Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I hope that I made the right decision. I didn't want to say anything until I had talked to the vet to see if it was even an option, but Rommel is at the vet tonight and is getting his ears re-cropped.

His left ear has weak cartilage, so I have been keeping it either taped up, or with a breathe right strip in it. Taking them down about every 3rd day for an air-out. A vet in Fayetteville, NC (about 2 1/2 hours from me) came highly recommended, and I have seen 2 dogs that he has done. I made the appointment about a week and a half ago, so today we went out there and met with him. He said that Rommels ears were very heavy, and that he thought he could A:) Make them stand erect faster and B:) Improve the "look" of them

I liked the "look" of Rommels ears...sort of....but I never really "loved" the look of them, they were to wide or something. After seeing the books full of pictures of dogs that this vet has done, I see why they say that a good ear crop is an art. He does BEAUTIFUL ears. He was showing me dogs with similar "head shapes" and he recommended specific crop "designs" to compliment him. I wish I would have known about him the first time around, but I didn't and I can't change that now. His ears just didn't do him any justice, if that makes sense.

I feel somewhat selfish for putting Rommel through the re-crop, but the vet said that he should be up in tape for about 2 weeks after the re-crop (re taped once after a week) and that he thinks they will stand. We are going to take a little off in length, not much though, but narrow it out a little, and take off some of the "weight" So hopefully in the long run, not having to be taped up forever will make up for some of the pain he is going to go through now. :sadcry:

Of all of the pictures that I took with me, the crop style that we decided on is the same as CH. Brykris Red Badge of Courage. He said that he thinks that would be a good look for Rommel, and I love the look of his ears.

Anyway, I don't know if I just need reassurance, or just to tell someone...but I think I made the right decision, and I will pick him up tomorrow at 4. I will be sure to post some pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Well, Personally if it was me and my boys ears were weak and wouldnt stay standng for long periods and i HAD the option of re-cropping i think i would. And if the vet is as good as you say then have hope! It can be done. I dont really want to brag but give hope to you about the 2 week taping.. but but its possable that they will be standing after 2 weeks.. you know how i said that jacks ear was flopping and well he did start teething and i put his ears back up for another week and havnt had to do them since. So im hoping you have the same luck with rommels re-crop. and i cant wait to see the pictures!

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
I thought the “look” of his ears didn’t fit either; they were just too wide exactly like you yourself said. Not like any long show crop I had ever seen.

Good luck on the re-crop.

It can be a pain to find a well-qualified cropper that is familiar with cropping and all that goes into it and has lots of experience with Dobermans. You are so right, it really is a true art for a well-done crop, which is why reputable breeders take care of that for the buyers.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Here is what we are shooting for:

Just to give credit where it is due: These pictures are from the Howell Best of Breed Series, The Doberman Pinscher. Brains and Beauty. By Rod Humphries and JoAnna Walker.

The dog is Ch. Brykris Red Badge of Courage (I didnt see any photo credits)

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
dobesanddragons said:
I thought the “look” of his ears didn’t fit either; they were just too wide exactly like you yourself said. Not like any long show crop I had ever seen.
Yeah, the length didn't bother me, but the shape (or lack of it) of the ears was pretty awful. I think they'll look much better re-cropped.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks DobiLove and LapDog :) I am kinda bummed, I miss him, (he has never been gone overnight, and he sleeps on TOP of me!!!) plus I kinda feel bad for having it re-done...but I have to think of the end result! So thanks :)

dobesanddragons said:
dobesanddragons said:

Good luck on the re-crop.

It can be a pain to find a well-qualified cropper that is familiar with cropping and all that goes into it and has lots of experience with Dobermans. You are so right, it really is a true art for a well-done crop, which is why reputable breeders take care of that for the buyers.

Yep your right... I have made alot of mistakes with Rommel, but they are all mistakes that I have learned from. Unfortunately, Rommel didn't come from a great breeder, once again...a mistake that I won't ever make again. I guess I am still pretty naive to alot of things, but I am doing as much reading and learning as I can. It doesn't come overnight.

It is alot harder to go back and "fix" what you could have prevented in the first place, but in my opinion, he is a pretty boy, and I wanted him to have elegant, erect ears to match. Thanks D&D for the good luck wishes, and D&D and Murrey for all the good advice you give to me and others on here. :)

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also, when he was younger, his ears looked like they had alot more "shape" to them, recently they just look like they have grown or something. Does that happen???

Rommel Younger

Rommel Yesterday

See what I mean??

·
Registered
602 Posts
BackInBlack said:
Here is what we are shooting for:

Just to give credit where it is due: These pictures are from the Howell Best of Breed Series, The Doberman Pinscher. Brains and Beauty. By Rod Humphries and JoAnna Walker.

The dog is Ch. Brykris Red Badge of Courage (I didnt see any photo credits)

BIB good luck. I am sure by the way the vet sounds the ears will turn out great. Oh and I have that book also, its a great book.

Naveen

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Good luck to Rommel and best wishes for a speedy recovery. I think I'll have to take my girl in for a re-cropping as well. Java had an infection at the tips when they were taped- thank goodness we caught it in time and just lost the very tips and they have healed nicely. Have seen what can happen when that infection takes hold. However, one ear is now a bit taller than the other and needs the occasional Breathe-Rite. Will be posting pics taken at Easter to see what you think.

Doesn't seem quite fair that Java gets her 'nip/tuck' before I do....

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Good Luck with your Baby. You have all our Dobe prayers with you. I have been very luck with my dogs that the ears stood after 3 weeks.. but you never know. Good luck again..

·
Premium Member
8,843 Posts
Good luck with the re-crop. We will all be looking forward to seeing the new and improved ears. That is a great introductory book to the breed....I've got it too!!

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Good luck with the recropping. I hope all goes well. It is hard many times to find a vet that is experienced with croppings, esp. dobies. I know in my area here, there are only 2 vets that will crop at all. Hope the recovery is speedy :)

·
Super Moderator
15,572 Posts
I think you are making a great decision, his ears looked good at first but turned into "bunny ears" because they were too thick at the top as yo had said. Best of luck to you and Rommel with his new ears! I really love the dog on the cover of Brains and Beauty, do you know if the same dog is on the back cover?

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
greenkouki said:
I think you are making a great decision, his ears looked good at first but turned into "bunny ears" because they were too thick at the top as yo had said. Best of luck to you and Rommel with his new ears! I really love the dog on the cover of Brains and Beauty, do you know if the same dog is on the back cover?
Yes, I think it is. I cant find anywhere that it says so, but it looks like him.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts