Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RE: HELP new owner cropped ears problem!

Hello all,

I am new to dobermantalk, it has been a great resource helping me raise my 4 month old Doberman, Jazz. I learned how to post ears properly from this website.

Ok, so here are some pictures of my dog. He has a short/medium crop. I have recently let them out of the posts for a few days. They stand very nicely in some poses, but quite often he scrunches his face and his ears "fold in". His left ear will fold over his forehead a bit. They are supposed to stand straight up like this: (|_|) but instead are more like: /_\

I hope you can get the picture from the following attached snapshots. Sorry for the bad quality.

Anyway, I post them exactly according to instruction, but when he gets in his kennel he goes to sleep on his left ear and it bends the post inside over his forehead. I had heard you could tape a popsicle stick in between the ears to make them stay apart at the correct length, but I was worried about putting something inflexible in his posts since he could hurt himself when he rolls over or is playing.

Has anyone else seen this on shorter crops?

Any ideas on what to do? Should I just keep posting as before?

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
He's got a pocket in his left ear and possibly one in the right but it's hard to tell from the picture.

Are you using the bumper method in the tutorial posted here? If so, are you pulling the ears up far enough?

I don't use braces in the middle (or popsicle sticks) on ears that have pockets. His ears should be posted at the 10 & 2 position with the bumper to work the pocket out.

FYI-pockets can happen regardless of the length of the crop. It means the posting is not being done correctly.

·
BYB Hunter
1,058 Posts
I think you might have pockets, but for Brandy, I put a bridge in between the ears, made out of the same tape used for posting (I used Zonas).

This is what Brandy's bridge looked like:

And this is what that posting created later:

For pockets, I think there is a bumper thread on here somewhere :D

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
I think you might have pockets, but for Brandy, I put a bridge in between the ears, made out of the same tape used for posting (I used Zonas).
Her ears look fantastic!

Reactions: Brandy&Melanie

·
BYB Hunter
1,058 Posts
Her ears look fantastic!
Wow, thanks! Haha she had such a nice crop to start with, so I was terribly worried I would mess it up! I think her only downtime between postings was like 3 minutes because I was so worried they would fall :p She loved having her ears posted because it was a treat-mania!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help, but what are pockets? I'm assuming they are the things making his ears fold over a bit.

What is the bumper method? Under which thread can I learn how to do this?

Thanks!

·
BYB Hunter
1,058 Posts

·
BYB Hunter
1,058 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
im in the same boat as you with riko about the same age too lol

when u make ur post cut a 1inch piece of becker rod in half and after you do the sticky side out of zones tape on the post attach the half piece of the 1inch becker rod about 1 inch from the bottom if that makes sense to you and have the bump side go into the ear

do it to both sides just to be safe

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
Reactions: Brandy&Melanie

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
Thanks for the help, but what are pockets? I'm assuming they are the things making his ears fold over a bit.

What is the bumper method? Under which thread can I learn how to do this?

Thanks!
Pockets are indentations at the base of the ear that cause the ear to fold inward.

I've linked the bumper tutorial method above this response. I've used this method to eliminate pockets with great success.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just to be sure,

The bump goes into the "skull side" of the ear, and NOT the into the bell of the ear?

In other words, put the bumper right on the pockets?

Thanks!

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
Just to be sure,

The bump goes into the "skull side" of the ear, and NOT the into the bell of the ear?

In other words, put the bumper right on the pockets?

Thanks!
Yes. The bumper will face the skull and if done correctly will push up against the pockets to push them out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes. The bumper will face the skull and if done correctly will push up against the pockets to push them out.
"Help me Dobiewankanobi, you're my only hope!"

Haha, just to quote a great movie (Star Wars Ep. IV: A New Doberman)

Thanks for all the help, I will check back in a couple weeks after a few more postings (I post 6-7 days at a time before reposting, is that too long?)

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
"Help me Dobiewankanobi, you're my only hope!"

Haha, just to quote a great movie (Star Wars Ep. IV: A New Doberman)

Thanks for all the help, I will check back in a couple weeks after a few more postings (I post 6-7 days at a time before reposting, is that too long?)
Ha! :roflmao:

I'd probably re-wrap every 4 days or so. Especially with pockets. You want to make sure that the bumpers are staying in the right place. It usually only takes 3-4 postings to correct the pockets.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
SUCCESS!! Thank You Dobie Forums!!

Just wanted to thank everyone on this forum for helping me!!!

Here is my dog at almost 1 year old - although I messed up on his ears many times, I stuck with it, took advice from owners, and kept trying.

I sure learned a lot. And I couldn't be more proud of my dog and my best friend Jazz.

He he is, Mr. Jazz!!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
His ears look great. Good Job!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts