Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard that cats can go raw too, and assume of course that's better for them. But, I offered raw to my kitties and they turned up their snobby little noses at me!! Yeah, I know keep the food up long enough and they'll eat. I just expected that here is this fabulous Mom that obviously loves her kitties enough to have an outpouring of generousity for them and their health, and expects they will rush the gold rimmed plates (NOT!!) that their delactible meal s being served on, and I get "P-U Mom what in the Heck is this crap. We might as well be snacking in our litter box. We'll be downstairs awaiting our "kibley cat" whenever you get a chance to feed us." ALL 3 OF THEM!!! :mad:

Anybody feed their cats raw too? If so, did they take to it quickley?

·
Registered
421 Posts
I'd think mine would love it but I'd be afraid of what I would have to clean out of the litterbox! My girl just got fixed nad she is turning into such a cow. I've seriouesly halfed her food and she is still getting huge. I've had problems with fat cats having urinary and diabetes problems so I'm kinda worried. If you find something that works I might be interested but I've gotta see if just cutting her food will help.

She comes and meows at me like she is saying"all I have left to live for is food!" and then she pounces on my stomach,gets the dogs all irritated on the bed and then runs to her bowl and meows.

I'm sure they would eat it if you put dried salmon in it for a few days. the smell drives my cats nutts. Don't know if its good for them but if it helps :haha:

·
Registered
460 Posts
I tried to get my cats to eat raw for a little while but they all decided it would be fun to put up their own little fuss. Sampson would not eat anything other than quail. No bones, no organ meat, just quail. Fallon ate raw happily as long as it was mixed with canned food but after a couple weeks, she caught on and refused her meals. She's gone on hunger strikes before so I know how long she can hold out for! Mitzi liked it but would turn her nose up at organ meat. The only one who was taking to it was Xavier, who LOVED chicken necks.

Meal time became such a battle with them all, that for the time being I called off the raw switch. I still do offer them the things they love about raw but til I can make a little more time to cater to their meals, kibble will have to do.

If you're interested, what worked with Xavier is to mix tiny amounts in with canned food. I would gradually increase the amount slowly til he was eating mostly real food. Of course every cat is different(and more or less picky!) so you'll have to experiment with ways to intice your cats into making the switch.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are all brats!!! I have read that they need more protien intake than dogs, and they say with dogs that the tartar and bad breath go way down hill with raw, as a result of better nutrition and stools get smaller because they are using more of what goes in......

I just spent 200 on Bandit for a dental about three months ago, she had 5 teeth removed (including both top and bottom fangs on the left hand side! It's fuuny to see her meow now!) and the rest cleaned, she had some serious yuk mouth going on. I feel really negligent as a mom for not noticing sooner, but honestly, you don't really think of a cat's mouth, I mean a dogs mouth is like right in your face..... And Keli is constantly puking everycoupla days. Not hair balls just pukes her food up as soon as she eats it. She's been like this for about two years.

I'm gonna research it somemore, and experiment with it, I'll let you gus know how it goes.....

·
Registered
266 Posts
actually, if you're used to cleaning litterboxes from kibble and canned fed cats, you're going to be REALLY surprised what a raw cat's litterbox looks like...

it's the same as dogs... stools get smaller, harder, and less smelly... it truly is amazing!

speaking of poop, i don't know how people stand dealing with kibble and canned fed dog poop! That stuff is gross! It stinks, it sticks around in the yard forever... With raw dogs, their poop has a bit of smell, but it fades quickly, the poops are nice and hard and little, and the absolute best part -- they DISINTEGRATE!

As for switching picky cats over to raw, I'd start slowly... You can get some great ground mixes and start by just putting a spoonful mixed into their usual canned food. Eventually add less and less canned... The other things the cats seem to love are chicken hearts. No idea why, but they're always a huge hit! And if you go completely raw, remember that cats do have different nutritional requirements than dogs - they cannot synthesize taurine so you need to make sure they get enough in their food.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
That does it... Gonna sit Mark down tonight and tell him that he will have to put in for early retirement. We have to come back to The States ASAP so I can live near a butcher I can understand and raw food suppliers for the critters and so we can have our huge girly/doggy slumber party. Sure we'll loose all of our retirement benefits and sure people we'll think we're nuts for sacrificing those benefits with really only 2 years left before full benefits kick in but I have my priorities straight, food for the critters and fun with dobie buddies... So what if we have to use Jordan's college money that we've been saving since before she was ever concieved, she's a smart kid, I'm sure she can win some scholarships... Yup, my mind is made up... Jess, GM, make up your spare rooms for me and mine, we'll be broke but we're on our way LOL :)

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GLad you finally got your priorities straight Tracy! About time!!! The spare room is ready, you can take turns staying with me and GM!! Chi can of course stay here all the time! Didn't GM tell you? Gracie is coming to live with me too!! We fight over her everyday!!! hehehheh!!

THank for the advice Elle. Do you have cats too? If so what is your basic diet you do for them? I haven't yet looked into too much on raw for cats, so bear with me! What is taurine? I did read that compared to a dog's needs, cats need less organ meat (UTI dangers) and more protien than a dog's diet. I feed only hard food to my cats. But I will start mixing in a little canned so when I'm fully informed and ready to make the change I can mix it in with the canned to get them to start eating it.

BTW- that was funny about kibble poop!! It's PRESERVED just like the kibble!! And even colored sometimes like it!!

Okay, thanks all!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Lexus, just going through the same process with my two cats. Have a youngster and an oldie. It's the old girl that I've been concerned about, has been vomitting her food on and off for a little while, wasn't enough for me to get too concerned. She is also on arthritis meds, which I was advised would give her an upset stomach. Around two to three weeks ago, she was constantly sick.

I have cut out all canned food, and slowly started introducing raw. I buy a combination of (please don't scream).....kangaroo and beef mince. Kangaroo is from what I understand, reasonably high in protein and low in fat. Both of mine just love it. I have not had one incident of vomitting since. Not too sure if this relates to stopping the canned food or going on to the raw! I've just tried this as an experiment, so will now do some further research for a "real" diet, so that I have all my bases covered for nutrition. Still feeding dry food in the morning, with the raw at night.

My husband has just made a comment in the background, as I was telling him about this thread, "feeding our National Emblem to our cat". He is so subtle.....not. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
That does it... Gonna sit Mark down tonight and tell him that he will have to put in for early retirement. We have to come back to The States ASAP so I can live near a butcher I can understand and raw food suppliers for the critters and so we can have our huge girly/doggy slumber party. Sure we'll loose all of our retirement benefits and sure people we'll think we're nuts for sacrificing those benefits with really only 2 years left before full benefits kick in but I have my priorities straight, food for the critters and fun with dobie buddies... So what if we have to use Jordan's college money that we've been saving since before she was ever concieved, she's a smart kid, I'm sure she can win some scholarships... Yup, my mind is made up... Jess, GM, make up your spare rooms for me and mine, we'll be broke but we're on our way LOL :)
It's about time that you are coming out here! We have BIG plans remember. We are going to go to Ohio, and steal Lexus! You and the family are more than welcome here. Just give us a week or two to finsih the guest room!

GLad you finally got your priorities straight Tracy! About time!!! The spare room is ready, you can take turns staying with me and GM!! Chi can of course stay here all the time! Didn't GM tell you? Gracie is coming to live with me too!! We fight over her everyday!!! hehehheh!!
No Chi is going to come over here and play with Gracie. Remember Gracie is older, and can give younger puppies advice. :) Oh and Gracie will be staying right here! She wont be leaving her momma for to long.

Okay not to get off topic though. I don't really think Rachel (my female cat) will go to raw. I just got her in January and she is 6 years old. The only meat she will eat is bacon and that is it. She wont even look at fish. Cubby (my male) will eat anything. Only problem is if it's people food (anything that doesn't come in a cat food bag pretty much) he has to see me eat it before he will even touch it. I don't really feel like eating raw meat myself, so he can't do that until I find a look alike to do it for me. :D

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Gracie's_Mom said:

Okay not to get off topic though. I don't really think Rachel (my female cat) will go to raw. I just got her in January and she is 6 years old. The only meat she will eat is bacon and that is it. She wont even look at fish. Cubby (my male) will eat anything. Only problem is if it's people food (anything that doesn't come in a cat food bag pretty much) he has to see me eat it before he will even touch it. I don't really feel like eating raw meat myself, so he can't do that until I find a look alike to do it for me. :D

(shaking my head in utter dissapointment) And all this time I thought you were a good momma... You won't even try a raw turkey neck for the sake of your cat... Shame on you LOL..

You might want to make a guest wing for Chi... After seeing pics of her great grandpa's her head has gotten quite a bit bigger... There'll be no living with her now, she officially knows that she's better than us... Such a snob....

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A cat that won't eat fish??? What are you teaching your animals!!!!

I haven't switch the cats over yet, But I have been introducing canned into their diet so that when I am ready to make the switch, it will go smoother. As they turn their snobby noses up at it now.

Glad to hear a success story with raw feeding to cats Jedski! OH Kangaroos (national emblems)!!! That was too funny, maybe I should feed mine a bald eagle!!! No, I'm just pulling your leg!! Yeah Keli and bandit are getting old, and I just want to do right by all them, and have them be as healthy as possible....

BTW, Kangaroo must be really expensive?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Hi Lexus

Sadly kangaroos are considered in some areas to be a pest. They are a rather interesting animal, and don't breed during drought. I love them, but I do understand the problems that farmers can have when they're over-run by them in large numbers.

I buy the kangaroo/beef mince from my butcher, $3.00 for 1kg. It's seems to a very little fat content. I thought I would mix up the meals with chicken mince. Have tried the girls on chicken wings, gave a bit of a sniff and strolled away with a tail flick!

Bald eagle...........bwaaaaahhhhhh....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts