Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All,

I'm new and living in Austin, TX. It's been ten years since I parted with the sweet Doberman girl that I grew up with, and now that I'm getting a home with some land, I would like to get another, or two.

My main criteria in selecting a puppy are health, intelligence, and temperament - and under $500. I would be willing to rescue from a shelter, but I would prefer a purebred with a known history, and also a pup young enough to learn to get along with my feisty 6-month old tomcat. I've checked the websites of the local shelters and the few Dobies they do have are typically mixed or 1yr. olds and up.

So I was browsing the classifieds of the Houston Chronicle and came across these listings:

(I would link to the pictures directly but it's a Flash application)

http://shopping.chron.com/sp?keywords=doberman&cid=29&x=0&y=0
What do y'all think of those, especially the second ad offering pups for $400?

I also found several listings in the Austin American-Statesman for pups ranging in price from $250-500.

http://class.statesman.com/classifieds-bin/classifieds?property=austin&tp=Austin&classification=pets+and+livestock&temp_type=detail&date=&ad_range=today%2CTuesday_BEFORE%28TODAY%29&get_ads.x=0&get_ads.y=0&keyword=doberman

Does anyone know a reputable breeder in my area and in my price range? I don't need show quality, just a smart and healthy dog.

·
Super Moderator
15,643 Posts
To be honest, you seem to be looking in all the wrong places. Not to mention it is highly unlikely that you will find the puppy you are looking for (from a reputable breeder/breeding program) at that price. Alot of good breeders will really try and accomodate you if you are on a tight budget (quarterly payments etc.). If you are dead set on a pup i would suggest going through the dpca breeder refferal, but be warned, even some through the dpca are iffy. Take a moment to look at a few of the threads in the breeder section. But really, I think you should reconsider adopting from a rescue or shelter as your primary option. in some cases there is alot of history on the dogs, and in rare cases you might be able to meet the previous owner(s).

·
Banned
6,743 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
One word of caution please do not get a 5 week old pup they need to be with the mother & siblings the full 8-12 weeks they learn so much. Biting for one which is hard for a human to teach.
Patches Mom

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I started off looking at petfinder.com, and craigslist.org, and browsing as many websites of Texas breeders as I could find, and all the doberman rescues. I also read several threads of this forum and others. I'm aware that conventional wisdom is basically "pet quality = $1000+"; and that "you either pay for it up front or later at the vet."

Nevertheless, there has to be a great puppy in Texas for under $500 and under, say, 12 weeks old...

In 1986, my dad bought my aforementioned dog, Raven, out of the Houston Chronicle for $100. I was 8 years old and remember driving across town to some house and going in their garage to pick out a puppy. She lived a long time and was healthy and sweet. I miss her still.:emo10:

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Tell you what....if my puppy digs another hole in my backyard.....I will mail her to you. Hows that?
Seriously though, if you are willing to wait, I'm sure that you could find a puppy thru rescue. You might start contacting them and letting them know that you are interested. Alot of times rescues that have puppies do not advertise them on their website. Before I got Rommel (my first dobe) the rescue I looked at had 2 puppies. They didn't advertise them. She only told me about them after I had filled out all of my paperwork and she had approved me. They were around 12-14 weeks old, and I was (stupidly) worried that I couldn't have their ears cropped so I didn't take one. I now realize that a doberman is a doberman. I prefer the cropped look, but I would take a floppy one too. Just keep an open mind, you might be surprised what you can find.

·
_______
5,102 Posts

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I know this is at the Illinois doberman rescue...i just wanted to show that there are dobe puppies at the rescues almost every time I take a look....
if you don't want to spend over $500 you might as well help a homeless doberman that needs a loving home and support the right people with the little you pay to adopt compared to even $500 going to a "breeder"
here are some links...
Lager
http://www.ildoberescue.com/displayDog.php?id=186
Argos
http://www.ildoberescue.com/displayDog.php?id=216

wonka (mix)
http://www.ildoberescue.com/displayDog.php?id=227
fanny may (mix)
http://www.ildoberescue.com/displayDog.php?id=228
Hershey (mix- from same litter as above just very different color)
http://www.ildoberescue.com/displayDog.php?id=229
Cadbury (mix)
http://www.ildoberescue.com/displayDog.php?id=230
brach (mix)
http://www.ildoberescue.com/displayDog.php?id=233

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
You can take the chances and get lucky from a BYB/puppy mill dog but the chances are a lot slimmer then they appear. My first dobe found us and adopted us for his own but my second came from a rescue after a "breeder" of "quality dobermans"/puppy mill was shut down. She lived a full 9 1/2 years with excellent health all 9 1/2 years until she fell victim of sudden death (DCM) on New Years day this year. No health problems to speak of her entire life.

We just adopted our third pup from an animal shelter a couple hours away after I fell in love with this little boys pictures on petfinder who has persistant coccidia. I'm willing and glad to pay for as much treatment to get him better. He also has horrible conformation qualities. His tail is lower then it should be and undocked, his back is dipped and higher at the rearend then the neck with long lanky back legs, his toes are cocked in all different directions and he is perfect to us. To think if he had his tail docked, that somebody could have paid good money for him is a heartbreaking though. Especially since these breeders would probably be breeding ol' mom and pop together again the next season to sell to more unsuspecting families.

I talked with many breeders in considering where to get a pup from in the next couple years and all of them agreed to make arrangements for payment after lengthy conversations with them. They want their pet dogs to go to good families and with that being important to them they are mostly willing to make arrangements to make that happen. Even if you find the right breeder, pay a deposit, make a payment after the pups are born and then pay the balance at pick-up you're looking at affordable payments for a quality bred pup.

ITA to either continue a search for a reputable breeder that will work with you for payments or continue to look for a rescue pet that needs a good home to give him the chance at life and family that he/she deserves.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My Romel came to us at 8 weeks of age and basically the DVDPA in Pa. found him for us. We werent looking for a puppy, just wanted a dobie to love after our boy passed away. We drove 5 hrs and decided we weren't quite ready, went home empty handed w/heavy hearts and 2 weeks later got a call and was told there was a puppy that desperately needed a loving home because he had had a problem with his back leg (ok at the time) but could need special attention later. We couldnt say no to his beautiful face and knew he needed us, so off to NJ we went and brought him home. He later did need an amputation, but now at 5 1/2 months, he is our love, and we couldnt be happier. Some babies just need a chance at a loving home, just knowing that Rom-Rom could have been put to sleep by his breeder makes me cringe, he is the most loving and kissy boy I have ever met. Sometimes what we think we want is not what we get or the best for us. :)

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
My Romel came to us at 8 weeks of age and basically the DVDPA in Pa. found him for us. We werent looking for a puppy, just wanted a dobie to love after our boy passed away. We drove 5 hrs and decided we weren't quite ready, went home empty handed w/heavy hearts and 2 weeks later got a call and was told there was a puppy that desperately needed a loving home because he had had a problem with his back leg (ok at the time) but could need special attention later. We couldnt say no to his beautiful face and knew he needed us, so off to NJ we went and brought him home. He later did need an amputation, but now at 5 1/2 months, he is our love, and we couldnt be happier. Some babies just need a chance at a loving home, just knowing that Rom-Rom could have been put to sleep by his breeder makes me cringe, he is the most loving and kissy boy I have ever met. Sometimes what we think we want is not what we get or the best for us. :)
Great story.:)

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
We all know how easy it is to fall in lvoe with those pics and once puppy's in your arms it will be nearly impossible to say no. You might as well leave your common sense in the trunk of your car. (Had our breeder been a BYB and Java had any kind of health issue, I know my heart would have taken over as soon as I picked her up and that's not always wise.) Take your time and do your homework. Go to local Dobe/AKC shows, talk to breeders and to people who are there with well-behaved, sweet-tempered, well-loved, healthy Dobes. You should be able to come home with one or two names of responsible breeders who may be breeding in the next few months. You owe it to yourself and the breed not to buy from a BYB.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Here is a good breeder in your area
http://www.rhapsodydobes.com/

Here is a good Dobe club to contact regarding getting a puppy
http://www.greateraustindpc.com/

I rate all of those you listed with 0's. They are from backyard breeders. Do not buy from the paper & support irresponsible breeding. http://www.dogpeople.org/PuppyMill.htm

As Kim once said, just b/c you are looking for a pet doesn't mean you have to settle with less quality. If you are going to buy then you should buy from a program that focuses on temperament, health, longevity, and conformation. Pets from CH. parents do make wonderful pets. Rescue is also THE way to go. Hopefully they have a Dobe for you. The bond with a rescue Dobe can be very wonderful. Don't overlook the young adults.

Please do more research.

I would love to write more, but then I would be late for work...

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
I'm aware that conventional wisdom is basically "pet quality = $1000+"; and that "you either pay for it up front or later at the vet."
I am sorry, I didn't really understand what you were saying and shouldn't have rushed my response. I am glad you are doing your homework! Keep it up, keep the questions/comments coming and hang around here. We are all here for the Dobes and have the Dobes best interest in mind.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I couldn't be more happy with Rudi my rescue. We've had some beautiful dobes come into the rescue where I volunteer in Ohio. The boys have been stunners. Even the crops were amazing on them. If I didn't already have a boy....... LOL

One thing I will never do is put a price limit on purchasing a pet of any kind. Yes there are limits financially........but, to get any quality dobe from a reputable breeder it is going to cost you. Andyou can't compare a price paid in 1986 to todays prices. Personally, I would rather escue a dobe in need than spend$400-600 on a pup from a byb. Doing so only helps them continue to produce poor quality dogs. Turning out pups heat after heat is not a good thing in my opinion. Continue to do your homework and research and get things in line ahead of time. When the right dobe comes a long you will know.

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
I just so happen to be very partial to the rescues myself. I would buy and hope to one day, a well bred pup. I was planning on it this time, probably in 2008 when one of the breeders I was looking forward to buying from, BUT...a little boy needed us as much as we needed him and it worked out. The three dobers that I've had have all been blessings in my life and have added so much to my family.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts