Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night when I was putting ointment on Raz's ears, I noticed that part of the stitching has come out. It is kind of strange because it is one continuous stitch, but it looks like it came loose in 2 separate spots. The first spot is right where the stitching starts at the base of the ear, then there are two loops still in tact, then another loop missing. I'm really surprised the whole thing didn't un-ravel.

The vet that did her ears is 6 hours away, so unfortunately it is not an option to take her back to the vet that did her crop. He did recommend a local vet to do the after care though. Unfortunately he is not in today, but will be in tomorrow, so we have an appt at 10:00am.

Questions:
1) Do you think it is okay to wait till tomorrow to get her into a vet that is experienced with ear crops or should I get her into our regular vet right away?

It doesn't look too bad where the stitching came loose, just a little more swollen and irritated than the rest of her ear.

2) Will this cause any major set backs with the healing process? Any permanent scarring?

We drove a long ways to have an experienced, reputable vet do the crop to ensure her ears would look good. I will be sick if this causes issues now :(

I have had socks on her back feet since we got home in hopes of avoiding something like this from happening. I hardly ever see her try to scratch at them, so not sure how this happened. I made her a sock bonnet today that she is wearing right now. I wish I had known to do that sooner. I am really surprised with all of the research that I did on ear cropping that I never came across info about using one. Last night when I did a search on stitches getting pulled out, I found a couple of threads that mentioned using them.

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
My boy pulled a stitch out near the base of his ear about 2 days after the crop. He loosened a few others as well. My vet wasn't concerned and it didn't cause any issue. No permanent scarring either.

What kind of ointment does your vet have you using? Mine gave something called Tri-Top that has a mild pain reliever in it and that seemed to help.

As long as it's not looking terrible, doesn't have a funny smell, and generally looks the same as the other healthy tissue around it--I think it would be ok to wait until tomorrow to have your vet look at it.

Reactions: jinglejang

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
I've had some that have lost a stitch (or 2) at the base with no issues...it just granulates in. Your little girl should be just fine! :)

Jan

Reactions: jinglejang

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My boy pulled a stitch out near the base of his ear about 2 days after the crop. He loosened a few others as well. My vet wasn't concerned and it didn't cause any issue. No permanent scarring either.

What kind of ointment does your vet have you using? Mine gave something called Tri-Top that has a mild pain reliever in it and that seemed to help.

As long as it's not looking terrible, doesn't have a funny smell, and generally looks the same as the other healthy tissue around it--I think it would be ok to wait until tomorrow to have your vet look at it.
Did you end up having it re-stitched?
The ointment I am using is called Animax. The vet gave it to me. It is antibiotic + anti-inflamitory.

I've had some that have lost a stitch (or 2) at the base with no issues...it just granulates in. Your little girl should be just fine! :)

Jan
What does "it just granulates in" mean? Sorry if that's a stupid question.

I will try to post a pic of her ear.

I am really concerned because the vet I have an appt with in the morning is the only one that is experienced with ear cropping who was open tomorrow (Saturday) and I have had 2 people today try to discourage me from going there because of poor reputation. *sigh*

I am just so worried about ruining an otherwise beautiful crop. It may just look bad to me because I am so inexperienced with what is okay and what needs attention.

I will go work on getting a pic right now. If you could please tell me what you think after seeing a pic, I would really appreciate it :)

·
Registered
939 Posts
My girl popped out a stitch on the first day we had her home.. she had a continuous 'line'? of stitch all the way around the base to the tip of her ear. The part where she broke the line was just about where the base at the bottom curves up towards the bell of the ear. Everything turned out okay! Her ears now (at 21 weeks) look fabulous. A pic would greatly help- we could tell you if it looks "normal" in relation to what we've experienced with our own dogs. We're by no means a substitute for veterinary opinion, but maybe we can help ease your stress if its not a big deal.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, I managed to get a couple pics of her ear. My husband is not home to assist me so I had to put her on my lap with a rawhide to chew on. lol

Bad ear:

Two areas I'm worried about. The space in between these 2 areas still has stitches intact:

Good ear for reference, the base is nice and clean:

What do you all think?? Do the stitches need to be replaced or do you think it will heal fine without new stitches?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I wonder why he/she doesn't wear collar/cone - mine had one. I can't imagine being without it. He tried to scratch his head a few times during the day pretty much every day since the surgery. Anyway, one of the stitches on his left ear became loose after a few days and it sort of looked like what you have in your picture in the circle on the right. Stitch has NOT been replaced. Yes we got it inspected by surgeon as we live only about half an hour drive away. It just took a few days longer to heal properly. Both ears look same.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My girl popped out a stitch on the first day we had her home.. she had a continuous 'line'? of stitch all the way around the base to the tip of her ear. The part where she broke the line was just about where the base at the bottom curves up towards the bell of the ear. Everything turned out okay! Her ears now (at 21 weeks) look fabulous.
Thanks! This eases my mind some :) Raz also has a continuous line. It is actually pretty sparse, as far as how many 'loops' there are. They are spaced really far apart. By looking at the pics, you would think a couple stitches are missing from each spot that concern me, but there is actually only one stitch missing from each spot.

The area at the very beginning of the stitches is what concerns me the most. It looks like the skin is pulled away from the cartilage and that it may not heal/bond together. But maybe I am wrong if this is what others' pups looked like after popping a stitch...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I was going to wait till Monday to take her into a vet that I know I trust, but when I looked at it this morning, it looked worse. The spot at the very base of her ear was splaying open with the skin seperating from the cartilage a little. (that sounds way worse than it actually looked) I was just so worried about it starting to heal that way.

So we went to the vet that I heard some not so great things about, but I actually ended up really liking him. He gave her a mild sedative (dexdomitor). Gave her 2 stitches at the base of one ear and 1 stitch at the base of the other ear. Had me come back to see what he had done, then let me stay back there while he "dressed" the area up. Gave her a shot of Antisedan to wake her up. We were there a total of 30 minutes!

I'm so glad I went in. I would have worried about it all weekend if I hadn't.

Here she is with a sock bonnet made out of one of hubby's dress socks. lol. :)

·
Registered
939 Posts
Glad to hear everything is well and good with your baby! She's doll :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts