Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
14,062 Posts
Interesting.

I frequently feed raw and kibble mixed and neither of my girls has ever had a problem with it. In fact, a lot of older dog care books recommend feeding a mix of meat and "meal or biscuit", as well as milk and eggs.

Reactions: plearbear

·
denormalized
5,824 Posts
I don't think I ever said that raw digested faster - I have always been of the opinion that it digested slower, esp because of the bone content in the food I feed. I hadn't heard either that people claim the opposite - guess I stay away from those sites.

Good study - do you think there is any difference between different breeds? Is a sample set of 1 viable to draw conclusions from (not that I distrust what was shown as being extensible to our dogs)? I assume that if you fed some of the larger RMB meals, it would be even longer for the bones to clear out of the stomach - sometimes my young bitch acts like an owl and spits up pieces of bones many hours after the meal - anything up to 12 hrs later. when she does that I have given her enzymes and probiotics during the next set of meals. It is just her, none of my other dogs have had this.

Thanks for sharing.

·
Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
14,062 Posts
Most of the people on the raw feeding sites/groups say that raw digests faster. Some of them seem to base that on the fact that "a dog they know of" threw up two hours after a meal, and they could still see intact, wet kibble, but their raw fed dog, who also threw up two hours after eating, threw up a soupy goo. Others were just "told" that by "so-and-so", so it must be true.

Ilka's been known to give back the odd bone here and there, usually in the morning before breakfast, so I know it's from the night before.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I, too, had always heard raw digested faster. I did find one study that reviewed the research often cited regarding digestion rates and in those studies the dogs fed kibble were not provided access to water. Had the dogs been provided water then the digestion rates would have been similar.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Before publishing this, we asked my raw group how long they have heard it takes kibble to digest. Some people answered 16-18 hours. O______O

1 - 8 of 8 Posts