Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

341 - 360 of 578 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,117 Posts
Missed this earlier. I hope you can gain the ground you want. Sometimes, they just can't be out in the world, and it is a more peaceful existence to work around that. At least, that is what has worked better with Carson. He seems so much happier and settled with life very predictable.
Thanks, Deb. I think that may end up being the case with Shanoa, as disappointing as that is for me. She seems perfectly happy to play with Richter and run around and play fetch in the yard. The new drug cocktail seems to be helping, too, so we are much happier around here in the last few days!

Reactions: EmilyB

·
Riley's Mom
527 Posts
Alright, advice needed - should I ban my relative from seeing Riley?

My dog's been good with my friends, who are strangers, coming over. Usually takes him 5 minutes to settle down, with the whole "sit-come say hi-treat-back off-sit-come say hi-repeat", until he's not excited anymore. I make sure my friends avoid eye contact, and don't talk to him or touch him until he's completely relaxed. Once he is relaxed, I give the friends treats to give to him after they make him do some commands. Been pretty cool, and he winds up loving them after.

Well, we had a relative over the other day... that one didn't go so well. She is a very VERY excitable and hands-on, baby-talky, stare deep into the eyes, kind of person who loves "cute things" and to grab and hold and pat everything as soon as she walks into a room. It's so bad that my cats all hate her and always hide when she shows up (yet, again, they are fine with my friends who are calm and don't push for affection).

So, you can imagine how that went with Riley... first I told my relative to wait until I got Riley into another room, before she entered the area we were currently in. She starts to get SO offended by this and tells me "Oh, for Pete's sake, he wont hurt me! Let me in!" but I rush Riley into the back room anyway, knowing better than that. I have her go sit down in the kitchen and wait a minute, but not as long as I would have liked. She kept pushing and pushing for me to go get him out. I did, and he started to growl and bark and pull me down the hallway when he couldn't even SEE her yet... so I stopped and waited... got his attention with treats, told her it wasn't a good idea and we should wait, but then she starts to get up and come our way and I know trouble's coming... well, Riley is on a leash and I know how he gets worse when there's tension so I ease up a little and he calms down a little and wags his tail and sniffs her, but I can tell he's still just way too excited and something bad will happen if she doesn't calm down in front of him... but no, despite me telling her NOT to touch him, talk to him, stare at him, etc., she winds up grabbing his face and rubbing him all over and baby talking him. Riley seems to be okay at first... but then she puts her face into his and stares in his eyes and he finally freaks out and he jumps up on her and growls and barks... at first it was just excitement, but I knew I had to get him off her... unfortunately, by pulling back, he wound up with a more aggressive growl and bark and I was worried he might have actually bitten her, but she told me he didn't... I calmed him down again, at a distance, and wanted to try and at least give him one GOOD experience with her before kenneling him, so we tried again and I told her DON'T DO ANYTHING... and basically the same stuff happened, because she doesn't listen to my directions.

Now I wind up looking like a jerk to my relative, and she thinks my dog is horrible and it's my fault he acted up.

Yeah, I guess it was, because I allowed her to see him.

So, she still wants to see him, but I am thinking I don't trust her enough to be around him. I feel bad though, because this person is my relative, and I would like them to see the good side of my dog, but it's just too risky to me. I don't even want her over my HOUSE anymore, because I'm afraid if I kennel Riley up, she'll find a way to weasel her way into the room and go see him despite what I tell her not to do. I don't want my relative to think I don't like her, and I don't want her to be upset with me or think I'm being selfish or anti-social by not letting them over. But... argh!

How would you handle this? She just doesn't understand.

Reactions: PrairieGirl

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #343
Alright, advice needed - should I ban my relative from seeing Riley?

My dog's been good with my friends, who are strangers, coming over. Usually takes him 5 minutes to settle down, with the whole "sit-come say hi-treat-back off-sit-come say hi-repeat", until he's not excited anymore. I make sure my friends avoid eye contact, and don't talk to him or touch him until he's completely relaxed. Once he is relaxed, I give the friends treats to give to him after they make him do some commands. Been pretty cool, and he winds up loving them after.

Well, we had a relative over the other day... that one didn't go so well. She is a very VERY excitable and hands-on, baby-talky, stare deep into the eyes, kind of person who loves "cute things" and to grab and hold and pat everything as soon as she walks into a room. It's so bad that my cats all hate her and always hide when she shows up (yet, again, they are fine with my friends who are calm and don't push for affection).

So, you can imagine how that went with Riley... first I told my relative to wait until I got Riley into another room, before she entered the area we were currently in. She starts to get SO offended by this and tells me "Oh, for Pete's sake, he wont hurt me! Let me in!" but I rush Riley into the back room anyway, knowing better than that. I have her go sit down in the kitchen and wait a minute, but not as long as I would have liked. She kept pushing and pushing for me to go get him out. I did, and he started to growl and bark and pull me down the hallway when he couldn't even SEE her yet... so I stopped and waited... got his attention with treats, told her it wasn't a good idea and we should wait, but then she starts to get up and come our way and I know trouble's coming... well, Riley is on a leash and I know how he gets worse when there's tension so I ease up a little and he calms down a little and wags his tail and sniffs her, but I can tell he's still just way too excited and something bad will happen if she doesn't calm down in front of him... but no, despite me telling her NOT to touch him, talk to him, stare at him, etc., she winds up grabbing his face and rubbing him all over and baby talking him. Riley seems to be okay at first... but then she puts her face into his and stares in his eyes and he finally freaks out and he jumps up on her and growls and barks... at first it was just excitement, but I knew I had to get him off her... unfortunately, by pulling back, he wound up with a more aggressive growl and bark and I was worried he might have actually bitten her, but she told me he didn't... I calmed him down again, at a distance, and wanted to try and at least give him one GOOD experience with her before kenneling him, so we tried again and I told her DON'T DO ANYTHING... and basically the same stuff happened, because she doesn't listen to my directions.

Now I wind up looking like a jerk to my relative, and she thinks my dog is horrible and it's my fault he acted up.

Yeah, I guess it was, because I allowed her to see him.

So, she still wants to see him, but I am thinking I don't trust her enough to be around him. I feel bad though, because this person is my relative, and I would like them to see the good side of my dog, but it's just too risky to me. I don't even want her over my HOUSE anymore, because I'm afraid if I kennel Riley up, she'll find a way to weasel her way into the room and go see him despite what I tell her not to do. I don't want my relative to think I don't like her, and I don't want her to be upset with me or think I'm being selfish or anti-social by not letting them over. But... argh!

How would you handle this? She just doesn't understand.
I've been in a similar situation, but my relative was my dad so I was a little more direct than I would have been with anyone else.

Honestly, I would tell your relative that he's not ready to meet her and I would not even remotely entertain the idea of attempting an introduction. This is your dog - you have to live day to day with the consequences of pushing him too fast and too soon. If he bites her, that's a bite that will stay with him. Is it worth it to you? It wouldn't be to me, especially since it was 100% preventable. I'd tell her that you appreciate that she is interested in meeting your beloved dog, but that you don't feel like it's in his best interest. If she doesn't want to listen and keeps badgering you about it, I would calmly tell her that you'd appreciate if she'd just let it go. In the end, it's you and your dog that have to deal with the ramifications should anything not play out the way you want it to and judging by your recap of this past scenario, I'd say there is a possibility that it might end with him barking/growling. Every time he behaves that way, it just makes your job as his handler more difficult.

That might be harsh and easier said than done, but we are responsible as reactive dog owners to always maintain 110% control over our dogs' environments. It doesn't do any good to put them in situation where we know they will fail.

In regards to her possibly sneaking around, I'd put a lock on the door or bells so that you know if the door is ever opened. I feel so bad for you that you have to go to such lengths to protect your dog because someone can't respect your wishes :(

Another option would be to show her that DINOs video in the hopes that it will click.

Is he better if he is introduced to strangers outside of the home? It sounds as if she kind of trapped you both in the hallway, which I wouldn't expect any Doberman to be okay with.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
I'm with rotten. You have to protect riley.

My dad was and still is,though not as bad, completely horrible with Mabel. He just doesn't get it and he's obviously a little afraid of her. She bullied him because of this. And then for awhile because he wouldn't listen there was a house rule (very hard to make everyone follow) that she was not loose without me If he was home.
He was counterproductive to our work and still is and I've told him so, he'll call her crazy and wack in the brain no matter how many times I tell him why she is why she is and then he still acts wary and afraid or frustrated or doesn't remember she hates people in hats and jackets and wonders why she still reacts at him....
At this point I protect her from him for her trainings sake and limit their potentially reactive contact

·
Super Moderator
21,117 Posts
I agree with Rotten and Sam. It's tough to do, but you have to protect him from situations where he is set up for failure. Also, I wouldn't put my dog through that kind of stress, knowing how hard it is on them.

·
Pro Snake Wiggler
2,267 Posts
I've got a question for you guys, not regarding a dobe and mostly secondhand information, but I hope that's okay. My uncle has 3 hunting labs, question's about 1 of them; Major.

Major has always been a "strange" dog. It's like he doesn't have any short-term memory and his long-term is going. If you are not a constant daily occurrence in the household, he will not remember you. He even went so far as to corner and bark at my uncle, his owner, after he was away on business for a few days. He's gotten a little better... the core family can come in and greet him, but with anyone else all bets are off.

He gets "lost" very easily, both in and out of the house. He's lived in that house for the past 5 years and daily will become very confused like he doesn't know where he is, start whining and barking and being very distressed. Vacant far-off look, tossing his head around sniffing like he's looking for something. Previously, during this time no humans could touch him because he would redirect onto them. The other two dogs used to go up to him and lean on him when he did this and he'd snap out of it sooner and they'd lead him around the house for the rest of the day. In the past couple months though he's started to redirect onto their other male, who is not willing to forgive the rudeness and it turns into a 3-dog brawl. He is now kept on a crate-and-rotate schedule to keep him separate from the other two. He is worse and these episodes where he gets "lost" occur much more frequently.

He is tentatively diagnosed, my uncle can't pronounce it correctly so I can't spell it correctly, but it's something the vet is trying to treat with "doggy prozac". He's been on it since a few days before Easter, which was the last time he started a brawl involving the other dogs. His eyes have been checked and he's not blind or deaf. He doesn't have epilepsy either.

Now, when I've seen him (they live 2 hours away so I can't every day), he has recognized me once he gets my scent. What has worked for people he does know, but doesn't recognize, is to have him behind a gate and allow him to sniff you through the gate. When he first saw me this Easter his eyes glazed over and became vacant, but once he sniffed me he "came back" to himself and was really excited... normal lab "omg you're a friend!" stuff.

In earlier years I have seen his episodes and they are quite frightening. He truly looks like he has no idea where he is, freezes up and starts wailing and tossing his head and sniffing in all directions. I have seen the other two labs lean against him and he comes out of this trance or whatever it is much easier than when he's left to do it by himself. I have seen him go after my uncle in this state. Recently I've seen him go after the other labs like this too. It's very sad, this dog chose my uncle's youngest daughter as "his" human, but he is now too volatile to be near her, as she is skinny and petite and he is about 90# (fat). They have no way of predicting when an episode is going to come on and basically it's turned into a mad scramble off the floor and everyone gives him 5ft of space when it starts.

So... ideas to perhaps give them a little encouragement, or to help bring a little peace to the household? Right now they are debating euthanasia if the pills don't work. Yes, they notified the breeder (who is not so great, 'nother kettle o fish) who responded that his dame did that sometimes and they were making too big of a deal over it, but if they wanted he'd just bred her again and they were welcome to a puppy from her to make it up to them. *sigh*

·
Super Moderator
21,117 Posts
I've got a question for you guys, not regarding a dobe and mostly secondhand information, but I hope that's okay. My uncle has 3 hunting labs, question's about 1 of them; Major.

Major has always been a "strange" dog. It's like he doesn't have any short-term memory and his long-term is going. If you are not a constant daily occurrence in the household, he will not remember you. He even went so far as to corner and bark at my uncle, his owner, after he was away on business for a few days. He's gotten a little better... the core family can come in and greet him, but with anyone else all bets are off.

He gets "lost" very easily, both in and out of the house. He's lived in that house for the past 5 years and daily will become very confused like he doesn't know where he is, start whining and barking and being very distressed. Vacant far-off look, tossing his head around sniffing like he's looking for something. Previously, during this time no humans could touch him because he would redirect onto them. The other two dogs used to go up to him and lean on him when he did this and he'd snap out of it sooner and they'd lead him around the house for the rest of the day. In the past couple months though he's started to redirect onto their other male, who is not willing to forgive the rudeness and it turns into a 3-dog brawl. He is now kept on a crate-and-rotate schedule to keep him separate from the other two. He is worse and these episodes where he gets "lost" occur much more frequently.

He is tentatively diagnosed, my uncle can't pronounce it correctly so I can't spell it correctly, but it's something the vet is trying to treat with "doggy prozac". He's been on it since a few days before Easter, which was the last time he started a brawl involving the other dogs. His eyes have been checked and he's not blind or deaf. He doesn't have epilepsy either.

Now, when I've seen him (they live 2 hours away so I can't every day), he has recognized me once he gets my scent. What has worked for people he does know, but doesn't recognize, is to have him behind a gate and allow him to sniff you through the gate. When he first saw me this Easter his eyes glazed over and became vacant, but once he sniffed me he "came back" to himself and was really excited... normal lab "omg you're a friend!" stuff.

In earlier years I have seen his episodes and they are quite frightening. He truly looks like he has no idea where he is, freezes up and starts wailing and tossing his head and sniffing in all directions. I have seen the other two labs lean against him and he comes out of this trance or whatever it is much easier than when he's left to do it by himself. I have seen him go after my uncle in this state. Recently I've seen him go after the other labs like this too. It's very sad, this dog chose my uncle's youngest daughter as "his" human, but he is now too volatile to be near her, as she is skinny and petite and he is about 90# (fat). They have no way of predicting when an episode is going to come on and basically it's turned into a mad scramble off the floor and everyone gives him 5ft of space when it starts.

So... ideas to perhaps give them a little encouragement, or to help bring a little peace to the household? Right now they are debating euthanasia if the pills don't work. Yes, they notified the breeder (who is not so great, 'nother kettle o fish) who responded that his dame did that sometimes and they were making too big of a deal over it, but if they wanted he'd just bred her again and they were welcome to a puppy from her to make it up to them. *sigh*
I'm no vet, but to me that sounds like a neurological disorder, and I can't see fluoxetine (generic name of Prozac, if that's what they are actually using) changing things all that much. It *might* improve things, might not. I can't imagine a general practice vet being equipped to help them very well.

Would they be at all willing to consult with a veterinary behaviorist? They deal with more than just reactivity. For example, they'd be the ones you would go to for something like canine cognitive disfunction, which can occur in senior dogs. Honestly, if it were me, I'd be looking for a university setting where I could have a canine neurologist and behaviorist work together to see what they can come up with.

Reactions: WesDDS

·
Pro Snake Wiggler
2,267 Posts
I'm no vet, but to me that sounds like a neurological disorder, and I can't see fluoxetine (generic name of Prozac, if that's what they are actually using) changing things all that much. It *might* improve things, might not. I can't imagine a general practice vet being equipped to help them very well.

