Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! This Saturday I will be traveling to New Orleans to pick up my puppy from the airport. Needless to say, I am so excited and somewhat nervous because this will be my first time owning a Doberman and raising a puppy on my own.

Anyways, my pup has been raised on a raw diet and I don't see myself having the time to be able to prepare his meals. I did some research online and talked with my local pet food dealer and purchased Orijen Large Breed Puppy food. When I told the breeder my decision, she was mainly concerned with the protein content of the kibble being too high (38%). Theo only real issues I have heard about Orijen food is that it can be TOO rich for a pup's tummy. She suggested The Honest Kitchen Revel Dehydrated Dog Food. This is not a puppy specific food. I have not used a dehydrated dog food before but, according to Dog Food Adviser it is recommended. Its protein content is 24%. Initially my main concern was the calcium content which lead me to purchase a large breed specify food and for the puppy lifestage.

Has anyone used Orijen puppy food? & Has anyone used The Honest Kitchen?

I appreciate any help!

·
Big Lil pup
6,309 Posts
My boy was on Orijen large breed puppy. It IS very rich. Still, he did very well. Honestly, just pay attention. While not everyone will agree, my experience was that if his stools became to loose i added a lesser (4 star) kibble. The filler firmed everything right up. Now, if he has any issues (which are very minor), I add pureed pumpkin to his food. He is now on Orijen Adult and we vary the protein. He is almost 18 months. Alls good.

i will say one thing. If you are transitioning to Orijen Large Breed puppy, do it slowly. It may take a while. You may want to start out with a lower quality food.
At the suggestion of my current youngest's breeder we started him out on a 4 star large breed puppy kibble. It was great. Never an issue.

This is just my recent experience. There are members here who have tons of knowledge with respect to canine nutrition. Hopefully they will chime in.

John
Portland OR

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What food did you decide to use for the filler? I think I'm going to try mixing it first and see how he does. My next concern is how he will handle moving from raw food to dry kibble...

Thank you!

·
Registered
379 Posts
I use Honest Kitchen, but I haven't used it with a young puppy, maybe starting around 6 or 7 months with my current Great Dane who has a hard time with kibble and won't eat raw meat. I really like the food, although the poops are very large, not the small poops you get with real raw. I use the grain-free version for my sensitive stomach Dane, and the grain ones for my Doberman. For both dogs I rotate the proteins.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Maybe you can try looking up rawfeedingmiami.com ? You can order monthly and it ships right to your door. The only thing that would be time consuming is the monthly meal prep. Best wishes on your new pup!

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
My puppy's on Purina Pro plan Large breed puppy. My first dobe was on Taste of the Wild all life stages, both did wonderful. I do supplement some raw a couple of nights a week, giving the puppies just a little. When I do that I usually add more veggies.

If you do switch just know your puppy will have diarrhea and an upset stomach so you may want to get some canned pumpkin to help digestion. I would maybe see if you could do a bit of raw those first few days so it's a bit less stressful transition. New home and new diet is pretty rough. With my puppy being on the same foods as the breeders they still had a touch of diarrhea (really just loose stools is a better description) those first few days. Don't let it scare unless it's explosive and they aren't eating. Any food transitions should be slow and take about 2 weeks.

How exciting for you!!! I just picked up my boy 2 weeks ago and it was soooo exciting. Don't forget to take a leash so you can walk him. Also take some paper towels, baby wipes and dog safe cleaner just in case he has an accident in his crate. Maybe some water too in case he ran out.

AND WE WILL NEED SOME PIX OF THE CUTE FELLA!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone!

I'm going to add the pumpkin to the dry food for the first few meals and see how that works. He is 8 weeks old today! I added a couple pictures that I have got from the breeder but I will post more when we pick him up! :)

Attachments

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
I would listen to your breeder. They tend to know their line best.

As a raw feeder, a majority of my pups went to kibble homes. I never, ever recommend Orijen. For one it's just too rich. Two, the protein is too high. Three, the calcium to phosphorous ratio is unbalanced which tends to exacerbate issues with pano.

I often recommend the Acana blends instead. Same high quality but lower protein amounts and in some of the flavors the calcium to phosphorous ratio is more balanced.

·
Got mutt?
13,766 Posts
I've found that my dogs (not Dobes, by the way) simply can't tolerate the "super-ultra-high-end" type foods. They seem to do best on a "middle-of-the-road" three to four star foods, with yes ***gasp*** grain. I tried raw for a while, but the hassle of purchasing, portioning, and storage was too much for me, so I quit and am just feeding the odds and ends I have left whenever I take the notion. A lot of grain-free foods have potatoes of some sort in them, and that just seemed to make my GSD even itchier.

The "best" food is one your dog does well on, that they like to eat, and that you can afford to feed without breaking the bank.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Thanks everyone!

I'm going to add the pumpkin to the dry food for the first few meals and see how that works. He is 8 weeks old today! I added a couple pictures that I have got from the breeder but I will post more when we pick him up! :)
Wow! He's adorable! Good luck! Can't wait to see more of him!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's also a good option. Acana is made by the same company as Orijen I believe. I just want a quality food that will provide the nutrients my puppy needs without any added and nutritionally unnecessary ingredients. & I'm trying to make his transition as easy as possible.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've found that my dogs (not Dobes, by the way) simply can't tolerate the "super-ultra-high-end" type foods. They seem to do best on a "middle-of-the-road" three to four star foods, with yes ***gasp*** grain. I tried raw for a while, but the hassle of purchasing, portioning, and storage was too much for me, so I quit and am just feeding the odds and ends I have left whenever I take the notion. A lot of grain-free foods have potatoes of some sort in them, and that just seemed to make my GSD even itchier.

The "best" food is one your dog does well on, that they like to eat, and that you can afford to feed without breaking the bank.
right. The Honest Kitchen contains potatoes and I don't really know much about the affect is has on puppies.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recommend Abby's Choice Raw food because it comes already mixed with ground bone, meat and veg. You simply scoop it out of the bag and serve it. 38% protein might be too much protein on a long term basis.

·
Big Lil pup
6,309 Posts
So... I didn't transition McCoy to Orijen LBP until he was 14-15 month. Previous to that (at the recommendation of his breeder), he was on Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy. A lot of folks here seem not to endorse Eukanuba, but their LBP is a 4 star rated food. It does, however contain a lot of filler.

Just for the record, McCoy thrived on it. No allergies, skin issues, dietary problems, no pano, etc. Good growth, great muscular developement

I transitioned him slowly to Orijen, but it was no big deal. The transition to Orijen Adult was a piece of cake.

I will say one thing: A 28 lb. bag of Orijen LBP costs $80-$85. A 33 lb.Bag of Eukanuba LBP retails for about $45, but is always available for $38- $40 on line or on sale at stores like Petco.

I figure that including the variety of add-ons that I feed him, it costs me about $4.00-$4.50/day to feed him. Still, given the fact he is completely heathy and looks fantastic, I have no problem with the cost.

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
So... I didn't transition McCoy to Orijen LBP until he was 14-15 month. Previous to that (at the recommendation of his breeder), he was on Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy. A lot of folks here seem not to endorse Eukanuba, but their LBP is a 4 star rated food. It does, however contain a lot of filler.

Just for the record, McCoy thrived on it. No allergies, skin issues, dietary problems, no pano, etc. Good growth, great muscular developement

I transitioned him slowly to Orijen, but it was no big deal. The transition to Orijen Adult was a piece of cake.

I will say one thing: A 28 lb. bag of Orijen LBP costs $80-$85. A 33 lb.Bag of Eukanuba LBP retails for about $45, but is always available for $38- $40 on line or on sale at stores like Petco.

I figure that including the variety of add-ons that I feed him, it costs me about $4.00-$4.50/day to feed him. Still, given the fact he is completely heathy and looks fantastic, I have no problem with the cost.
I know many dogs who thrive on the EUK LGP.
Sometimes it's just best to select a food that they thrive on. Even if it isn't the $85 bag of food. :D

The Acana isn't "cheap" but it's a bit more affordable than the orijen.

All that said, I feed raw. It ends up being cheaper than high quality food for the number of dogs I have and I don't have to worry about random additives.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I fed my Anne Orijen large breed puppy food. It was an excellent food; the protein level was/is not excessive. After puppy hood I used Acana for quite a while. Dogs do not need, nor use, carbohydrates from the grain in those foods containing it, so stick with a good grain free or go the raw route.

This is the growth period for your puppy. It is important not to cut corners as every cell needs the best nutrition; you are building your dog's foundation.

Good luck with your new puppy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts