Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to get another doberboy (my boy was PTS last Sept due to DCM)...I've put in a couple of applications to reputable breeders and am waiting to see if there will be a litter and then if there will be a male for me. However, I was called this evening by my previous breeder who stated she's trying to find a home from one of her dogs of a past litter. Apparently the woman who owns the five year old doberboy wants to rehome him due to male on male aggression with her male lab. She must keep them seperate at all times and I guess it is getting too much and she wants to get rid of the doberman. This male was a show dog and was just nuetered this past year. He has thyroid issue, which is being treated.
My questions are: I have a 7 year old female boxer who can be leash aggressive to other dogs, especially female. If I were to go and meet this doberboy, how should I intro Tia to him?
If a dog has a long history of male on male aggression does this mean aggression to all male dogs? Does it mean I have to be hypervigilant with him around all males. I guess I wouldn't be able to send this boy to doggie daycare!!!
What other questions should I be asking this owner? She told me she uses a remote collar with him, but I've never used an e-collar and don't really like the idea of them. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

·
Heat Seeking Missile
522 Posts
Hi,

You will want to introduce them in a neutral spot. So maybe a near by park would probably be best choice.

If all goes well you will want to bring them into your backyard together and let them get aquatinted there before allowing them in the house together.

Just keep an eye on them, it will take a few days for them to get aquatinted. And you will definitely want to keep them both crated at night.

Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
21,896 Posts
If he's male aggressive, yes, he will almost certainly be aggressive to all males.

Reactions: TaniaShari

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply's...I've sent her an email asking some more questions about him...if he is a resource guarder, friendly towards people, crate trained? Because my boxer is leash aggressive (i'm working on that issue) I'm not sure I want to take on another dog aggressive dog...but I was wondering if this boy might just be aggressive to the male lab he lives with or if his aggression would generalize to most other male dogs...

·
Registered
137 Posts
i had to rehome one of my boys because of their male on male agression :( it wasn't helped by them being littermates. in the seven months since we rehomed jax, opie has calmed down a lot and often plays with other dogs, most of which have been male. he has had a fight with a male dog since jax left, but that was because my friends dog attacked him. it ended in about thirty seconds when i sprayed them with water, which never worked on him and jax. i have since found out that this dog is used to biting other dogs, but had never had one retaliate before. opie's best friend is a male jrt/staffy cross. i would never bring another male dog to live with us, but i am perfectly happy to trust him to play with friendly male dogs as long as they are on neutral grounds :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts