Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
re: the girls and question

Dog Mammal Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae I"m not to good at taking pictures I"m afraid !
But here's a picture of my girls. The red is Yanni and the blk/tan is Leah.
My meatgrinder broke last nite :(
This is a Maverick, and I wouldn't recommend buying it if you're going to do
anything other than chicken bones. This is the 3rd time this broke, and the internal parts are plastic, not metal as they should be. Does anybody have any suggestions on replacement? I know nothing about Great Northern or the other company, but was wondering if those grinders would handle pork bones. Pork bones are soft, so I"m not really understanding why my stupid maverick couldn't handle it. Thanks all!

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
My Mom had a great hand-grinder from the 50s -attached to the counter and all metal parts. KitchenAid has a good grinder on their pro mix master. I try and stay away from anything that has plastic parts, but that's getting harder to do.

BTW - are you grinding up whole chicken parts, meat, bones and all, or just the bones specifically? Is this for dog food?

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Sorry I can't help with the meat grinder question(we don't even call them meat grinders here,we call them mincers,we have minced beef not ground beef)so the manufactures names here would probably not be available where you are,but the gang look great and there is nothing wrong with the picture,just looks like a typical dobe owners house with doggie toys scattered all around,been there on a daily basis for the past 20 years or so.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chaz, thank you! I"ll go to that website you sent and look!

JavasMom, I didn't know when I bought the Maverick grinder that they used plastic parts. If I'd known, I never would have bought it. It has lasted 2 yrs, but still LOL Yes, I use it primarily for the dogs food, I don't feed pre-made raw but only in rare instances. I make up their meals myself, that way I know exactly what they are getting. I don't like to use organ meat every day like what is in most of the premade raws that are available to us here in Maine.
Thanks for the suggestion on hand-grinders, but that wouldn't work for what I use my grinders for :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I found a great replacement meatgrinder at Cabelas.com
All steel parts and bigger motor. A bit more than i want to spend,
but given the alternatives, I think it will save me and keep my girls
happier in the long run :)

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Izadobermanmomma said:
I think I found a great replacement meatgrinder at Cabelas.com
All steel parts and bigger motor. A bit more than i want to spend,
but given the alternatives, I think it will save me and keep my girls
happier in the long run :)
Which one did you end up buying.. I am looking for one also.. Wanting to start grinding my own meat too as no butcher here will do chicken..

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I'd stay away from oragns meats like liver as well only because they collect any antibiotics, etc because of the fatty make-up of the tissue. I am sure Java would love beef heart, since it's all muscle.

Also not a bad idea to buy sirloin when it's on sale and grind up the hamburger yourself - at least you know what you're getting....

Will check out Cabelas as well - I wonder if Chefs. com carries anything?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
re: grinders

frznbuns said:
Which one did you end up buying.. I am looking for one also.. Wanting to start grinding my own meat too as no butcher here will do chicken..

**I"m going to buy the middle one of the three at Cabella's.
It'll run about $300. with shipping, but it looks like it will handle
more than just chicken bones which is what i'm looking for. I feed alot of pork
and beef to my girls because one of them has severe allergies to anything with feather. Chicken, turkey, duck quail, all out due to her allergies.
She also can't handle lamb either. So that leaves me with the red meats and pork. Right now, these two absolutely flip for pork necks! I can get them for about .88 cents/lb locally and they are just the right cuts. I also hit the jackpot yesterday at my local butchers! I got a huge bag of knucklebones and 6 lbs. of beef heart for $2.00 LOL I thought I"d won the lotto!

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Yeah it's a bargain to us, and we jump up and down so excited to get such a great giveaway deal on hearts and knucklebones, and everyone else (by which I mean non-dog psycho people ;)) thinks we are nuts!

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Izadobermanmomma said:
**I"m going to buy the middle one of the three at Cabella's.
It'll run about $300. with shipping, but it looks like it will handle
more than just chicken bones which is what i'm looking for.
YOu're not kidding, that puppy looks like you could throw your hubby in no problem

cc

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Codysmom said:
YOu're not kidding, that puppy looks like you could throw your hubby in no problem

cc

LOL! Don't think I"d throw my hubby in, but I can sure think of a few other peeps I wouldn't mind throwing in that thar grinder ! hahahaaaaa Sorry folks! Jus jokin!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts