Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Moose has done it again. ABout a month ago his right rear foot pad (the bigger of the 3) looked like it was torn somehow from outside (possibly from icy snow/over salted sidewalks on public areas) and then was raw. We took him to the vet because I didn't want it to get infected and he was licking a lot and didn't know if that would make it worse. THe vet said that it will run its course and he will lick it to clean and it will heal up. And it did.

So he started limping again and he has another cut/raw sore on the same pad. And then I noticed he has a smaller one on the other rear leg. He is licking them occasionally and sometimes worse than others. The outside edges of the sore look rough and dry. I am planning on calling the vet again but didn't know if anyone had ideas/ things that we could put on it to decrease the sensitivity or help push the healing process??

We are in the market of getting him booties for outside.. to prevent future reoccurrence.

Thanks!

·
Eat Poo and Die
2,193 Posts
We wanted to buy Niz some ruffwear booties, but his dewclaws were right where the booties close, so it caused him a lot of discomfort, so the salt in Tahoe ended up blistering Niz's paw pads. We took him to the vet, and the vet clipped off the flappy bits and told us to just let it heal on it's own, but to limit his exercise--no walks until everything heals back up. I carried him up and down stairs for the first few days, and after a few days we did all his training in grass/soft dirt in the backyard for a week or two. As long as Moose doesn't lick them, they should heal on their own. I asked our vet if we should neosporin it, ect., and he said that it wouldn't be necessary for Niz.

I hope Moose feels better soon!

·
APS SGT
1,427 Posts
You can look into buying some Musher's Secret. I bought an enormous can of it for my dogs. I live in the desert and the dry climate and abrasive ground causes my dog's paws to crack if I'm not vigilant. The Mushers Secret moisturizes their pads and prevents the cracks from forming. This product is primarily marketed for use in snow and ice. It prevents snowballs from forming between toes and creates a barrier to keep salt and other snow melting chemicals from burning their feet...

http://musherssecret.net/

·
Super Moderator
22,000 Posts
Shanoa had very sensitive/delicate pads as a puppy. We used a combination of Tuf Foot and Musher's Secret to treat her pads, and it seemed to help a lot.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a ton guys. I will look into those two products. He is definitely licking them.. although we are correcting him everytime. Right now I have some old christmas socks on his feet to stop the licking.. so far working lol. Looks a little like "kitten mittens" when walking..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47D9-U8hn5I

Vet said pretty much the same thing Mangujowa but said the licking wont bother it more.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ughhh. HE is just whining because his paws are probably painful. I will call vet again in the morning but I just can't watch him be so sad and uncomfortable. One of his paws is really raw/red... looks worse than the last time this happened.

·
Eat Poo and Die
2,193 Posts
Thanks a ton guys. I will look into those two products. He is definitely licking them.. although we are correcting him everytime. Right now I have some old christmas socks on his feet to stop the licking.. so far working lol. Looks a little like "kitten mittens" when walking..

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - Kitten Mittens - YouTube

Vet said pretty much the same thing Mangujowa but said the licking wont bother it more.
I just keep Niz from licking because any time Niz licks a wound, we end up at the vet with a lick granuloma for antibiotics :roflmao: Princess, the excavator of wounds.

Niz's were really red (I thought they were bleeding, they were so red). How much does Moose walk around every day? Niz kept his activity level down when he was in pain, so I just let him rest for a week or so and carried him everywhere.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We have kept his walking just for potty breaks the last couple of days. Its just frustrating because Im not sure how it gets this bad. Being winter here in New England our walks are slim.. I think its the chemicals from the salt (stupid neighbors) on the ground that kind of tore up his pad :( I just feel so bad because my poor buddy is hurting and I got close to his foot to look at it and he was pulling it away and then hobbling away from me

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
I bought some paw balm at PetSmart called 'espree'. After one use, it really made Indy's pads really soft. It's supposed to condition, restore moisture and protect. Not sure if something like that would help or not. Poor Moose, hope he heals up quickly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts