Banned
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
•What raw food company do you feed your dogs? 🌱🥩🦴✨
-Why did you choose them?​
-How long has your dog been on the raw diet?​
-How much do you buy a month?​
-How much does it cost you a month?​
-What beneficial changes have you notice within your dog while being on this diet in comparison to kibble?​
-Any issues with switching to raw; i.e diarrhea/constipation/vomiting?​
-Do you use supplements in conjunction with the raw diet?​
-Do you like to mix raw + dry kibble?​
-Did you feed your puppies on a raw diet?​
-Any raw food company you advise to stay away from?​

Sound off below 📣💬👇 I would like to know what people do in their household when it comes to this method of feeding.

Super excited that we will be getting a male doberman in a couple of months. Our future puppy’s parents:

·
Registered
685 Posts
I either make the food myself or I go through a local co-op or I use Steve’s Real Food (their prey model blend), it just depends on if I have the time to make it. Since I am in the middle of moving, I've been getting Steve's Real Food since its available at a local pet store near my house. Both my dogs have been raw fed for going on five years. It varies on how much I spend that and I have friends who are hunters and butchers who help out and give me stuff in return for baby sitting their dogs. Benefits of raw for my dogs: weight loss, smaller poops, shiny coats, no dental issues. I didn't have any issues switching to raw. I've never had a puppy (I got one of my dogs at 10 months and the other at 13 months) but I will be getting a puppy this year but I plan on keeping her on the food her breeder has given her for a bit. I personally stay away from fresh pet. I don't feel like its balanced and one of my dogs had vomited constantly on it. I hope that answers your questions.

Reactions: rui

·
Banned
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Steve's Real Food
Oh wow, thank you so much for the suggestion of Steve’s Real Food! I looked into it, and the only retailer that carries it is 40+ miles away from me, but they do provide shipping for their storefront.
Yeah, I’ve heard of FreshPet having mold in their food. I cited the link below if you want to check it out.
That’s awesome that we’ll both be getting a puppy this year! The female is going to give birth to 10 puppies by the end of this week, so I should be bringing him home by the end of July. When are you expecting yours?
Mold in FreshPet

·
Banned
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've fed raw for periods and I just made my own raw food and mixed it. Congrats on getting a dobe once u go dobe u never go back.
Welcome to the house of fun
That’s awesome that you’re doing a DIY raw food. What is your go-to recipe if you don’t mind me asking? 😁

·
Registered
685 Posts
Oh wow, thank you so much for the suggestion of Steve’s Real Food! I looked into it, and the only retailer that carries it is 40+ miles away from me, but they do provide shipping for their storefront.
Yeah, I’ve heard of FreshPet having mold in their food. I cited the link below if you want to check it out.
That’s awesome that we’ll both be getting a puppy this year! The female is going to give birth to 10 puppies by the end of this week, so I should be bringing him home by the end of July. When are you expecting yours?
Mold in FreshPet
I like Steve's Real Food and my two have done very well on it. Before I used Primal which I had no issues with but I prefer the prey model diet. I believe Titan and Answers are also recommended but they were not available in my area. Texas Tripe is also good and they have several distributors across the country. If you are going to make your own food, check out the site Perfectly Rawsome. They have some good recipes and guidelines and I believe they have a listing of shops that get raw food but I can't recall. Also, I go to various Asian markets for the fun stuff for my pups (duck heads, bull intestine, etc). But yeah, Fresh Pet was an immediate no for me. Too many bad things with them.

My breeder said she will be breeding her girl next month so hopefully around Fall time!

Reactions: melbrod and rui

·
Banned
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like Steve's Real Food and my two have done very well on it. Before I used Primal which I had no issues with but I prefer the prey model diet. I believe Titan and Answers are also recommended but they were not available in my area. Texas Tripe is also good and they have several distributors across the country. If you are going to make your own food, check out the site Perfectly Rawsome. They have some good recipes and guidelines and I believe they have a listing of shops that get raw food but I can't recall. Also, I go to various Asian markets for the fun stuff for my pups (duck heads, bull intestine, etc). But yeah, Fresh Pet was an immediate no for me. Too many bad things with them.

My breeder said she will be breeding her girl next month so hopefully around Fall time!
Yuki_cos, you are amazing!! Thank you so much for the suggestions! I will definitely order from Texas Tripe because they have a 20lb case for a little over $50. My two cats alone need 20lbs a month, and I plan on switching them over to raw as well. So far, I have only found 1 local place that makes raw food, but they charge an arm and leg for their products. There is another place not too far away that I will get the bulk of my food from since their prices are reasonable. However some of their products do not include the organ meats, only a few of their choices have the 80/10/10 option. The other online places I saw have an array of options, but it just sucks that they are east coast, so the shipping prices are sky high. I’m in California so I’m glad Texas Tripe isn’t too far from me. I think for my case, I will use the Steve’s Real Food for when I’m on a time crunch or traveling so SRF will be convenient to feed the dog and cats. 😁👍

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
I have fed raw for 10 yrs now. Right after getting our first Doberman - we are now on our third Doberman. Thankfully, we have a game processing plant close to us that offers wild, range free elk, venison and sometimes buffalo, with organs and 15% bone, all ground in neat 1 lb pkg that are flash frozen. We do have to buy a box of 48 lbs which come to $130.
The benefits are bountiful. No allergies, minimal stool, easy to housebreak vs. kibble as the stool is minimized and they take in less water, making times to go outside less.
No itchy skin, no gas that I have read comments on here why their Dobes were so smelly.
I do keep a quality kibble that I know they like and do well on for times of travel, camping, dog shows, etc.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Yuki_cos, you are amazing!! Thank you so much for the suggestions! I will definitely order from Texas Tripe because they have a 20lb case for a little over $50. My two cats alone need 20lbs a month, and I plan on switching them over to raw as well. So far, I have only found 1 local place that makes raw food, but they charge an arm and leg for their products. There is another place not too far away that I will get the bulk of my food from since their prices are reasonable. However some of their products do not include the organ meats, only a few of their choices have the 80/10/10 option. The other online places I saw have an array of options, but it just sucks that they are east coast, so the shipping prices are sky high. I’m in California so I’m glad Texas Tripe isn’t too far from me. I think for my case, I will use the Steve’s Real Food for when I’m on a time crunch or traveling so SRF will be convenient to feed the dog and cats. 😁👍
Its no problem! Always glad to help when I can! I've used Texas Tripe before and would have continued but at the time, the delivery dates just didn't match with my work schedule. I like being able to run to the store and get what I need without having to wait on delivery so that's why I've done Steve's. For treats and stuff, local Asian markets will be your friend. I get chicken/duck feet and turkey necks there.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
...and I agree with Adrian, once you have a Doberman you will never be without. It is easy to become obsessed about them.

·
Banned
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have fed raw for 10 yrs now. Right after getting our first Doberman - we are now on our third Doberman. Thankfully, we have a game processing plant close to us that offers wild, range free elk, venison and sometimes buffalo, with organs and 15% bone, all ground in neat 1 lb pkg that are flash frozen. We do have to buy a box of 48 lbs which come to $130.
The benefits are bountiful. No allergies, minimal stool, easy to housebreak vs. kibble as the stool is minimized and they take in less water, making times to go outside less.
No itchy skin, no gas that I have read comments on here why their Dobes were so smelly.
I do keep a quality kibble that I know they like and do well on for times of travel, camping, dog shows, etc.
That’s awesome to hear! You are a veteran for the raw feeding game. 😂👍 I have to ask, how old did your Dobermans live to, or are they still around?

·
Banned
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Its no problem! Always glad to help when I can! I've used Texas Tripe before and would have continued but at the time, the delivery dates just didn't match with my work schedule. I like being able to run to the store and get what I need without having to wait on delivery so that's why I've done Steve's. For treats and stuff, local Asian markets will be your friend. I get chicken/duck feet and turkey necks there.
I have tons of Asian markets around me! I will definitely go there for the chicken/duck feet! I was going to order those type of things from one of the east coast companies, but you’re totally right! Good thing I didn’t jump the gun. 😂👌

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Rui, Sadly, our first Doberman died at 9 1/2. He had just got into some cat kibble the day before and thinking back we wonder if that could have contributed. I wish we had known about the GasX that was mentioned in a post by Fitzmar recently. We will never know.
Our second is now 9 1/2. She shows no evidence of slowing down. But then, her sire lived to 14 yrs of age and her dam 12 yrs.
Our third is 20 months. The one we are currently showing.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
That sentence was incomplete. The reason we wondered about the kibble was because he died from bloat.

Reactions: melbrod

·
Registered
112 Posts
That’s awesome that you’re doing a DIY raw food. What is your go-to recipe if you don’t mind me asking? 😁
I'm a butcher so I have it easy. I'll get some beef/chicken I make sure I include the fat I believe fat is healthy and needed and mix it with veggies maybe sprinkle some bone saw dust over it.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I've been raw feeding for 6-7 years. I use a local brand that doesn't sell outside the province, it is more of a BARF model (whole prey + fruit and veggies) I also give a side of raw meaty bones (necks, ribs, knuckle bones) and will top off with whatever interesting thing I find at the grocery store, frozen sardines are a favourite but occasionally even frozen frog legs have made it onto the menu.

·
Banned
73 Posts
I get cheap older meat from the supermarket and freeze it. About 1.5 pound a day, i thnk it's good for them to chew on that meat.

If i have the time i give the meat a hot boiling wash to remove excess bacteria and histamines which might make them exhibit allergy like symptoms.

You should've seen the dog reacting to the switch. Human food has always been problematic and chicken was a high value treat. She didn't dare to eat it for a while and needed reassurance for every big piece.

She still likes kibble and i use it in as low value treat, good for the kong toy and supplement i think.

I feed once a day and just give her the meat. Dog seems more relaxed about food in general but i might be seeing what i want to see.

I also supplement with an occasional egg and fats & oils for energy, olive and coconut. Apple sometimes, not much else.

I've heard that turkey necks are very good for their teeth and will encourage the owner to look into finding some.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.