Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, a few questions... I just re-read the RAW feeding FAQ, but I still have a few questions. Hopefully someone will know :D

Rommel has been working pretty hard so I decided I would try to supplement his Kibble with RAW foods. Maybe every other day or so, dependant upon our activity's.

I just wanted to make sure that all of the stuff I got is safe to give him, before I give it to him...I am not much of a meat eater, so this subject is a little foreign to me.

This is what I got:
Thin Top Round Steak
Ground Ribeye
Beef Cubed Steak
Ground Beef
Spare Rib Tips
Chicken Drumsticks
Chicken Breast
Plain Yogurt
Eggs
Cheese
also...what about Bacon and Beef Hotdogs? Obviously not as good as some of the others...but just kind of an extra?

·
Registered
694 Posts
I give Sabot 3 raw feedings a week....I alternate it between raw chicken with the bone or eggs and ground beef and it has helped SOOO Much with his coat and he LOVES it....I have given raw feedings to my GSD Nina though and she throws it up...I think it is because she is older (almost 8) and maybe her stomache just isn't used to it.....not sure.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
I always supplement with plain organic yogurt. They love it and the good bacteria is great for digestion. You can also get acidophilus pills in the freezer section of the health food store that really aid in digestion since they are full of the good bacteria.
I use Turkey hot dogs for training, just pop them in the microwave and they are good to go...lots of people use beef though. Same with bacon, I go for the turkey kind since it is healthier for them. And use all types of cheeses and eggs a couple times per week (cooked).

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
BackInBlack said:
Okay, a few questions... I just re-read the RAW feeding FAQ, but I still have a few questions. Hopefully someone will know :D

Rommel has been working pretty hard so I decided I would try to supplement his Kibble with RAW foods. Maybe every other day or so, dependant upon our activity's.

I just wanted to make sure that all of the stuff I got is safe to give him, before I give it to him...I am not much of a meat eater, so this subject is a little foreign to me.

This is what I got:
Thin Top Round Steak
Ground Ribeye
Beef Cubed Steak
Ground Beef
Spare Rib Tips
Chicken Drumsticks
Chicken Breast
Plain Yogurt
Eggs
Cheese
also...what about Bacon and Beef Hotdogs? Obviously not as good as some of the others...but just kind of an extra?
hotdogs are not part of a raw diet. you can use them for training treats, but dont think of giving things that are just human food as a raw diet.

personally most of the things you wrote down there aren't really suitable for a large dog to be eating as a raw diet - drumsticks are too small, chicken breast may be ok if they have bone in. ground beef, ribeye, and cubed steak have no bone in them, purely meat.

personally if i were to supplement only, it would be something that gives the actual benefit of the raw diet - a raw meaty bone.

Reactions: PeeWeesMama

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
BIB, I occasionally supplement with raw chicken backs, they are cheap and have meat and bones in one. I also buy the discounted burger meat, it's cheaper, and fine by the dogs. In addition to eggs and chicken hearts, and gizzards. I also buy a calves liver now and then and chop it up and freeze most of it, so I just pull out the frozen cubes and throw them in periodically.

I was never really into the steaks and such, I don't like the idea of the cut sharp bones in them, or the small round bones in the ribeyes. I do offer the big soup bones (RMB) at least 2-3 times a week, always. Keeps their teeth clean and supplements them.
Not to mention it's their favorite! (Sorry to hijack your thread, I just recently took this pic of everyone contentedly knawing on their bones and must share)

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
i have tons of raw feeding pics for anyone that wants to see them :) not all are "pretty" though :)

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sure post em! So are you saying I cant feed drumsticks because they are to small for a meal, or to small to be eating?

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
doberkim said:
i have tons of raw feeding pics for anyone that wants to see them :) not all are "pretty" though :)
LOL are you kidding? Have you ever known any of us to not want pics of any/everything???
I'm so glad to know that I'm not the only one who takes pics of her dogs eating LOL.
Some day I'll have to get a video of Chihiro killing the evil turkey wings/necks/legs! She is VERY animated about the whole thing :)

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
BackInBlack said:
So are you saying I cant feed drumsticks because they are to small for a meal, or to small to be eating?
BiB, I'm certainly no expert when it comes to feeding RAW but I don't give Chi chicken legs or wings because they are so small and I worry about her choking... They're perfect for Petri though...
With Chi, and when I feed RAW, I go by the bigger, the better theory - I don't want to give her anything that she can inhale, it has to be big enough for her to have to chew, knaw, rip, tear and really work at before she can swallow.
Maybe if you had leg quarters, where the leg and thigh were still attached, but then I'd still watch him pretty closely...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts