Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 6mo old pup threw up last night and included with some of his food and tree bark were 4 worms YUCK! The long spagetti curled up into a slinky shape type.. roundworms.

He did have worms when I first got him at 8wks and has been through two rounds of meds. Had a feacal after the last round and was good to go. There have been no signs of worms since. So I'm wondering if he could have picked up the worms from a batch of raw food? Just wondering how many dogs I need to medicate.. so far I got the vet to make up meds for him and his playmate, but I'm wondering if the 3rd one that doesn't really play with them who ate the same food should get medicated too. :screama:

I picked up a batch of raw from a new supplier two weeks ago and some of the ground chicken mix wasn't frozen, so I used that as their meals for the next couple days instead of thawing out a batch from the freezer. Hindsight, I should have probably thrown the stuff in the freezer, as that would kill potential worm eggs (right??).

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Typically dogs don't get worms from raw food. I'd look for another source. I don't necessarily freeze any food I get for them before feeding.

Reactions: bean

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Typically dogs don't get worms from raw food. I'd look for another source. I don't necessarily freeze any food I get for them before feeding.
That's the only thing I could have thought about.. that or the worms never went away.. Would that be possible that they stayed in his system that long without showing any symptoms or me never seeing any getting pooped out?

We don't go to dog parks, I can't think of how else he would have picked them up.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
They could have stayed in the environment.

I haven't seen any site mention raw food yet in my googling.
Yes, they could have stayed in the environment, and re-infected the pup.

The pup could have been eating earthworms, which can carry roundworm larvae.

The pup could have been carrying adult worms when he was last wormed (which would have been eliminated by the wormer) and also larvae (which would NOT have been eliminated by the wormer) which could now be adult.

Raw food CAN transmit roundworms. If roundworms find themselves in a host they don't want to occupy, they encyst in muscle tissue and wait to get eaten by a more appropriate species.

I don't worry about roundworm infection from raw food (so easy to treat, and carrying a few roundworms is probably healthier than having none), but there other things I DO worry about. I keep my freezer at several degrees below zero F and I do make sure that whatever I feed has spent some time frozen first.

Any animal that might potentially be food for my dog may come with this or that nasty if it has been allowed to have a real life prior to becoming food. If it goes outside and eats grass and snuffles around in the dirt, it probably has picked up something. Ethically, I would rather spend my money with people who allow their animals to have a real life...

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok.. both are real possibilities. This guy puts every thing and any thing in his mouth.

We're trying Drontal this time around in case the last round of meds didn't fully work (Safeguard).

Yes, they could have stayed in the environment, and re-infected the pup.

The pup could have been eating earthworms, which can carry roundworm larvae.

The pup could have been carrying adult worms when he was last wormed (which would have been eliminated by the wormer) and also larvae (which would NOT have been eliminated by the wormer) which could now be adult.

Raw food CAN transmit roundworms. If roundworms find themselves in a host they don't want to occupy, they encyst in muscle tissue and wait to get eaten by a more appropriate species.

I don't worry about roundworm infection from raw food (so easy to treat, and carrying a few roundworms is probably healthier than having none), but there other things I DO worry about. I keep my freezer at several degrees below zero F and I do make sure that whatever I feed has spent some time frozen first.

Any animal that might potentially be food for my dog may come with this or that nasty if it has been allowed to have a real life prior to becoming food. If it goes outside and eats grass and snuffles around in the dirt, it probably has picked up something. Ethically, I would rather spend my money with people who allow their animals to have a real life...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts