Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't found much information on this topic so i just wanted to add my expirence...

When we first got Duke we noticed that his tail was a little long and he sat a little funny but we didnt care and didnt think too much of it. After awhile we noticed that his tail was getting more and more sore and the fur soon was completely rubbed off about an inch and a half up. He would fidgit when we were training because he would want to sit pretty but his tail kept getting in the way. I started to look around for information on re-docking his tail. His wasnt nearly as bad as some cases i found on a boxer forum where the tail has bone sticking out etc but he was oviously in pain. I started calling vets and took him for a consultation and found out that the people had probably used a rubberband to dock the tail (I wanted to cry!).

We talked to the vet and decided to have his tail done and have him neutered at the same time. I was really really scared about making him go through more pain especially not long after him having his ears done but when we picked him up he was wagging him new and improved tail so much i thought the bandage was going to fall off and he acted like nothing was wrong (maybe it was the drugs but it made me feel a little better). Up until we got the stitches take out (@14days later) it was a breeze, Duke would nibble at it a little but not much but once his stiches were gone he kept breaking the scabs open until he learned that it was bad.

Anyways... Everything healed up fine and in the end I am glad that we decided to have the re-docking done because now when he sits all you think about is how handsome he is and not why he looks so sad and uncomfy and his tail isnt hairless and rubbed raw anymore. I wanted to share just incase anyone else was having the same problem and having a hard time with making a decision.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Thanks for sharing Sarahy :) I'm so glad that Duke is all better. I bet that was very uncomfortable for him. I had never thought about it, but I guess, whenn the tails are long, they are long enough to move out of the way when sitting; when docked at the proper length, they don't pose a problem as they are short enough; but, I would imagine that if they were docked and left too long, every time the dog sat, he would be sitting on and putting pressure on the stump. Poor boy! Sure sounds like you made the right decision :)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Yes and sometimes there's Bad healing and the tail is causing pain. I know oof a person that had proper tail docking and that happened and they had to have one puppy redone about a year latter, because he wouldn't leave it alone.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
When we got Raven as a 8 week old puppy, her tail looked ok but not great. the owners were too cheap to go to a vet and have the tail docked so they did it themselves. Well, Raven had a terrible scar on the end.. When we went to get her ears done at 10 weeks, we were surprised when we picked her up and her tail had stiches in it too. the Vet told us that he just could not let the puppy go there life with such a horrible scar on her tail like that and he redocked it for free... I have been happy with the results ever since!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Cedrics tail doesn't quite look right....it doesn't bother him but to me it just isn't right, it looks kind of crooked? like there is more skin on one side of the bone than the other.....sounds wierd, I know. I might have the vet look at it when I get him neutered but knowing these country vets I don't think he will do anything about it.....he also has to have a dew claw removed, it grew back after it was removed as a baby, I'm really not impressed with the overall job that the vet did on him, the breeders told me which vet did it and I certainly won't take him back there! Has anyone had to have a dew claw removed on a dog (besides new puppies)? Is it pretty simple or will it bother him for awhile?

·
Registered
491 Posts
When I got Darmok at 7 1/2 weeks old, her tail looked fine--beautiful and perfect, in fact. As she got older, and so much bigger, it looks like her tail is a little on the short side. Looks almost like a Rottie cut, you know, a little shorter than most dobies have. But no scarring, no baldness, and it's kinda cute on her big ol' butt! Sasha's tail is long enough to make a fist around and still see the end of her tail through my fist. She does have a little tiny scar from the stitches, but most of her hair grew over it and it's not noticeable. I didnt even know that you could have an older dog re-docked!

·
Registered
742 Posts
When i got king his tail was quite long as well. After a while, he started to chew it open so i took him to the vet that docked his tail in the first place. It turned out that when he was sitting down, his nub(as i like to call it) was hitting the ground. The nerve ending ended up getting damaged and he had to have it redone. After it was redone, his tail is no longer tucked in, he doesnt chow on it, and he is much happier...well he was until the hair loss and itching started.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts