I rarely give any kind of rawhide product to my dogs. It's too easy for them to soften it up, swallow it and start choking on it. Once you've had to stick your hand down a panicked dog's throat to do an "emergency rawhide rescue", you're just not really too willing to take that chance again.
On the rare occasions when I *do* give my dogs anything like it, it's one of those pressed rawhide bones, rather than the rolled stuff or the strips. But they don't get stuff like that very often at all, and NEVER unless I'm right there the whole time.
I think there's also concerns about some rawhide products sometimes being cured with formaldehyde or something.
Kongs, nylabones, raw knuckle bones..these are all MUCH better things to give dogs to chew.