Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:help_up_2 :thinking:
I love the food(Canidae) that my dorberkids eat. My question is how do I introduce some raw items(chicken, turkey necks) etc. into their diet without causing their stomach to be upset? I keep fastrack on hand and they get it a couple of times a weeks to keep their insides running top notch. I could use this if needed. As I have read here and a friend also tells me how these things are great for their teeth as well as other things. Also how often are these items needed? Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.:thanx:

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
LTH said:
:help_up_2 :thinking:
I love the food(Canidae) that my dorberkids eat. My question is how do I introduce some raw items(chicken, turkey necks) etc. into their diet without causing their stomach to be upset? I keep fastrack on hand and they get it a couple of times a weeks to keep their insides running top notch. I could use this if needed. As I have read here and a friend also tells me how these things are great for their teeth as well as other things. Also how often are these items needed? Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.:thanx:
I think if you give a turkey neck 2-3 times a week, you'll see a big difference in their teeth.

I didn't go through any kind of introduction process..just gave them a turkey neck. The big worry I had was whether they'd gulp them down rather than chewing..but so far, that's never been an issue for the dogs here. Don't remember any stomach problems as a result of the first turkey neck experience...

·
Registered
39 Posts
How messy is it to give them a raw turkey neck? Do you let them eat it in a special place or outside? Can you serve them frozen or do they have to be thawed?

·
Registered
602 Posts
DeauxB Luver said:
How messy is it to give them a raw turkey neck? Do you let them eat it in a special place or outside? Can you serve them frozen or do they have to be thawed?
Personally I don't think its messy at all. Feed it in or around the same spot you normally feed their regular food. If they wonder with it then take it away and bring it back to the same spot, they eventually figure out that "that is their spot". I have served frozen and thawed meats, the only difference I have noticed is that they "work" on the frozen meats a little more than they do on thawed.

Good luck

Naveen

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I just started the switch from Nutro lamb/rice to Innova Evo for Rudi this weekend. I also bought the Health Bars for treats. I don't think I'll ever buy another box of milk bones. I think this is the best I can do......Rudi looks at a raw chicken wing like......"WTF?" I don't think we'll have much success with a raw diet. I tried about a year ago........It is hard keeping weight on Rudi and it took me a while to get him from 55lbs skin and bones up to the 75lbs he is now. I still think he could gain atleast 10 more. I'm hoping the innova will be an improvement for him and getting him away from grains.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
If you want to add more carbs to Rudi's diet but don't want the processed grains or corn used a fillers in some kibbles, then try nuking a sweet potato/yam for him (c. 4 min in the microwave). I mash it with a fork, skin and all (scrubbed well before hand), add a touch of plain yogurt to help cool it down, then add it to the rest of the meal. That bowl looks like the proverbial 'dog's breakfast', but Java LOVES them and it's a good source of antioxidents and other goodies.

Whenever I roast a chicken, I take the meat off the back (where the skin doesn't get as crisp) and add to Java's food, along with the skin which I'll scape any visible fat off of. Then after I carve the meat off the carcass, I use my fingers to pull off any meat that's left and that goes into a bowl in the fridge for Java, along with the giblets. I know it's time-consuming, but I figure it's got to be better for her than most store-bought canned food.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Riagogogo said:
I just started the switch from Nutro lamb/rice to Innova Evo for Rudi this weekend. I also bought the Health Bars for treats. I don't think I'll ever buy another box of milk bones. I think this is the best I can do......Rudi looks at a raw chicken wing like......"WTF?" I don't think we'll have much success with a raw diet. I tried about a year ago........It is hard keeping weight on Rudi and it took me a while to get him from 55lbs skin and bones up to the 75lbs he is now. I still think he could gain atleast 10 more. I'm hoping the innova will be an improvement for him and getting him away from grains.
Due to the high fat content, Evo puts weight on dogs pretty fast...even when that's not what you wanted. :) I think it's a great kibble, but I definitely needed to feed my guys less of it to keep them at optimum weight.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Thanks for all of the input! I do make the satin balls recipe and give him one the size of a burger evry other day or so. I'll watch his weight on the evo so he doesn't pick up too much too quickly......we all know how easy it is to put on vs. take off! The Nutro, I was feeding about 3 1/2 to 4 cups per day......the evo says 2 1/4 is about right. So I'll keep an eye.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
MrDesi said:
Feed it in or around the same spot you normally feed their regular food. If they wonder with it then take it away and bring it back to the same spot, they eventually figure out that "that is their spot". I have served frozen and thawed meats, the only difference I have noticed is that they "work" on the frozen meats a little more than they do on thawed.

Good luck

Naveen
Rush was hilarious the first time I gave him a turkey neck. His eyes almost bugged out of his head, and he took off like a shot...I *think* he was convinced I'd temporarily lost my senses, gave it to him by mistake, and would come after him to take it away from him. :) But before too long, he was staying right where I'd give them to him (which is where they're fed).

I don't find it particularly messy..I put the neck on a section of newspaper, and they're all pretty good about staying on the paper with them.

The necks I give out range from partially thawed to thawed. They're pretty happy to get a neck either way.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I switched Titus a few months ago fro Nutro to California Natural lamb & rice and the CN health bars and keep him (& Jada) on it strictly and they have beautiful coats and skin. Titus had some minor skin issues with Nutro so we decided to give the CN a try at the recommendation off another dobie board and I am glad we did.
Now for a question. I do not want to stray from the lamb based protien for them so have any of you fed lamb bones?
I want to give them some but will have to find a butcher near by that carries lamb and ask about it.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
I feed lamb when on sale. It's just too expensive for me otherwise. Just make sure the butcher doesn't cut the meat in too little chockable pieces. The bigger the better. You should be able to order any cut you'd like even from your supermaket butcher. If you order a lot you might get a discount.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I have been feeding Kibble in the morning and afternoon meal and raw at evening meal. I just love it and so do the dogs. Got a great deal on Beef Brisket Friday $1.12lbs.. got 25lbs.. I gave the dogs a turkey leg the other day and they thought I was nuts too.. Kept looking at me and chewing the whole time.. crazy mom look what she gave us by mistake..

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
frznbuns said:
I gave the dogs a turkey leg the other day and they thought I was nuts too.. Kept looking at me and chewing the whole time.. crazy mom look what she gave us by mistake..
LOL, but of course they wouldn't be so foolish as to give it back.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts