Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dobes ears are tapped up and they look awesome but dang it... he made it thru the rack without anymarks raw spots or anything but her on the other hand had a huge raw mark...

Now the tape is rubbing his ears raw at the top and hers are fine... what the heck is up... she is fine with the tape and hated the rack... he loved the rack hates the tape... AAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!! :eek2: Im going to pull all my hair out can you guys give me an idea what to put on it to help to keep it from being raw or getting infected...

I am just cleaning it with antiseptic wash...

·
Registered
460 Posts
Hmmm... What kind of tape are you using?

A rack huh? I don't believe I've seen that method. Have any pictures?

·
Banned
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dobe_Paws said:
Hmmm... What kind of tape are you using?

A rack huh? I don't believe I've seen that method. Have any pictures?
yes check the gallery of the white dobermans and the blue dobermans both are mine... but it is like a ace bandage wrap that has adhesive on it... i know that this crap is sticky.... i have to use baby oil to get it off... i have to soak both ears then remoe it on tuesday... but dang it... i worry about his ears...

check out the rack and there are pics of the wrap too... ill see if i can get some closer pictures of what he has now if you cant tell....

·
Registered
460 Posts
I really don't know but perhaps they're sensitive to the tape's adhesive? I used Johnson & Johnson cloth tape for Ava's ears and it seemed to be very gentle on her skin. On the other hand, it wasn't as sticky as I would have liked but changing her posts was no big deal.

I saw the pictures of the rack. That's quite a contraption! It didn't bother him at all? What's the advantage of using that vs. posts or the cup?

·
Banned
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It seems unbelievably stable... i never had a problem with him... he walked around like normal... didnt itch. shake nothing...

My blue was shaking like crazy poor girl... caused a huge knot and raw spot on her head the size of a half dollar... but i think it is more stable...personally and that is what my vet said... but then again i never had the cup method either...

Im going in on Thursday to see my vet to get these ears re wrapped... and it is going by so slow for them... their ears finally starting coming out of the bottom but i have two more day s then ill just remove it. and start over on thursday LOL...

im gonna talk to my vet about that and see if he maybe allergic or his skin is to sensitive for it..

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Hope the trouble clears up..... My brace had a special adhesive on it, I only used tape to secure it in the middle, it never touched her ears. I had another liquid that removed the adhesive when it was time to change the brace. Best of luck.

·
Banned
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i got the first tapings off and his ears were raw... no hair or anything yes he is allergic to the adhesive so he is on medications to help the situation.. however they are still taped up but with lots of gauze between the ear and the tape so very little adhesive except around the ears should be touching the skin... it looks much better and neosporin helps tremendously. hopefully we wont have to wait forever to get his ears to stand up. because im gonna go crazy he bites tasneems ears again and drags her around by them LOL... he is a barbarian. im gonna kick his white behind... but they are doing much better thanks guys for the ideas. it is fough when moms are like OMG. what todo now... but it is all good with that... thanks guys

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
I don't miss the ear brace days that's for sure.... Looking back it didn't seem like that long or that big of a deal, but back then it felt like forever and it would never be over! Watching them alllllll the time, ohh, is that ear loose? Oh man, needs redone again, great she ran right into the chair and it's all bent out of wack again...... EkkkKK!!!

·
Banned
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
thank you so much.. it took me forever to figure it out LOL

you know i do that crap all the time.. finally i gave up on the bent part i asked the doc to stick some wood in there so it wouldnt bend. LOL it is between the cotton stuff... lol.. i love it they can run into what ever they want now.

the problem is prince trying to drag tasneema round by her ears still LOL that will never end.

·
Registered
232 Posts
whiteandblue said:
It seems unbelievably stable... i never had a problem with him... he walked around like normal... didnt itch. shake nothing...

My blue was shaking like crazy poor girl... caused a huge knot and raw spot on her head the size of a half dollar... but i think it is more stable...personally and that is what my vet said... but then again i never had the cup method either...

Im going in on Thursday to see my vet to get these ears re wrapped... and it is going by so slow for them... their ears finally starting coming out of the bottom but i have two more day s then ill just remove it. and start over on thursday LOL...

im gonna talk to my vet about that and see if he maybe allergic or his skin is to sensitive for it..

Blues are known for bad skin

·
Banned
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yes but you can help prevent their problems if they get the essential oils they need... all blue dobes can have skin problems however they can be prevented with lots of works and time.... i seen a blue dobe that was 12 yrs old and she had all her hair and no skin problems... i asked why they did they said oil supplements not to many baths... and so on... and so far the only problem i have is prince biting her

1 - 13 of 13 Posts