Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Da Boss
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to give Brandy an occasional raw treat, depending on your experiences/advice. It's something she's never had before and it seems like it would be a good enrichment tool. Also, I think the bones will help clean her teeth up a little better than the chews she has now. Is it a good idea though, since she's 6 and has never had anything raw? Also, what would I start her out with? Beef knuckle, chicken pieces, turkey necks?

Thanks for your time and advice!

·
Super Moderator
21,989 Posts
Shanoa gets raw beef knuckles regularly. I think that's a good "starter" raw food.

Reactions: Meldrew79

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
It's fine! Whatever you want to start with is fine! The first dog i switched to raw was over ten and had been on chemotherapy for over a year for lymphoma (i.e. she should not have had much of an immune system left). Her introduction to raw was: "Here! Eat this!" and it was onward and upward from there.

A healthy dog does not need to be treated delicately!

My one caution regards mechanics. If she hasn't had the experience of eating/gnawing on pieces, make sure she figures out how to do it safely. Small things may be choked on, as may long skinny things. My dog, although weaned onto raw as a puppy and over eight years old now, is an idiot! If I gave her a turkey neck, she would try to greedily suck it down and get it lodged in her throat. Just learn your dog's eating style using large and irregularly shaped pieces, and you will be able to figure out what is safe. Maybe hold on to the end of something like a turkey neck so that she figures out how to chomp it up. One of the raw lists I was on used to say "A dog can't choke on something bigger than it's head!"

·
Da Boss
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses!

I've been doing a little more research online. Apparently, you can get ground beaver for your dog...yum? :tongueout1:

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
If you give chicken, a dog can choke on the wings. Also, watch out how much skin it has as skin is fat heavy and too much fat can cause pancreatitis. Skinless chicken backs are cheap and good to feed for cleaning teeth. I fed Parker leg quarters for a meal, but had to hold on to them or he would chomp, swallow, chomp, swallow. My heart couldnt take it. Once you find out whether you can trust her or not, you might be able to give turkey necks or wings. Both are excellent for cleaning teeth, as are pork ribs. You should freeze for 3 days to kill any parasites in or on the meat before feeding.

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
I give my dogs raw turkey necks, gullets, and chicken wings ocassionally. I've noticed their teeth still get dirty..I guess it is because I don't feed RMBs every day. I have started brushing their teeth again :D

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I do raw bones for treats a couple times a week with my dogs or dogs who are visiting and everyone does great! I usually do raw knuckles but find soup bones easy and just ask for them to be cut extra long compared to what you normally see packaged in the super market.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I've been doing a little more research online. Apparently, you can get ground beaver for your dog...yum?
You can, but I wouldn't. Beavers can carry a wide range of bacterial, protozoal and worm parasites, many of which survive freezing quite well. If I was going to feed beaver, I would cook it well. Since I feed raw, I don't feed beaver.

I distribute raw food for a company which offers beaver. I discourage it's purchase and haven't sold a single solitary container.

·
Da Boss
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can, but I wouldn't. Beavers can carry a wide range of bacterial, protozoal and worm parasites, many of which survive freezing quite well. If I was going to feed beaver, I would cook it well. Since I feed raw, I don't feed beaver.
Yeah, that's just a little too disgusting for me....I was just surprised to see it available. Didn't know that beaver was on the menu for anyone!

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Dreizehn and Ruthie get the occasional raw treat be it a marrow bone, chicken thigh, chicken feet, and turkey necks. They love them! My suggestion would be to not start out with a giant piece but start small and move her up to pieces with more meat on them as she gets used to it.

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
We feed raw here, and their "snacks" are chicken feet. The dogs LOVE them. :)
Yes! Mine do too! They're like potato chips for them. Super cheap and easy to find at the ethnic markets.

I feed the tom turkey necks (they're huge!), beef knuckles, the occasional beef/pork neck bone, a meaty and large oxtail, and chicken quarters.

I'd start with poultry and skinless. A few of mine had some stomach issues with the fat when we first went raw. But all of them embraced it right away...I didn't have to coax them to eat a thing.

Reactions: Meldrew79

·
Da Boss
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is just what I was looking for, thanks so much everyone!

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
i've always fed chicken frames as treats and raw meaty thighbone (with knuckle) for entertainment/teeth cleaning. Remember to adjust the amount of kibble down accordingly if there's a lot of meat on the bones (or you use mince) if you don't have a self-regulator. Most will leave kibble when they're full...but there always seems to be room for raw :lol: ...it's doggy "icecream"

Basil had his first frame the other day, for approximately 1 minute he had no idea what to do with it except sniff and lick, but he sure worked it out quick and demolished over half of it. I've given it a few days to make sure it all comes out the other end no problems to ensure this can be a regular part of his diet. He did fine!

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
My suggestion would be to not start out with a giant piece but start small and move her up to pieces with more meat on them as she gets used to it.
I would actually suggest the opposite. Until a dog has learned the mechanical aspects of eating pieces, large is safer than small since it is not a choking hazard. For some dogs (MY dog!), small is never safe at all... greedy dogs can make mistakes. Rachael has stolen and sucked down a whole lamb heart... she almost didn't get it down. She has always been raw fed, and she is STILL an idiot!

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Yeah, that's just a little too disgusting for me....I was just surprised to see it available. Didn't know that beaver was on the menu for anyone!
Not disgusting, I don't think, just potentially risky.

When it first became available, I went a-Googling to see if it was a good idea. I found a fair number of working folks who do feed it, and obviously their dogs are not dropping dead right and left. Still, it carries risks that I would not assume unless there was no alternative... and, since there are all sorts of good alternatives, I don't see a reason to do this.

Some of the working folks are NUTS. One guy wasn't too sure about raw, so he was BOILING COYOTE CARCASSES. Really? Who in their right mind does that??? LOL

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
I would actually suggest the opposite. Until a dog has learned the mechanical aspects of eating pieces, large is safer than small since it is not a choking hazard. For some dogs (MY dog!), small is never safe at all... greedy dogs can make mistakes. Rachael has stolen and sucked down a whole lamb heart... she almost didn't get it down. She has always been raw fed, and she is STILL an idiot!
Agree. I always make sure that whatever they're given (with exception to chicken feet) is as large as their head or very close. I had one that gulped so badly that I started giving him his portion still frozen so he had to work for it instead of just inhaling it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts