Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it is almost 9pm here and we are finally home, it has been a really long day. Let's start with the good news... Rommels ears are re-cropped, from what I can tell, the shape looks awesome, and the vet said they were standing immediately after surgery. He took about 1/8 of an inch off of the length, so not much at all, but he narrowed them out A LOT, and he said he thinks that they will look great.

Now, for the not so good news... I got there, and I told them that I was there to get Rommel, and the woman says to me "Well, actually the doctor wants to talk to you, so let me take you to a room" At that point my heart sank to my shoes, and I was a little (okay, alot) concerned. After all...I was so happy with this vet, I felt totally confident in him, what could be wrong??? So we go in the room, and he comes in and tells me that Rommel is out of surgery, ears look great, standing...blah blah....(okay, whew...I feel much better now) But that he thinks Rommel needs to be tested for VWD because Rommel bled more than "normal" He said that after he got out of surgery and woke up he started shaking his head alot, and made them start bleeding again. He has a small hemotoma (sp) on one of them that he said should go away on its own. He gave him a shot of Vitamin K to help them clot, and gave me Acepromazine (a tranquilizer) to give him 3 times a day, until Monday, to lower his blood pressure a little and give the ears plenty of time to clot up good and start healing. I have put a soft nylon collar on him and attached a leash to him so that where I go, he goes. (I'm dragging him on his bed around with me to different rooms while he sleeps...gotta love wood floors :)) Basically I have to keep him calm until Monday when we go back for a check-up and re-tape since his ears are a little more bloody than most other dogs I guess.

Luckily, Rommel is a pretty laid back puppy anyway when he is inside, he knows not to run in the house and he loves just laying on his comfy bed watching animal planet, so it shouldn’t be that bad.

From what I have read about VWD it is something that you should be "aware" of, but is not life threatening unless he were to (gosh forbid) get hit by a car or get a bad puncture wound or something. I am going to have him tested on Monday, and read some more on it in the mean time.

Anyway, that’s how our day went, we are home, he is fed (he was starving!!!) and he is laying next to me on his bed (all doped up, but happy) I will keep you all posted, and thank you everyone so much for being so supportive. It is so nice to know that there are so many nice people out there wishing him a speedy recovery. :) I will post some pics in a few minutes.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Glad he is back home with you and is doing okay

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
awww good boy Rommel! I'm glad the surgery went well! We got to stay with duchess before during and After Duchess was spayed and when she was waking up her head shook a little...and the vet took some sort of accupuncture needle and in the little crack at the bottom of her nose more towards her mouth she stuck the needle in and kinda moved it in and out fast...she said on humans the spot is where your nose meets your upper lip and with your finger nail you can try that same thing on people for heartattacks and such...
keep us updated and looking forward to pictures once little Rommel is feeling better :)

·
Registered
357 Posts
yeah, when i had jacks ears done..t he vet said his blood was thinner then it was supposed to be, so they put him on Lixotonic.. he gets that 2 times a day.. but we will see how his blood is doing when he goes in for his neutering.
Im glad his ears are doing good! i cant wait to see the pictures. i hope they heal fast and hes up and playing soon.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Good to hear everything went well. Can't wait to see the pics!!!! Just a note, when I had Princi's ears done the vet advised me of the bleeding issue with Doberman's before she went into surgery and wanted to keep her at the clinic for an extra day after to monitor everything.

Take a deep breath of releif and don't worry about it too much, just keep an out for any bleeding.

Naveen

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I feel so sorry for him, I am soooooooo bummed out. These tranquilizers make him totally limp. He is just like a stumbling limp sad puppy. I dont think he has a clue what is going on. He started bleeding again a bit ago, not to bad, but enough to soak a paper towel. I do for sure think he has VWD. He didnt bleed like this last time though. He bled some, but I didnt really know what to expect. Piper came home with stitches in her ears, ears already standing, no tape, no nothing.

I hope that I did the right thing... I took some Max Strength Pain Releif Neosporin, glopped it on a hurt free (no stick) pad, put one at the base of each ear and rolled gauze loosely around his head to stop the bleeding. I know that it needs some air, but I didnt know what else to do, I think I will leave it like this overnight. The vet told me if he starts bleeding to keep pressure on it, the bleeding has stopped now. Would it hurt to use syptic powder on it?

·
Banned
675 Posts
There is no point in having him tested on Monday. If you get a test done at your vet's office all that will tell you is if his blood is clotting normally 88on Monday*. If he needed surgery next month you would have to get the test done again because the clotting time can change. Dogs can also bleed too much from other conditions besides vWD.

The DNA test for vWD will tell you if he is genetically Affected, Carrier, or Clear. Dogs who are Carriers or Clears will not hemorrhage from vWD, but they might hemorrhage from something else, so they should still probably have a clotting time test done right before any surgery, if possible.

There are different Types of vWD, some are more severe than others. The type that Dobermans have is a milder form. Usually genetically Affected dogs seem to go thru life okay, getting spayed, and what not without problems. But some vWD Affected Dobermans do hemorrhage, and some don't hemorrhage as young dogs but do as they age. Some Dobermans have bled to death from vWD. It's apparently a small percentage, but it can happen. Think of vWD like you do hemophilia. The dog doesn't have to be hit by a car in order to start hemorrhaging if it is a bleeder. A small bump could do it. Or not. It's not a s cut and dried as some people think.

The way to get the most information about Rommel's status is to have the DNA test done, and then regardless of the results of that, have a clotting time test done before any elective surgery, because even a Carrier or Clear can bleed from some other cause.

If he tests Affected on the DNA test then you know to be observant and take precautions that may seem necessary. The DNA test has to be performed by a company called Vet Gen, they hold the patent on it, no one else can legally do it. Their cost is $140 for a single dog, which I think is outrageous. If you can get into a group of other dogs you get a discounted price of $99, which I also think is outrageous, but they have the monopoly, unfortunately.

They have a website you can google, and read the information there, it is pretty informative about the disease in this breed. If you want to have Rommel DNA tested for vWD you send them a check and they send you a test kit. It contains swabs that you brush against the inside of the dog's mouth, then seal them and mail them back to Vet Gen and they test them, then mail you the results. You can have your vet do this if you don't feel comfortable with doing it, that's what I did.

If you can find out the vWD status of Rommel's parents, that could be helpful to know. For instance if his parents are both DNA Clear, he is also Clear. If his parents are both DNA Affected, then he is also Affected.

·
Banned
675 Posts
Tranquilizers

I think I would back off the tranquilizers unless they're absolutely needed. Ace Promazine can be dangerous.

Stypic stings, and it might be contaminated, I've never known of anyone putting it on newly cropped ears but I've also never seen ears bleeding much after cropping.

I think I'd try to keep pressure on them and take him back to the vet tomorrow if it doesn't stop. If he does have a clotting problem, whether it's vWD or something else, the vet can do a simple clotting time test in his office to tell you if his blood at this time is not clotting properly. And then he's supposed to know what to do about it.

Jessica

BackInBlack said:
I feel so sorry for him, I am soooooooo bummed out. These tranquilizers make him totally limp. He is just like a stumbling limp sad puppy. I dont think he has a clue what is going on. He started bleeding again a bit ago, not to bad, but enough to soak a paper towel. I do for sure think he has VWD. He didnt bleed like this last time though. He bled some, but I didnt really know what to expect. Piper came home with stitches in her ears, ears already standing, no tape, no nothing.

I hope that I did the right thing... I took some Max Strength Pain Releif Neosporin, glopped it on a hurt free (no stick) pad, put one at the base of each ear and rolled gauze loosely around his head to stop the bleeding. I know that it needs some air, but I didnt know what else to do, I think I will leave it like this overnight. The vet told me if he starts bleeding to keep pressure on it, the bleeding has stopped now. Would it hurt to use syptic powder on it?

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I gave him the one tranquilizer tonight already. If he is still bleeding tommorrow we are for sure going back to the vet, it's 2 hours away, but we will do whatever needs to be done to make sure he is okay.

I looked on the internet to try to find side effects/dangers from this medicine, it said it can be bad for epileptic dogs, and fatal to boxers. What are the other risks related to dobermans?

·
Registered
602 Posts
BackInBlack said:

BIB--I had the bleeding issue with Princess as well because she would shake her head and she was not a laid back puppy, even right after surgery she wanted to jump around and play. It was one of the most stressful times since I have had her. I used to be up most of the night to make sure she hadn't done anything to start bleeding and the few times it did bleed I applied pressure and then applied ointment (neosporin).

I would say you keep applying pressure if it bleeds and keep applying the neosporin, as it will help with the bleeding and keep unwanted dirt/dust/moisture out of the wounds. About letting them air out, that will happen on its own when times comes to re-apply the ointment, at that time you can clean the wound with a clean soft towel and then re-apply the ointment. Ofcourse and as always directions given by the vet should be the first ones to adhere to.

Good Luck
Don't stress out and loose focus....:praying: everything will be ok.

Naveen

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Oh poor baby. i hope that all goes alright! We will say extra doggie prayers tonight! Raven is a carrier of VwD. She has a clotting factor of 4% we are extra carefull of all cuts. When she had her ears cropped and the tail redocked there was not problem in extra bleeding. but she broke a toe nail and it bled on and off for 2 months. we had her spayed and no problem, the vet said she was clotting as he was cutting.. you just never know.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It is the "head shaking" like Mr Desi mentioned that seems to be causing the most problems. Under all that guaze that I wrapped on there last night, his ears are pretty bloody. This morning, no more bleeding, I took the wrapping that I put on him, off....and left what the vet already had on him alone.

I cut one of the pills the vet told me to give him 3 times a day in half. This seems to be calming him alot, and making him sleepy, but not making him totally limp like the whole one did. He is still pretty zoned out though.

I know it sounds so simple, but this has really been a long 24 hours. I of course dont want blood all over everything, but I also refuse to just stick him in his crate for 3 days until we go back... I think I will take his bed out onto the back patio and let him sleep in the shade while I do some yard work. Its a really nice day outside!

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
BIB
sorry to hear that rommell is struggling with the new crop. I'd be curiouse as to why there is so much bleeding this time and there wasn't last time. anybody know? Frznbuns I know you said that Raven was on again off again, but I would think that clotting issues would be fairly consistent.

FYI - just be careful when removing wraps and bandages that have dried blood on them. they have become part of the clot and when you remove can open things back up again. (I know you already know that, it's just the mother in me) give the poor little bunny a hug and a belly rub for me and Pollo

cc

1 - 18 of 18 Posts