Would they be at all willing to consult with a veterinary behaviorist? They deal with more than just reactivity. For example, they'd be the ones you would go to for something like canine cognitive disfunction, which can occur in senior dogs. Honestly, if it were me, I'd be looking for a university setting where I could have a canine neurologist and behaviorist work together to see what they can come up with.
I will ask my uncle once I can get him on the phone, if he can pronounce it as best he can and also look at the pill bottle to tell me what the medication is. I know that Major has connected bites on both of the other two labs. I also know he has not connected when going after a human- my uncle is intolerant of dog bites and Major would not still be alive if he'd drawn blood. He has said that if he bites one of them, that will be the last straw.

They live in a more country area but I can try to find them a veterinary behaviorist that's decently close by, or a neurologist, or both. After that I can guarantee you that their willingness will depend on cost. TBH if he was my dog I would have taken charge with finding the cause when he first started to "lose it", at 18 months. He was a mischievous little puppy and ultra sweet, but he stopped being able to recognize those who were not constantly in the house around 18 months and started losing himself in the house at about 2 years.

It's gotten progressively worse since. He's 5 now, which makes me think he's not affected by the common senior things, but who knows. He did go completely grey-faced once he hit 3 years, I think probably from the constant stress of the episodes. If he has any of his before-personality now, it's only around for a few hours before another episode knocks him back again. He is VERY sweet when not... doing whatever it is... he seems to sense the constant stress and is full of submissive/appeasing gestures whenever he's "himself", which like I said is very rare. He's been off hunting since he was 2.5, neutered around then.

To their credit, they just figured he'd gone blind. They've gotten all three of their labs from this breeder, and had a little puppy from him before Major. Scout (puppy) ended up dying at 6 months at about the size of an 8 week old puppy after losing a battle with some pretty intense kidney disease and then failure. They notified the breeder who gave them Major to "make up" for it. Their other male has a limp he's had since birth, and their female is SSA... needless to say they are now aware of the trouble that comes from poor breeding practices. And to think the guy is offering them yet another one of his puppies to "make up" for Major. :screama:

Reactions: MeadowCat

·
Riley's Mom
527 Posts
Okay, this is new...

...first, I want to say that Riley has been doing really well with his leash training outside, and he seems a lot calmer in general, we've both been happy, he ignores a lot of things that used to bother him, and he's enjoying exploring...

...but this is the new problem - he's starting to get defiant when he doesn't want to do one of two things, things he never used to be defiant about before. One, when he's outside and does not want to come in, specifically because it's time for me to go to work, he'll run away from me and do the whole bark and growl, play bow, nip at me and run away again, thing... which I thought he was over with since he hadn't done it since he was little. I started leashing him prior to letting him outside if I knew I was going to be leaving soon, so that helped... but I still wonder why he started doing it again now? He used to run to his kennel on his own happily without any problem. Maybe just a phase or being testy?

The second, and more frightening problem, is when it's time for his treadmill walk. At first he was doing that same play bow, bark and growl, run away thing... so I started to leash him to be able to lead him down to the exercise room, and at first that was working fine, but today he sat down in the middle of the floor and refused to come with me. I tugged on the leash a little and he started to growl and chew on his leash. If I tried to tug any more he started to growl worse, more aggressively, and try to nip my hand. It got pretty bad, and I was shocked at how angry he sounded. This is another one of those things that he hasn't done since he was very little... I am so confused? He's 13 months old now and it's not cute this time around.

The thing is, he never had a problem with going on the treadmill before. Again, he used to run down there and hop on just by me asking him to, happily. Why this sudden change in mood about it? Is it because he realizes that outside is so much better? Is he in a testy teenager phase?

My solution was to bring him to his kennel for a few minutes, then try again, and after that he seemed fine. We did some back and forth exorcizes, I treated him for going on the treadmill, and had him go off and on of his free will. He doesn't seem afraid of the thing. But before, he wouldn't even take a treat when I was trying to lure him there.

Any ideas? I'm hoping it really is just "oh, they do that sometimes as they age" and not a sign of a big issue.

·
Riley's Mom
527 Posts
Oh yeah, and these problems just started last week, which is the same time I started to work with his leash training in a new area. Could it be stress I am not seeing?

·
Super Moderator
21,117 Posts
Okay, this is new...

...first, I want to say that Riley has been doing really well with his leash training outside, and he seems a lot calmer in general, we've both been happy, he ignores a lot of things that used to bother him, and he's enjoying exploring...

...but this is the new problem - he's starting to get defiant when he doesn't want to do one of two things, things he never used to be defiant about before. One, when he's outside and does not want to come in, specifically because it's time for me to go to work, he'll run away from me and do the whole bark and growl, play bow, nip at me and run away again, thing... which I thought he was over with since he hadn't done it since he was little. I started leashing him prior to letting him outside if I knew I was going to be leaving soon, so that helped... but I still wonder why he started doing it again now? He used to run to his kennel on his own happily without any problem. Maybe just a phase or being testy?

The second, and more frightening problem, is when it's time for his treadmill walk. At first he was doing that same play bow, bark and growl, run away thing... so I started to leash him to be able to lead him down to the exercise room, and at first that was working fine, but today he sat down in the middle of the floor and refused to come with me. I tugged on the leash a little and he started to growl and chew on his leash. If I tried to tug any more he started to growl worse, more aggressively, and try to nip my hand. It got pretty bad, and I was shocked at how angry he sounded. This is another one of those things that he hasn't done since he was very little... I am so confused? He's 13 months old now and it's not cute this time around.

The thing is, he never had a problem with going on the treadmill before. Again, he used to run down there and hop on just by me asking him to, happily. Why this sudden change in mood about it? Is it because he realizes that outside is so much better? Is he in a testy teenager phase?

My solution was to bring him to his kennel for a few minutes, then try again, and after that he seemed fine. We did some back and forth exorcizes, I treated him for going on the treadmill, and had him go off and on of his free will. He doesn't seem afraid of the thing. But before, he wouldn't even take a treat when I was trying to lure him there.

Any ideas? I'm hoping it really is just "oh, they do that sometimes as they age" and not a sign of a big issue.
I hate to sound like a broken record, but I highly recommend you make a trip to a veterinary behaviorist. Many reactive dogs get worse as they hit adulthood. I just really feel like you need a professional.

·
Riley's Mom
527 Posts
I hate to sound like a broken record, but I highly recommend you make a trip to a veterinary behaviorist. Many reactive dogs get worse as they hit adulthood. I just really feel like you need a professional.
We have contacted two, and we've pretty much been doing everything they told us, most of it was stuff I already had been doing all along, and he has gotten really better in most ways. Even my relatives see improvements in him. Medication wasn't recommended as of yet, they seem to think it's just a training/bad early socialization issue.

These "games" he seemed to be playing (minus the incident today) really seem just like he's being a brat and trying to extend play time, and I've dealt with it before when he was younger, and it stopped, so I'm just doing what I did back then with that - my only concern was how he acted today on the leash while I tried to bring him downstairs, as I never saw that before. I often see people post on here that dogs will test their owners as they age which is why I asked if this was that kind of test or not. I know he doesn't love the treadmill, but he kind of "put up with it" and still went on it by me asking before. Again, he was fine after the short time-out, so it seemed possible that could have been the case. Just wanted to know if anyone else had gone through something like that (with anything).

·
Super Moderator
21,117 Posts
We have contacted two, and we've pretty much been doing everything they told us, most of it was stuff I already had been doing all along, and he has gotten really better in most ways. Even my relatives see improvements in him. Medication wasn't recommended as of yet, they seem to think it's just a training/bad early socialization issue.

These "games" he seemed to be playing (minus the incident today) really seem just like he's being a brat and trying to extend play time, and I've dealt with it before when he was younger, and it stopped, so I'm just doing what I did back then with that - my only concern was how he acted today on the leash while I tried to bring him downstairs, as I never saw that before. I often see people post on here that dogs will test their owners as they age which is why I asked if this was that kind of test or not. I know he doesn't love the treadmill, but he kind of "put up with it" and still went on it by me asking before. Again, he was fine after the short time-out, so it seemed possible that could have been the case. Just wanted to know if anyone else had gone through something like that (with anything).
My first call, then, would be to whichever veterinary behaviorist is your primary doc. If ANYTHING changes with Shanoa, I am either emailing or calling Dr. Duxbury.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Awesome thread!
Sookie is 2 yrs old, we didn't get her until 4-5mths old (she was hanging around with other dogs but not with her Mum). Sookie is reactive when she is on lead and sees another dog on lead. Reactive = barking, jumping, spinning. Sookie is fine if she is on lead and the other dog is off lead; or when all dogs are off lead e.g. at the dog beach; and is also OK on lead at dog training with all other dogs on lead (including our new "walk and talk class) - I presume this is a situation where she feels safe/familiar with the situation. The worst bouts of reactivity are when we are walking around the streets near home and we come across a dog on lead. Trainers at the school we attend have told me to distract her with food... this does not work! If I do manage to give food to her it makes her mouth go all frothy, which is a great look when she's barking, jumping, spinning... The vet has said she is open to talking to us about anti-anxiety drugs, but I think we'll give it a bit more time.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Awesome thread!
Sookie is 2 yrs old, we didn't get her until 4-5mths old (she was hanging around with other dogs but not with her Mum). Sookie is reactive when she is on lead and sees another dog on lead. Reactive = barking, jumping, spinning. Sookie is fine if she is on lead and the other dog is off lead; or when all dogs are off lead e.g. at the dog beach; and is also OK on lead at dog training with all other dogs on lead (including our new "walk and talk class) - I presume this is a situation where she feels safe/familiar with the situation. The worst bouts of reactivity are when we are walking around the streets near home and we come across a dog on lead. Trainers at the school we attend have told me to distract her with food... this does not work! If I do manage to give food to her it makes her mouth go all frothy, which is a great look when she's barking, jumping, spinning... The vet has said she is open to talking to us about anti-anxiety drugs, but I think we'll give it a bit more time.
Check out B.A.T training. It helps identify, work within, and build upon their threshold aka that point she goes from calm to crazy.

Mabel is leash reactive too, and the bat training has really lessened her threshold but we're still working on it.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Riley's Mom
527 Posts
We have another appointment for this weekend. It sounds like they are actually thinking of prescribing some medication this time. I'm pretty excited about that, because one thing that has been bothering me is that when he is fully exorcized (3 hours) and had his training for the day (1/2 to 1 hour), he still can't seem to settle down indoors (pacing around looking for things to growl at, whines if he can't get to a window to look for said things).

Yesterday he tried to climb the fence because a butterfly was on the other side, 30 feet away, and he wouldn't sniff cheese or anything. I don't understand how he can be this bad sometimes, yet other times he'll watch a plane or a person walk by and it's fine, like he was never reactive at all... however, that same person walks by tomorrow, and he's upset again.

So, hopefully the meds help, and we're doing more blood work. I almost wish something was "wrong" so that I'd know it wasn't just something I did wrong. Others have said that even unsocialized dogs don't act as on/off wanky as him over such random things.

Anyway, wish us luck I guess.

Reactions: MeadowCat

·
Super Moderator
21,117 Posts
We have another appointment for this weekend. It sounds like they are actually thinking of prescribing some medication this time. I'm pretty excited about that, because one thing that has been bothering me is that when he is fully exorcized (3 hours) and had his training for the day (1/2 to 1 hour), he still can't seem to settle down indoors (pacing around looking for things to growl at, whines if he can't get to a window to look for said things).

Yesterday he tried to climb the fence because a butterfly was on the other side, 30 feet away, and he wouldn't sniff cheese or anything. I don't understand how he can be this bad sometimes, yet other times he'll watch a plane or a person walk by and it's fine, like he was never reactive at all... however, that same person walks by tomorrow, and he's upset again.

So, hopefully the meds help, and we're doing more blood work. I almost wish something was "wrong" so that I'd know it wasn't just something I did wrong. Others have said that even unsocialized dogs don't act as on/off wanky as him over such random things.

Anyway, wish us luck I guess.
Wow...three hours of exercise plus training and he can't settle? That's not normal. I'm glad you have an appointment soon. I know exactly what you mean about wishing something was "wrong" so you could diagnose and treat it. That's part of why it's so frustrating to own a dog like this. He sounds similar to Shanoa in some ways... It's very hard to identify her triggers, and they aren't consistent. Her issues are a combination of very poor genetics and the early isolation, so I would bet that it's more than just the socialization stuff for your boy, too.

Best of luck to you...let us know how it goes at the appointment.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I tought our dachshund Gretchen would worry herself to death at times. She has been the joy of my life and has taught me many things. Zanax is a great help for her as she doesn't feel "stoned" when she was younger the vet gave her Valium and she stopped taking treats because she associated that feeling with treats and that sucked as she had the tightest jaw I have ever seen even my husband had a hard time getting a pill in her. We only give her the pills when severe weather is coming but she could probably use them more I just don't like using them.

She hates children and no amount of interaction has helped you can just see it on her face when she spots one it's the "oh crap where can I hide" look. We have had to stay in many hotels as the company moves us a lot the last time there was a little girl who just wouldn't leave her alone I had to get nasty with the mother it's like how many times do I have to tell you no! And why would a parent allow a kid to run up to someone's dog? Gretchen is smart though she just steps behind me and knows mom will handle it. She has never bitten just freaked herself out when she was younger now she steps behind me.

·
Riley's Mom
527 Posts
Waiting for blood tests results... but right now they want us to try the natural route with 3-6mg of Melatonin twice daily and see if it takes the edge off enough for us to make more progress with training. Anyone have experiences with this? I was expecting Prozac or a similar drug, so was kind of surprised when they basically said to try my dad's natural sleep aids.

Vet visit wasn't the best, but wasn't as bad as in my head either. I think having a muzzle on him helps the both of us, because I feel safer (for other people) and more confident in walking him around... and I am happy that my leash training seems to be working somewhat, because instead of trying to pull relentlessly towards a trigger, this time he was able to turn around and walk with me when he felt the pressure on his harness (front-clipping) and all I had to do was say say "Lets, go!" in a happy voice and he was willing to break focus off the trigger half of the time. I got him to sit a couple of times but they only lasted a second or two. Still, shows he's hearing me I guess.

Worst part was the ride TO the office. I haven't heard him whine so bad since he was little and stuck behind a baby gate. -_-'

Only other thing I got from this meeting was that they seem to think genetics have a lot to do with how he is, and I'm doing all the right things as far as trying to work him with BAT, but they don't know how much improvement there will be without meds, which is why they started us on the natural one, and they said his issues are severe.

It's kind of at the point where I am trying to figure out the future now.

I mean, I want to give this another go, with the meds, and depending on the blood work, take it from there, but the way my life is right now, and if he gets increasingly worse, I have to think about long-term, how long will I do this before deciding it has been enough and my family needs this stress gone? Or I need this stress gone? It's too soon to say what will happen, but it has been on my mind a lot... that if I am willing to make "the big decision" in a year or so, if things don't get better, or get worse... I hate thinking about it. It makes me feel like a failure. Like it was my fault somehow. Or that if I tried again with a new dog, they would turn out exactly the same.

Anyway, enough depressing thoughts... I'm staying positive to see how things go with the meds.

:)

Reactions: PrairieGirl
341 - 360 of 578 Posts