Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Vicious Bitch.
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: Health survey-everyone please read! tutorial/pics

http://www.dobermantalk.com/doberman-health/68223-health-survey-everyone-please-read.html < if you have not read this or signed up, please do!

So, I got Juno's test kit. Although there were directions in the kit.. I'm slow and it took me a good 10 minutes to figure it out. Haha, well. I'll start from the beginning.

This is what your box will look like:

Our box came! by SynisterPhotography, on Flickr

This is what is in your kit:

Opening it up.. by SynisterPhotography, on Flickr

They provide you with a plastic box cover with prepaid packaging.

Prepaid! by SynisterPhotography, on Flickr

This lovely not comes inside:

A very nice letter. by SynisterPhotography, on Flickr

There are TWO types of swabs, with TWO of each that you have to use. Cheek swabs for the CHEEK:

Swaaabs by SynisterPhotography, on Flickr

Saliva swabs, these do NO touch the cheek or gums:

Test swabs by SynisterPhotography, on Flickr

It doesn't really matter what order you choose to do, I went with the Saliva ones first. Hold them in your dog's mouth without touching the cheek or gums for 30 seconds each. Once done, place in the tube, screw the cap on, and shake well. Then the two cheek swabs, one for each cheek. These go back in the packages they came in. The lab provides a ziplock bag and a weird gray thingy. All of the swabs and the gray thing go back in the bag, in the box, along with the consent forms they send. There are also labels on the swabs. Please fill out that information too.
Here is my kit about to be sealed in the plastic:

Ready to send out! by SynisterPhotography, on Flickr

And a tired Juno afterwards:

Pooped pup. by SynisterPhotography, on Flickr

Hope this helps.. lol. I hope I'm not the only one.

·
The Dopie Dobie
1,281 Posts
Yes this is what mine looked like, i know i read the directions and was like...........oh..i...got...this. Sent mine off to the lab yesterday

·
Vicious Bitch.
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glad I'm not the only one! And please excuse all of my typos. I should really read before posting.

All I got was an envelope with two swabs and instructions! Arrived today.
Huh, that's strange? Does Prime have any complusive behaviors? Juno does. Maybe that's why?

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I don't know how I will get Kahlua to hold still long enough to hold that in her mouth... :/

She drools pretty well though
Thanks for this! My kit hasn't come, yet, and now I have a brilliant idea for when it does: I will eat an apple in front of Rachael before I do the saliva collection... there will be plenty of greedy, anticipatory drool LOL!

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I did the survey, but I don't think they will send me a package since I live out of the country. Hope they find some interesting results!

·
Dobes stole my heart &lt;3
3,418 Posts
Im still waiting for the kits to arrive, it will be fun getting Nexus to let me put anything in her mouth let alone for 30 seconds lol! I will have to enlist the help of my husband to keep her calm for it. Ever since her last obst. surgery at 9 months she has been reluctant at best to let you open or put anything in her mouth!

Reactions: Sinister

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I received my envelope with 2 stringes in it..........I just hope I do eveything right..........

Who would have thought Jay Van Andel and Rich DeVos would have given their names and funds to build one of the top research Institues in the country...I'm sure when they started working for themselves they never realized their influence on America. I'm so glad they had a dream and never gave up.........I thank them for helping Dobermans across our country...I love free enterprise!!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I mailed off my three last week ;)
I agree it took me a min too lol

·
_______
5,102 Posts
*facepalms*
I missed the not touching the cheek part w/the sponges. Our girl isn't very drooly-as it is it's a wonder she survives w/as little water as she drinks.

I stuck it next to the back of her tongue...and am pretty sure touched the inside of her mouth, not just sopped up saliva.

/embarrassed to admit this.
//ADD is a biatch.

Just got the 2nd package the other day & haven't opened it yet. Will *not* make the same mistake twice.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
I received the kit today but only the cheek swabs. Maybe the saliva swabs were only sent for certain dogs based on survey responses?

·
Vicious Bitch.
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I received the kit today but only the cheek swabs. Maybe the saliva swabs were only sent for certain dogs based on survey responses?
That's what I'm thinking. Since its mainly a behavioral/genetics study I believe the dogs with compulsive tendencies are extensively tested.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
That's what I'm thinking. Since its mainly a behavioral/genetics study I believe the dogs with compulsive tendencies are extensively tested.
I've submitted dna for Razzle to them twice, they're especially interested in her because she has CAH. They sent both types of swabs.

Could be they just randomly send out 2 sets of swabs to a certain number of dogs, too.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
I responded that Indy is a flank sucker but maybe that isn't the compulsive behavior they are looking for.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts