fit" into our lifestyle. And my husband is not okay with an unknown adult dog of any breed around the kids... which I/we have to take into consideration.

Our son would like a black dobie with "rust" markings as it reminds him of his brother that has gone to be with Jesus... but others can be considered. I am just trying to make everyone happy and since we have the time I am sure the right one will come along at some time or another.

So....the Wishlist is...
-located in NC
-6 months or younger
-male
-black and "rust"
** all things considered EXCEPT age and location (within 2-3 hour drive)

Thanks for your help!!! I would rather adopt/rehome first!

:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Also in NC

Raleigh here. 20 acre horse farm, home 24/7, and looking for a FEMALE puppy from a rescue. Will travel ~300 miles. Anyone reading the main post above...if you know of a FEMALE puppy, contact us pls. We want to spay the girl, and give her the best home in the world. No kids here, ever, but we do foster German Shepherds for the local rescue. Keep coming up against the " we don't allow ear cropping" from local rescue. That's a deal breaker here...
Really don't want to buy from a breeder...not the cash, but there have to be loads of pups in shelters....
George.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Raleigh here. 20 acre horse farm, home 24/7, and looking for a FEMALE puppy from a rescue. Will travel ~300 miles. Anyone reading the main post above...if you know of a FEMALE puppy, contact us pls. We want to spay the girl, and give her the best home in the world. No kids here, ever, but we do foster German Shepherds for the local rescue. Keep coming up against the " we don't allow ear cropping" from local rescue. That's a deal breaker here...
Really don't want to buy from a breeder...not the cash, but there have to be loads of pups in shelters....
George.
That's a real shame about your rescue. Ours has no policy on cropping, but a few volunteers are very against it. Luckily, our board has no such aversion :) OBVIOUSLY it's not something they will pay for but we got Mac young enough to have them done and everyone thinks she looks awesome.

It's, IMO, poor policy to not adopt to a good home (there are SO few) over something so silly.

I will see if I can find the name of a good rescue in NC for you guys.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Have you googled rescues in NC? I think you will have to fill out applications for a rescue, as reputable ones screen their adopters thoroughly. While I understand your wishes I think the first step is contacting the rescue. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone! I have been checking the local rescue organizations, and will continue to do so.
I thought here would be a great place to look as well. Keep me posted! Thanks!!

·
Banned
3,463 Posts
How old is your child and your nieces and nephews? Depending on that, I would not be too quick to discount a dog just because of age. There are PLENTY of dogs who end up in rescue through no fault of their own that are great with kids. Some of the dogs that end up in rescue are owner turn ins and they do come with a known history. All dogs that come from REPUTABLE rescues are fully screened to make sure they are matched with the perfect family. I would start by contacting one or both of the Doberman Rescues that I am going to give you info for and tell them what you are looking for. There are MANY Doberman's in North Carolina in need of homes. Both of the rescues below are very REPUTABLE and will do their best to find the perfect dog for you if you meet their qualifications. Good luck in your search and thank you for considering rescue :)

DOBERMAN RESCUE OF NORTH CAROLINA
Doberman Rescue of North Carolina

DOBERMAN RESCUE OF THE TRIAD
Doberman Rescue of the Triad to find homes for abandoned, abused and neglected Doberman Pinschers

and THE HUMANE SOCIETY OF CHARLOTTE is very Doberman rescue friendly and usually has a few Doberman's for adoption at any given time that are fully screened and vetted
Humane Society of Charlotte - Welcome

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Try these two... They come recommended by someone I respect a great deal.

Doberman Rescue of the Triad and North Carolina Doberman Rescue

All good rescues will screen you intensively, and patience is a virtue. Remember they are looking for the right forever homes for the dogs in their care.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
mthomas4327 and brogan007 Thank you so much for choosing to check out a rescue Doberman!

Good luck, be patient and please update us when you can!

Hugz!

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Thank you for rescuing. But with older dogs what you see is what you get. There is no temperment surprises if you get a puppy he could very well grow up to be aggressive but with getting an adult you know how they will be with your children

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Thank you for rescuing. But with older dogs what you see is what you get. There is no temperment surprises if you get a puppy he could very well grow up to be aggressive but with getting an adult you know how they will be with your children
True DAT! Plus they aren't teething, are potty trained, usually are crate trained, and are ALOT less hassle. Puppies are adorable. Adults are grateful.

As our rescue president said it so well once "puppies in rescue wonder what took you so long to get here, the adults are so thankful you showed up".

·
Super Moderator
21,989 Posts
If you are interested in adopting, it's best to fill out an application and have your home screening first. For example, the rescue I work with had a litter of pups born in the rescue a few months ago. All were adopted out to people who had already been approved to adopt and were waiting for the right dog. They never made it to our webpage or Petfinder listings. That also happens with older dogs who are highly adoptable (cropped/docked, good with cats, etc.). You have to be patient to find the right rescue dog. Be aware that some rescues will not place dogs in homes with small children. I also agree not to rule out an adult dog. We have placed quite a few dogs that came from homes where they had lived with children and were very trustworthy. They had no problems going to new homes with kids.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Quote TxDobieLady

"But with older dogs what you see is what you get. There is no temperment surprises"

Amen! I love older dogs for this reason. Plus, with children involved who wants to deal with training a youngster?

Also,as far as rescues are concerned, "older" may be as young as two or three years old.

Please look into rescue!

Reactions: astra
1 - 13 of 13 Posts