Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could some of you that feed raw diet tell me what kinds of recipes do you use theres so many out there that I just got overwelmed (sp). I actually am thinking about changing Hero even my Labradors on the raw diet. I probably would only use Beef for meals and maybe some others meats for treats. I also want to use veggies and fruit too. Also yoguart and cottage cheese. Thankyou all for helping me out

Have a wonderful Labor Day!!!!! :boldblue:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
460 Posts
I don't follow a recipe, I tend to use the prey model as my way of feeding. This means that I try to minic what would be eaten in the wild so while some raw feeders feed a very high percentage of RMBs(raw meaty bones) I try and keep it below 20%. I also don't feed veggies all that often and I don't give them many supplements.

Your best bet is to pick up a few books on the subject and follow the plan you feel most comfortable with. I used to follow Kymythy Schultze's version of the diet but I got lazy with having to prepare veggies, esp. since I don't feel that it's essential to a dog. I posted a link in the link section called dogaware feeding info and there you'll find links and references to more raw info. http://www.dogaware.com/dogfeeding.html#references

Just to give you an idea of what I feed, in the morning they have their meal of RMBs which can be anything from turkey necks, chicken frames to duck carcasses. I just make sure they have lots of meat of them. In the evening, they have fish oil capsules(they don't eat fish very often so I give these instead) organ meat(ranging from various turkey, chicken, beef, buffalo and duck organs) and muscle meat(anything boneless like pork, beef, green tripe, quail ect.). They also get a whole raw egg with their meals 2-3 times a week and kelp and alfalfa 1-2 times a week.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,854 Posts
i already posted an example of all the foods i feed in my faq- my animals dont follow a "recipe".


yesterday - they had heart in the AM and only snacks in the PM (training). this morning they are having beef meat, and this PM they are both having pig tails. tmw am they will not get anything, and in the afternoon i will give them both a HUGE meal (either beef necks or pig pork roast).
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
375 Posts
we dont follow a recipe... i just mix their veggies with their meats sometimes and others i just give them meat... they eat kibble even the early after noon or on the days i cant be around to make their foods...... no recipes are nessecary...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
232 Posts
Dobe_Paws said:
I don't follow a recipe, I tend to use the prey model as my way of feeding. This means that I try to minic what would be eaten in the wild so while some raw feeders feed a very high percentage of RMBs(raw meaty bones) I try and keep it below 20%. I also don't feed veggies all that often and I don't give them many supplements.

Your best bet is to pick up a few books on the subject and follow the plan you feel most comfortable with. I used to follow Kymythy Schultze's version of the diet but I got lazy with having to prepare veggies, esp. since I don't feel that it's essential to a dog. I posted a link in the link section called dogaware feeding info and there you'll find links and references to more raw info. http://www.dogaware.com/dogfeeding.html#references

Just to give you an idea of what I feed, in the morning they have their meal of RMBs which can be anything from turkey necks, chicken frames to duck carcasses. I just make sure they have lots of meat of them. In the evening, they have fish oil capsules(they don't eat fish very often so I give these instead) organ meat(ranging from various turkey, chicken, beef, buffalo and duck organs) and muscle meat(anything boneless like pork, beef, green tripe, quail ect.). They also get a whole raw egg with their meals 2-3 times a week and kelp and alfalfa 1-2 times a week.


this is why a wolf lives on average about 8 years, when they also eat fur and other things to help digest the raw foods. Wolves also havnt been selectively bred, i just dont get it, ppl are saying well they are a sophisticated breed and keep them inside all the time and pamper them, but then say they try and feed them whats in the wild

note: Im not taking any shots at u or anything nor do i mean to be insulting if i am coming off that way at u :haha:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,854 Posts
ive commented on the wolf thing before -

wolves live out in the wild. they do not have anyone providing shelter for them. they do not have anyone providing medical care. they need to get out every day and risk their life, just to live.

my doberman lives on my couch when i am not home. the biggest risk he encounters then is sitting in front of the AC too long and having cool ears.

there is a big difference and longetivity for wolves is nature's law. how long would our dogs live if we left them out there? dealing with disease, pack structure, human "intervention", old age, needing to actually catch your food, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
460 Posts
this is why a wolf lives on average about 8 years, when they also eat fur and other things to help digest the raw foods. Wolves also havnt been selectively bred, i just dont get it, ppl are saying well they are a sophisticated breed and keep them inside all the time and pamper them, but then say they try and feed them whats in the wild
We may have been been able to change their outer appearence and temperment but we have not changed their internal anatomy. Dogs are carnivores and they come well equipt to eat bones, raw meat, ect.

The fact that a wolf in the wild doesn't live as long as a pampered domestic dog doesn't mean that the diet is to blame. It would not make sense for an animal that's designed to eat a certain way, have their diet kill them in the end. If nature worked that way, any life on this planet would not have survived very long. The reason why a wolf's life expectency is so much shorter than a dog's lies within what being in the wild really means.... Extreme weather conditions, disease, fights, competition for food, ect.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,169 Posts
OK so I went to the commissary the other day to check out the frozen meats (all of our meat here is shipped in from the US or Australia so no fresh :-( ) but anyway... Who in the world eats this stuff? Oxtail? Tripe? I honestly don't know if I can feed it to my dogs... This is human grade which implies that humans eat it but I'm not quite sure that anyone would... What exactly is oxtail? I'm going again in a few days and am going to bring a pen and paper to write down the prices and have y'all tell me if it's the going rate... Lots of pork, like pig feet, they looked pretty meaty; would these be a good candidate?
I was telling my husband, Mark, about this and that I'm considering trying out the raw diet and he about choked... We are slowly becoming vegetarian in this house... He just looked at me and said "So, if I want meat I have to eat the dog food, 'cause the closest thing I get to meat in this house is Bocca burgers..."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
460 Posts
Ox tails would be good if they're whole. I can only find the ones at the grocery store that are cut and the pieces are too small for my dogs. Some of them are real meaty, it's a shame the jerk butcher at the store won't save me any whole ones. :mad1: And they're just what the sound like, tails of a cow. :)

Tripe is good too as long as it's green tripe and not the bleached stuff you find at the store for human consumption.

I was telling my husband, Mark, about this and that I'm considering trying out the raw diet and he about choked... We are slowly becoming vegetarian in this house... He just looked at me and said "So, if I want meat I have to eat the dog food, 'cause the closest thing I get to meat in this house is Bocca burgers..."
LOL!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,589 Posts
I started Lexy Raw the beginning of this week. I've been feeding am kibble and pm raw to switch her over. Today I fed AM raw also. I went to go to the butcher yesterday to get organ meat, but low and behold the butcher shop tuned into "Sally's Hair Salon II" Don't know what the "II" is for!? So I'm gonna call around today and find another one. So far I've fed mostly chicken because that's what I already had in my freezer, but today I'm going to go get some beef and stock up.

Tom sat outside with me the other night when I fed Lexy! I though he was going to be sick! He had to go back inside, he couldn't stomach the sound of her crunching the bones! It was too funny! The BIG TOUGH EX- NAVY SEAL with the sensitive "tum tum"!!!!! That's worth at least a week of good ribbing!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
460 Posts
Hey awesome! I'm glad to hear about Lexy starting the new diet. :cool2:

I don't know where you're located but this group here Carnivore Feed Supplier is just for people looking for raw food resources in their area. Often times you can find a group that'll place one big order together with a supplier(like Bravo for example) and you can get a wider variety of meats and lower pricing.

Tom sat outside with me the other night when I fed Lexy! I though he was going to be sick! He had to go back inside, he couldn't stomach the sound of her crunching the bones! It was too funny! The BIG TOUGH EX- NAVY SEAL with the sensitive "tum tum"!!!!! That's worth at least a week of good ribbing!!!
lol!! Guys are so funny aren't they? Brian thinks it's the coolest thing since sliced bread that we feed the dogs raw and every chance he gets, he'll brag about it but he won't ever feed them. Why? Because he hates the feel of raw meat. He gets too grossed out by it. :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,854 Posts
TracyJo said:
OK so I went to the commissary the other day to check out the frozen meats (all of our meat here is shipped in from the US or Australia so no fresh :-( ) but anyway... Who in the world eats this stuff? Oxtail? Tripe? I honestly don't know if I can feed it to my dogs... This is human grade which implies that humans eat it but I'm not quite sure that anyone would... What exactly is oxtail? I'm going again in a few days and am going to bring a pen and paper to write down the prices and have y'all tell me if it's the going rate... Lots of pork, like pig feet, they looked pretty meaty; would these be a good candidate?
I was telling my husband, Mark, about this and that I'm considering trying out the raw diet and he about choked... We are slowly becoming vegetarian in this house... He just looked at me and said "So, if I want meat I have to eat the dog food, 'cause the closest thing I get to meat in this house is Bocca burgers..."
oxtail and tripe is AWESOME - green tripe (make sure its green, not the bleached white version) is GREAT for dogs and most ADORE it.

oxtail - try to get it whole, otherwise it could be a gulping/obstruction issue. its literally the tail of the ox.

pigs feet tend to be fairly boney and not very meaty at all - they can be fed, but know they are mostly meat and skin with some tendons/soft tissue, not meat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,589 Posts
"he'll brag about it but he won't ever feed them. Why? Because he hates the feel of raw meat. He gets too grossed out by it."


We're married to some TOUGH MEN aren't we!!! Thank goodness they have a "little" woman to do all the gross work for them!!! Tom and I went fishing last year and caught some good sized crappie, we decided to bring them home and then he wasn't able to kill them!!! I had to bludgeon them for him! He went inside while I did it!! Ohhh he'd be SOOOOO mad at me if he knew I told about that!!! He cleaned them without a problem, just couldn't kill them!

By the way, did all raw today! Another thing I noticed, Lexy eats ALOT slower now. She WOLFED the kibble down, but she takes her time with the raw. I did a little chicken organ meat, an egg, and some ground beef tonight. She got her RMB this morning with chicken thighs. I finally feel good about what I'm feeding her, and the more I think about it and think about the kibble, the happier I am with this decision.

Thanks again to everyone for all their great info! And thanks for the link, I will check it out to stock up on some bulk. I went looking for some deals today and really couldn't find anything fantastic so I just got some to hold us over until we find some better deals.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
460 Posts
Tom and I went fishing last year and caught some good sized crappie, we decided to bring them home and then he wasn't able to kill them!!! I had to bludgeon them for him! He went inside while I did it!! Ohhh he'd be SOOOOO mad at me if he knew I told about that!!! He cleaned them without a problem, just couldn't kill them!
LOL I about fell out of my chair laughing. The above is the real reason why Brian and I don't go fishing together. He claims it's because he'd rather fish in a boat than off shore but I know it's because he'd feel awful killing a fish.

By the way, did all raw today! Another thing I noticed, Lexy eats ALOT slower now. She WOLFED the kibble down, but she takes her time with the raw.
Yes, I noticed this w/Ava too. Right before I had made the leap from kibble to raw, she had a bad choking episode with her kibble. So bad, I thought I was going to have to rush her to the emergency clinic. She would inhale her food so fast, I can't imagine she ever got to taste it. I was worried that she'd choke eating raw too but she takes her time with it and chews it all very throughly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
232 Posts
Dobe_Paws said:
We may have been been able to change their outer appearence and temperment but we have not changed their internal anatomy. Dogs are carnivores and they come well equipt to eat bones, raw meat, ect.

The fact that a wolf in the wild doesn't live as long as a pampered domestic dog doesn't mean that the diet is to blame. It would not make sense for an animal that's designed to eat a certain way, have their diet kill them in the end. If nature worked that way, any life on this planet would not have survived very long. The reason why a wolf's life expectency is so much shorter than a dog's lies within what being in the wild really means.... Extreme weather conditions, disease, fights, competition for food, ect.

well check this, what scared me away was someoen on another forum saying they came in and found there dog dead and found out it was from salmonella because the GSD was on a raw diet, then i heard about someoen doing it while their DObe was pregnant and sout of 10 pups 7 died, some with no eyes, one with no tail or anus, one with the intestines on the outside of the body, idk i dont wanna risk it till someoen can convince me other wise
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,854 Posts
and if you read the rest of the thread, people involved in high risk pregnancy said it most likely was NOT the raw diet that caused those birth defects -- is there any other research you have?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
doberkim said:
oxtail and tripe is AWESOME - green tripe (make sure its green, not the bleached white version) is GREAT for dogs and most ADORE it.

oxtail - try to get it whole, otherwise it could be a gulping/obstruction issue. its literally the tail of the ox.

pigs feet tend to be fairly boney and not very meaty at all - they can be fed, but know they are mostly meat and skin with some tendons/soft tissue, not meat.

I actually have two ox tails in the freezer right now and I WILL not cook it or eat it. But would give it for the doggies. :eek2: hehehe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
460 Posts
I don't doubt that a dog couldn't get sick from bacteria in raw meat but I would never not feed my dog raw meat because of bacteria. Dogs encounter bacteria all the time, when they lick their rear ends, when they eat something dead and stinky off the ground and salmonella has been found in commercial dog food as well so you're not shielding them from the 'dangers' of bacteria by not feeding raw meat. A healthy dog can handle bacteria and I would suspect that if a dog were to become sick from it that there must be an underlying problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,589 Posts
Yup and in my research about raw diets, I've learned that there are some good bacterias that benifit our dogs that they don't get from day to day kibbles.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top