Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bones Can Kill Your Dog So Find Out which Ones are Safe

I came across this article and am wondering what the raw feeders think of it. I've heard this Dr. Becker gives good advice, but am confused by some things.
i.e. It's okay to give femur and hip bones for recreation, but don't give a cut leg bone. Isn't a femur a leg bone? Is she really referring to soup bones found in groceries? Also she says rib bones splinter. I was hoping I could give these to the dogs. Experiences with rib bones anyone? Funny how cattle are so large but the majority of the bones are not recommend.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I have just recently given Ivan some beef rib bones. The reasoning behind this was that weight bearing bones are more likely to crack teeth. However, I have since read a bunch of articles indicating rib bones are likely to splinter and are therefore not good to give either. I would agree that Ivan has broken the rib bones down into splinters, but that he chews those splintered bones up before swallowing. Now is he going to do that everytime? I don't know. Is he really going to crack a tooth on a weight bearing bone? I don't know. I think the only way to avoid the potential danger of a bone is to not give bones at all.

·
Registered
551 Posts
It was so confusing learning about bones and what to feed and all that stuff when I first started researching raw feeding. I don't have a dog yet, but I will be feeding any future dogs of mine raw, if everything goes as planned. This is my feeling on bones.
Obviously no cooked bones, ever.
For me, no bones that are "recreational", "soup bones", "marrow bones", etc. I just see no point in giving a huge femur bone (tooth cracking hazard, apparently) with no meat on it, when your dog's teeth get perfectly clean from chicken quarters, whole turkey, lamb necks, whatever. Even if you can only give your dog a bone-in meal two or three times a week, that's plenty of good teeth cleaning action. I would never feed my dog any leg bones from weight bearing animals, like cow, deer, elk, etc. They are too dense from carrying so much weight.
Rib bones. I'm not as sure about this one. Lots of people with medium to large sized dogs feed a rack of beef bones to their dogs (never just one by itself). I don't think those necessarily break teeth, more like it's just way too much bone at once. So let them eat for a while, and when most of the meat is gone and they've gotten some bone, take it away.
If people want to supply something "recreational" to their dog to keep them occupied, I would suggest a Kong stuffed with something, a Nylabone of some kind, or deer antlers. Big, dense bones are something I will always stay away from.

Keep in mind I have never raw fed before, but I'm kind of obsessed with learning as much as possible about it, so I'm prepared when that day comes.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I feed bones, raw bones; not cooked or boiled. I do not feed weight bearing bones unless supervised as I do all of their meals anyway. I will just be there longer for those types of bones. Once they get all the meat off and it becomes nothing but bone I get the bone marrow out for them and then dispose of them. Most of their bones are ck bones as she stated. When I feed pork necks, pig feet, hip bones and the sort. I do have issues with them becoming constipated especially Cujo. Also on these days I feed a bit more organ to try to off set the constipation. So I do not feed these type bones as often. I save them for a day its pretty outside and know I will have time to sit around and watch them enjoy them. I have fed rib bones and have never seen them splinter for my dogs. Doesnt mean they dont. I also feed turkey necks partially frozen and raw pig ears which are a tiny bit longer for chewing than ck bones.

ETA: I believe it was Adara with Flirt who has had an issue with feeding bones. Hopefully she will chime in.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just trying to sort things out and give the dogs variety. A frozen Kong is short lived. Ripley has become uninterested in antlers (even if PB is smeared on it). Bully sticks can get pricey for as quick as she goes thru them.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Just trying to sort things out and give the dogs variety. A frozen Kong is short lived. Ripley has become uninterested in antlers (even if PB is smeared on it). Bully sticks can get pricey for as quick as she goes thru them.
With a dobe, they go thru most anything fast! Kyrah can eat a frozen chunk of meat (1lb or so) right out the freezer in 4 minutes or less. I get the longest chew from pork neck bones which I know will result in her probably throwing up small fragments that didnt digest. Or when I get lucky and get some deer legs with meat still attached.

·
We Serve the Doberman
900 Posts
Last time I bought beef soup bones, the butcher recommended boiling for 15 mins to kill of any potential E Coli.

Any thoughts on this?

I've tried somany things, beef bones are the only things that keep them busy and happy for a few hours. I also give them peanut butter frozen inside hollow beef Bones. Oh and almost-empty peanut butter jars. They love those!

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
Vader get chicken leg quarters and turkey necks as his meals. He is an excellent chewer. He was weaned on raw. He also gets ground some with bone some without. He eats a variety of meats. Right now he is eating chicken, turkey, duck, beef and bison with fresh green tripe thrown in to the mix. He will not touch pork unless it is cooked and someone is using it for training treats - didn't realize he'd eat it until a friend at training gave him a piece of pork loin she'd made for dinner the previous night. He also gets fish. He will eat small fish whole but not big fish. I don't think he likes the fins. Plus it's kinda gross watching them eat the heads. Lol. And fresh green tripe is the worst smelling stuff on the planet!

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Last time I bought beef soup bones, the butcher recommended boiling for 15 mins to kill of any potential E Coli.

Any thoughts on this?

I've tried somany things, beef bones are the only things that keep them busy and happy for a few hours. I also give them peanut butter frozen inside hollow beef Bones. Oh and almost-empty peanut butter jars. They love those!
I would not boil any bones period. IMO dogs can not get e-coli. Here is a link to another thread that has some of this info in it. You can skip down to post #14 to start that info.

ETA: Oops...heres the link. http://www.dobermantalk.com/doberman-health/64301-raw-diet.html

·
We Serve the Doberman
900 Posts
I will go read this right away....i would LOVE to NOT have to boil them of course.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts