Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Kim is just being helpful WAB, as she knows a lot more than the most of us (me! without a doubt) about the raw diet and essential ingredients in it. She just wanted to add to the list you were great in prviding for us in the first place because of her knowledge of it.

·
Banned
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
i know she is being helpful and i appreciate it... i wish she wouldnt make assumptions to say i never fed raw at all.. i have just never as a meal... anyway... that is all iw as saying sorry if it came off pissy

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have a question on this.

What is the difference between buying from these companies & just going to the grocery store & buying meat for your dog?

It seems it would be the same price or even cheaper buying at the local store.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Some people have trouble finding good prices locally. I think some companies offer a larger bulk selection for a lower per pound price.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
SamHayne said:
I have a question on this.

What is the difference between buying from these companies & just going to the grocery store & buying meat for your dog?

It seems it would be the same price or even cheaper buying at the local store.
well, most of the stuff people tend to buy premade is more "complete" in that it has bone.

you cannot get ground bone in ground meat from foodstores and most butchers dont do it either (its against the law in many states). so thats a plus in that respect.

in addition, some people want to feed ground but dont have the time or desire to grind for themselves. so premade ground is a plus there.

and for others ( which is my case) buying from these companies (i buy ground and RMBs) is ideal because they are cheaper. i can get beef for under 2 dollars a lb, which is almost impossible in my region.

me, ill buy from any source i consider reputable as long as the price is right :) i get a LOT from the foodstore (for isntance, pork is definitely cheaper from stop and shop than from the suppliers i use, so i dont buy pork from them)

·
Registered
116 Posts
A good resource for raw feeders are Yahoo Groups.

Here is a link that will get you into 145 groups that are doing everything from discussing raw feeding to the management of large raw feeding co-ops.

Yahoo! Groups : Search Results

These co-ops are excellent and if you can get into one, they are a true bonanza.

Here in Arizona, we have a marvelous co-op going. Read about it here:

AZ Raw Bones Coop: raw food products for dogs in arizona!, AZ Raw Bones Coop

A lot of dogs here in Arizona are doin' raw and luvin' it! (Including mine!)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hey Everyone,

My name is Derrick and I'm new to this site. Are any of your breeders? or just pet owners?Derrick
Welcome. There are a lot of both. Check on the main forum page. There is a breeders section and most all the other sections are in some way applicable or of interest to pet owners. You won't find a lot dealing with breeders or pet owners in this thread as we are discussing raw feeding here.

·
Registered
809 Posts
whiteandblue that is great you are switching your pups to raw.. make sure they get the proper ratio of calcium/phosphorus for their growing joints.

i prefer RMB for my crew for their teeth, but also feed ground and boneless as well. if i feed a whole cornish hen or chicken i give the dogs the organs that come inside as well, you can also buy premade organ meat at bravo or omas too and that makes it easier , and i will get chicken on sale at shop rite when they have their .53 a lb of quarters on sale if i run low , other wise i use raw suppliers like bravo, omas, and actual co ops or raw butchers that deal with just raw for good deals.. the more i buy the cheaper it is.. you are better off getting a stand alone freezer that can hold at least 200 lbs or more, as those pups should be eating around 3-5 lbs of raw a DAY as they are growing..

its great that you are taking the plunge to raw, just make sure you add organ meat, muscle meat at the proper ratio along with bones as well

here is my list for raw feeders who just start out to learn from too

some great websites and books for those wanting to go to BARF diets with their dogs:

BARF for Beginners - Most Frequently Asked Questions
Raw Feeding FAQ
SundaySaver: National - Weekly Sales Circulars & Sunday Newspaper Ads

pets.groups.yahoo.com/gro...-Supplier/
Books:
The BARF Diet by Ian Billinghurst, DVM
Home-Prepared Dog & Cat Diets: the Healthful Alternative
by Donald R. Strombeck
Natural Nutrition for Dogs and Cats by Kymythy Schultze
Work Wonders by Tom Lonsdale, DVM
The Holistic Guide for a Healthy Dog by Wendy Volhard
Switching To Raw by Susan K. Johnson
The New Natural Cat by Anitra Frazier
Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats by Richard Pitcairn, DVM and Susan Hubble Pitcarin
The Complete Herbal Handbook for the Dog and Cat by Juliette de Bairacli Levy
Raw Dog Food by Carina Beth McDonald
Websites:
General Information About Raw Diets
Raw Learning Site
The Top 50 BARF FAQ for Beginners
WellPet's Nutrition Articles
Caber Feidh's Holsitic Care Articles (site owned/articles written by sfraw member, Christie Keith)
RawFed.com
US Raw Meaty Bones Organization
Raw Connections

Articles
What's Best, Cooked or Raw?
Do Dogs and Cats Need Grains?
The Importance of Feeding a Natural Diet
Natural Diet for Dogs and Cats by Jeff Levy DVM
Why Raw?
Is A Raw Diet Dangerous? by Dr. Wysong
Why Cats Shouldn't Eat Dry Food

Raw Diet Guru Websites
Richard Pitcairn
Ian Billinghurst
Wendy Volhard
Tom Lonsdale
Kymythy Schultz
Sue Johnson
Marina Zacharias - based on Juliette de Bairacli Levy's diet
Monica Segal
Feline Specific Sites
Pottenger Cats study
Cat Nutrition
Feline Future
Holisticat
Raw Fed Cats
Michelle T. bernard's diet
How to prepare fresh cat food by Christine M. Ruessheim
Canine Specific Sites
The BARF Pictorial
Raw Dog Ranch Step-by-Step Pictorial
Raw Fed Dogs
Lew Olson
Dogaware
4LoveofDog
Forums:
Raw Diet Lists
The RawFeeding List (the biggest raw diet list - you should start here if new to raw)
The RawDiet List
The RawPaws List
The RawChat List
The BARFWorld List (hosted by veterinarian, Dr. Ian Billinghurst)
The advBARF List (for advanced discussions - no beginners, please)
The Basic Raw List (for those following more of a Lonsdale/whole carcass approach)
The BARFLite List (for those who feed cooked meat or kibble in addition to raw)

General Health Lists
WellPet (the original pet health list)
The NaturalPet List
The HolisticPet List
The Pets4Homeopathy List
Feline Lists
The Holisticat List
The CatBARF List
The CatNutrition List
The RawCat List
The FelineFutureDiet List
The CatWell List (general cat health, not just diet)
Canine Lists
The K9NutritionStudyGroup List
The RawPup List (great for learning to feed puppies raw)
The RawBreeder List
The NaturalRawDog List
The SeniorRawFeeding List
Ferret List
The NaturalFerret List
For breed specific raw groups, please go to the Yahoo! Groups site and do a search for your breed "+ BARF" or "+ raw". You will usually find a list specifically tailored to fanciers of your breed and/or breed type (sighthounds, giant breeds, toy breeds, etc.)
The RawVet List is a great place to send your vet so they can learn more about raw diets!
Dog Feeding Info
Re: BARF websites and books
Raw Feeding
Feeding a Raw Diet
Raw Diet | B-Naturals.Com Newsletter
www.b-naturals.com/natural.php
Re: BARF websites and books
BARF Diet - Healthy & Natural Raw Food For Dogs & Cats, Pet Health Care Food & Nutrition Products Supply Online
BARF for Beginners - Most Frequently Asked Questions
Welcome to barfers Homepage: Find it all on barfers.com
The Raw Dog Ranch website was hacked and had a trojan implanted into some of the pages
www.angelfire.com/biz/fro...awFed.html
www.b-naturals.com/default.php
www.ipindex.com/
Caber Feidh Scottish Deerhounds
www.bowchow.com/
www.forums.doghobbyist.com/fo...p?catid=29
Raw Feeding
RawFed.com Home Page
Jane Anderson's Raw Learning Site

premade raw:
Oma's Pride Home
bravodiet.com
Nature's Variety
Highest Quality Raw Pet Foods on this Planet
BARF Diet Frozen Raw Dog and Cat Food | BARF Diet Bones and Raw Pet Food
Amoré Pet Foods - Frozen Raw Natural Dog and Cat Food
Premium Raw Holistic Dog & Cat Food
Healthy Paws Raw Pet Food
Organic, Holistic Pet Food, Premium Pet Food - The Honest Kitchen

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
for the record, whiteandblue is not a member of this board any longer - she is long banned (and her multiple other personas) - this post is originally from years ago. i dont know why this poster bumped it up, of all the raw feeding posts.

Reactions: Lexus

·
Registered
1 Posts
These links are amazing - thanks everyone for sharing them!
I'm thinking of switching my male dobey pup (8 months) over to BARF and I'm wondering if anyone here can remember the approximate quantity of BARF that they fed their boy at about the same age. Any examples of what is a favourite/standby meal in your house would be greatly appreciated as well!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts