Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to get everyone's opinion on rawhides. I've never been a fan of them cause I heard they were bad for dogs and also can be a choking hazard but Diesel LOVES them and I think it would help with his crate training if he had something to keep him busy but only when I'm there. The thing is he's only 10 weeks. Like I said I've never been a fan cause of everything I've heard and read so I wanted to get people's opinions. Also what about when he's older are they better for them then or no?

·
Registered
188 Posts
I will not feed my dogs rawhides ever, as a pup or an adult. It is a choking hazard and it is just not worth it even if you are there. Relying on watching and being able to get the piece out is risky, sometimes you can it lodge it further down their throat.
Have you considered giving your a nice raw marrow bone instead?

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will not feed my dogs rawhides ever. It is a choking hazard and it is just not worth it, especially unsupervised.
Have you considered giving your a nice raw marrow bone instead?
That's how I feel. This may sound dumb but what are the raw marrow bones? Are they safer and where do you get them?

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Axel's mom- I just saw the link you posted! Those look awesome! Are they soft or hard? I just don't want him to choke on them if I'm not with him if he's in his crate.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so many better alternatives...I would pass in favor of kongs and other safe chew toys. Rawhides give the gas around here....
He has a kong but really isn't a fan. Maybe cause I haven't put anything super fun in there. Any suggestions for that?

·
Vicious Bitch.
3,079 Posts
Okay, I give Juno huge rawhides. She can't have them once they've "shrunk" to swallowing point. She has seriously gotten 3 stuck in her throat. I've puled them out. It's scary.

Try getting a kong, stuffing it with Tostito's salsa con queso,, freeze for 3 hours.. he'll love it. Juno does. I'm not a fan of peanut butter stuffings, but get the puppy or liver flavored cans and freeze. or cheese whiz.

Those sticks i gave you should be okay (i forgot what they're called) - because the dissolve so easily.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay, I give Juno huge rawhides. She can't have them once they've "shrunk" to swallowing point. She has seriously gotten 3 stuck in her throat. I've puled them out. It's scary.

Try getting a kong, stuffing it with Tostito's salsa con queso,, freeze for 3 hours.. he'll love it. Juno does. I'm not a fan of peanut butter stuffings, but get the puppy or liver flavored cans and freeze. or cheese whiz.

Those sticks i gave you should be okay (i forgot what they're called) - because the dissolve so easily.
He loved those! I'm going to find them and pick some up!

Is all that food ok for them? Especially him being a puppy? Is the stuffing stuff someone you can buy at a pet store?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Sorry to latch onto your thread
I was wondering about raw marrow bones... I believe I saw these at my grocery store but what do you do with them? Just take out of package and give to your dog? And when does it need to be taken away/ what should I look out for?

I do give Phoenix rawhides sometime but only web I am home and only hen bone is big. Then gets thrown away.
Phoenix likes kongs with little food yogurt and water :)

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry to latch onto your thread
I was wondering about raw marrow bones... I believe I saw these at my grocery store but what do you do with them? Just take out of package and give to your dog? And when does it need to be taken away/ what should I look out for?

I do give Phoenix rawhides sometime but only web I am home and only hen bone is big. Then gets thrown away.
Phoenix likes kongs with little food yogurt and water :)
I have the same questions so it's perfect.

Is little food yogurt the brand? Do you freeze it?

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
No rawhides for Dreizehn.

He does get marrow bones. It's femur bones, I think, cut in half so the marrow is readily accessible. He LOVES them but I hear that marrow can be too much for some dogs.

I love bully sticks and Himalayan bars for Dreizehn as an alternative to rawhides.

·
Vicious Bitch.
3,079 Posts
He loved those! I'm going to find them and pick some up!

Is all that food ok for them? Especially him being a puppy? Is the stuffing stuff someone you can buy at a pet store?
cheese whiz should be okay. kong stuffing can be bought at petsmart. Not sure about queso, but I like it so I get it for the both of us. :)

how's training?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts