Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am new to feeding raw, and as with most a little nervous about it. I am going to post my two recipes, any feedback on what to take out or what to add would be greatyl appreciated. Here goes

Recipe #1

3.5 lbs of raw beef cheekmeat
4 cans of sardines
1 can of asparagus
4 crushed eggshells

Recipe #2

5.5 lbs of raw chicken breast
4 cans of sardines
1 can of asparagus
4 crushed eggshells

I use a food processer to grind all of this down to a paste. I understand I loose some of the teeth cleaning properties by making it a paste. To correct this I have been using teeth cleaning chewies.

I feed twice a day. Once in the morning, once in the evening. Right now I am feeding 2-3% of their total body weight. To make sure they are getting proper nutrional value I am adding a twice daily vitamin. One goes with each meal.
The stats for the vitamin go as follows.

Linoleic Acid.....15.0 mg
Calcium.....4.5%
Potassium.....0.008 mg
Magnesium.....0.115 mg
Iron.....1.0 mg
Copper.....0.025 mg
Manganese.....0.30 mg
Zinc.....0.8 mg
Iodine.....0.026 mg
Vitamin A.....500.0 IU
Vitamin D3.....50.0 IU
Vitamin E.....3.0 IU
Thiamine.....0.5 mg
Riboflavin.....0.8 mg
Pantothenic Acid.....0.15 mg
Niacin.....6.5 mg
yridoxine.....0.05 mg
Folic Acid.....0.02 mg
Vitamin B12.....0.001 mg
Vitamin C.....10.0 mg
Cobalt.....0.007 mg
Ducosahexanoic Acid.....0.50 mg
Arachidonic Acid.....0.20 mg

Those stats are based on one tablet. I am willing to change any meal plan I have right now. Let me know if you think this is a good game plan, or could use some work. Like I said I am still very new to this and nervous, but I want my dogs to have the best food they possibly can. Thanks!

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
You need to educate yourself more before actually feeding raw. You are missing organ meat which should be 10% of the meal. You can do harm to your dog by not feeding raw correctly. Also, if you are going to feed veggies, use fresh or frozen, not canned. Please check out the raw and cooked recipes, along with the education, in the DogAware site below in my signature.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
I agree with Linda. Please learn more about raw feeding. Your recipes are not adequate to provide a well rounded raw diet.

I follow a prey model diet and this is what I feed:

5-10% organs (1/2 of this amount is liver)
10-15% edible bones
80-85% muscle meat

beef
venison
bison
elk
rabbitt
fish
turkey
goat
duck
mutton

Plus:
varieties of organ meat
tripe

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
Just as a warning about not feeding organs... I didn't add enough organs soon enough in my boys raw trial, and this was bad bad bad. He had other health issues, but he lost sooo much hair so quickly and was insanely itchy (I thought it was because he was still detoxing), took months to get him back to normal.

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with Linda. Please learn more about raw feeding. Your recipes are not adequate to provide a well rounded raw diet.

10-15% edible bones
80-85% muscle meat

beef
venison
bison
elk
rabbitt
fish
turkey
goat
duck
mutton

Plus:
varieties of organ meat
tripe
In your opinion is taking the raw plunge worth it?

As far as organs go, would I be able to get those at a butcher? Are any type of organs okay? Should I stay away from any? Are vegetables needed? With that setup do you rotate the meats you use or just stick with one? Do you grind the bones or feed whole? Are supplements also needed? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I am 100%. Seems like a ton of work. Just want to make sure it's worth it for the dogs.

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
She will answer more, but yes you must rotate the meats, and it is preferable to feed bones whole, unless your dog does not chew the bones. All organs are ok, but you can not overfeed, especially liver. Supplements are usually used as well, but a multivitamin may not be necessary.

I used to buy whole chickens that had the organs in them, most 'whole' animals will include organs. You can also find some organs in the grocery store.

But if you can do it, going raw is definitely worth it. My dog can't handle processed chicken/turkey, and it is not reasonable money wise for me to feed his 100lb body other meats without being able to do chicken.

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Scratch that. I'm just going to go back to a grain free kibble. I appreciate the input, just seems like I'm getting in over my head. Maybe one day I will try again. I don't want to screw this up and hurt my dogs. I would rather them be fat and happy and safe on kibble. Thanks again for all the advise.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
To answer your questions:
1. It was worth it to me to feed raw and have been doing so for several years.
2. Your butcher may have different organs. Also check ethnic stores, restaurant food suppliers and raw food co-ops.
3. I do not feed vegetables.
4. I do not grind bones. Everything is fed whole.
5. I rotate their menu with the list of meats above
6. I do not supplement.

This is a good read: http://www.dobermantalk.com/food-feeding/235-raw-feeding-faq.html

In your opinion is taking the raw plunge worth it?

As far as organs go, would I be able to get those at a butcher? Are any type of organs okay? Should I stay away from any? Are vegetables needed? With that setup do you rotate the meats you use or just stick with one? Do you grind the bones or feed whole? Are supplements also needed? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I am 100%. Seems like a ton of work. Just want to make sure it's worth it for the dogs.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Scratch that. I'm just going to go back to a grain free kibble. I appreciate the input, just seems like I'm getting in over my head. Maybe one day I will try again. I don't want to screw this up and hurt my dogs. I would rather them be fat and happy and safe on kibble. Thanks again for all the advise.
Please don't make your dogs fat! You are going to cause them health problems. If raw feeding is the not your "cup of tea", then pick what works for your dogs and yourself. You can also go on here dogfoodadvisor or dogfoodanalysis for information on quality food. I'm sure others will chime in as well.

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts

10-15% edible bones
80-85% muscle meat

beef
venison
bison
elk
rabbitt
fish
turkey
goat
duck
mutton

Plus:
varieties of organ meat
tripe
This is pretty much what I feed as well, and I'm starting year six feeding raw. I'd never feed kibble again. It is super easy once you have a freezer and have a stock on hand to rotate your food.

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
If you don't mind paying more, try out some premade raw. My cancer girl did amazing on it ( I was using Nature's Variety and a local brand Legacy).

It is expensive to feed premade, but you know it's formulated correctly, and it's good for people like me who don't want to mess around with guts and stuff.

My current dogs don't really care for it so I went back to NV kibble, after briefly trying out some Acana (Fart Food)...

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
You are just overthinking! Join a couple of lists, buy a couple of books, take a deep breath, and SIMPLIFY!

Eleven years raw, and I cannot imagine ever feeding kibble again.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Just as a warning about not feeding organs... I didn't add enough organs soon enough in my boys raw trial, and this was bad bad bad. He had other health issues, but he lost sooo much hair so quickly and was insanely itchy (I thought it was because he was still detoxing), took months to get him back to normal.
How long did you feed organ-less? I am having a hard time imagining that what you experienced was due to lack of organs...

And, for what it's worth, there are whole bunches of us (me, included) that do not believe in "de-tox" at all...

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Please don't make your dogs fat! You are going to cause them health problems. If raw feeding is the not your "cup of tea", then pick what works for your dogs and yourself. You can also go on here dogfoodadvisor or dogfoodanalysis for information on quality food. I'm sure others will chime in as well.
You read a little to deep into that comment. I intended that to be more of a figure of speech.

If you don't mind paying more, try out some premade raw. My cancer girl did amazing on it ( I was using Nature's Variety and a local brand Legacy).

It is expensive to feed premade, but you know it's formulated correctly, and it's good for people like me who don't want to mess around with guts and stuff.

My current dogs don't really care for it so I went back to NV kibble, after briefly trying out some Acana (Fart Food)...
Is the nutritional benefit the same with premade?
I wouldn't mind paying more just so I can avoid dealing with that god awful smell.

You are just overthinking! Join a couple of lists, buy a couple of books, take a deep breath, and SIMPLIFY!

Eleven years raw, and I cannot imagine ever feeding kibble again.
I don't think I'm done for good. Getting this feedback was just a good refresher letting me know I'm still to uneducated in the subject. I will do my research and try this again a little later. If I still feel too nervous I might look into the premade option. They have only been on this diet for one day, so literally two meals. I'm glad I asked when I did. This forum has proven to be great once again.

I'm not sure if I just was not searching the right places for raw food information. Seems like there is still a huge debate on what is good and what is bad. I will have to find a few books written by people who have had great success on raw feeding.

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
One more thing. That twice daily vitamin I have been giving.... Is that worth its salt, or more just a waste of time and money? I'll make sure to get some pictures up real soon!

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
One more thing. That twice daily vitamin I have been giving.... Is that worth its salt, or more just a waste of time and money? I'll make sure to get some pictures up real soon!
It looks like a waste, to me. Inconsequential amounts of the nutrients it contains...

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
I have been feeding raw for almost 3 years now and will never go back to kibble. I also feed prey model; 80% meat, 10% bone, 10% organ. No supplements other than Fish Oil, and only because my boy who will eat literally anything -- doesn't eat fish, go figure?? In the beginning, I -was so concerned about raw being balanced, I had bloodwork done about every 8-10 weeks just to be sure. When everything was fine time after time, I went to having the bloodwork done every 6 months. Now I think we will just do it annually along with his regular check-up.

My vet who was anti-raw (although not an idiot about it), paid close attention to the changes he saw in Wheeler, has done some research himself, and changed his tune.

I was overwhelmed and I started and re-started several times before I got it right. One of the things that I had trouble with was "to much too soon". I finally has success when I started with a single protein source (in my case Chicken thighs, legs & split breasts), and fed nothing else, including NO organ, for a couple of weeks. I then began adding in small amounts of organ and progressed to adding in different meats/bone in very small amounts and very gradually. Now, Wheeler can eat virtually anything with no issues. I can feed him Chicken one day and Pork the next. The ONLY thing that will give him loose stools or the runs is too much organ at one time.

I joined the Raw Feeders Yahoo Group and found it very helpful. I also found many of the links on the My Pet Carnivore site helpful as well.

Don't despair -- it really is not hard and once you get rolling you will wonder why you made it so hard to begin with.

You are welcome to PM me if you need support. I will be happy to share my experience with you and answer questions, if I am able.

Reactions: Q734

·
Super Moderator
21,981 Posts
Reactions: Luvbirds

·
Guardian to the King
1 Posts
Howdy all! First time poster, and proud owner of King Midas (6 mo. old today).

I've abandoned TWOK (The Way of Kibble) a loooong time ago, and cannot be more satisfied with the success I've had as a dog owner. What I've learned though is what Midas loves most is not always the best for him. I am a firm believer in monitoring the stool. The consistency, the amount, frequency, and even the smell. I do not do the extra diet balance of multi-vitamins or meat/bone count...at least not yet, but I do like to switch up Midas's meats.

Ground chuck, turkey necks (which he loves), Chicken gizzards (no hearts), Chicken liver, Whole chicken (after long day at park). Occasionally, I will implement some light diced pumpkin or banana to ease his digestion, but that is it. Once I get a bigger freezer, I can expand the variety.

·
_______
5,102 Posts
Hey whoa, what about splitting meals? Morning a raw meal and evening a kibble? That's what we do...and we buy the premade, because well... still need to get around to getting a freezer...make space for said freezer...lalala

People who know what they're doing can get food costs below high end kibble and certainly pre-made raw.

I always feel like I'm giving my dogs a treat when they get their raw meal.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts