Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"I saw a RAT!":

"There's a RAT loose around here, and I'm gonna eat it!":

"It's around here somewhere.":

"I see it. It's a RAT-FISH!":

Is this what all the fuss was about?:

It's springtime, and the frogs are out (both of them). Mensa doesn't know what to think about them. She seems to know they're part of the family, but she's real curious about them.

These frogs were "raised" from tadpoles. They're three or four years old. There are two of them. I started with two dozen tadpoles, and got two frogs. I think the bigger frogs ate the smaller ones. They're "indoor" frogs. Their pond is inside a screened-in room so they can't get out and do something stupid, like get eaten by owls.

After she spotted the frog in the last picture, she stared at it for a good 30 seconds. Then she barked at it. This made the frog jump, the first time it moved even a muscle. That startled Mensa, and she jumped about three feet (1m) up into the air. If I weren't so slow with the camera I would've got a shot of that.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Great pics Chaz!! I love the pic, Mensa cracks me up. My girls love to carry toads around but then it gives them toad mouth (frothy mouth)!!!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I like the idea of your pond being inside a screened room, I have a 1000 gallon (est) koi pond I wish I had it inside like that, sure would save on the maintenance.

I have a few frogs here, a couple are big ones. They startle me at times when I walk near the pond and they jump, but I think they are neat.

Cool setup you have there. I would have loved to see pics of that jump LOL.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Cute. My dogs would be thinking... Mmmm...Frog legs for dinner. Then the water from the pond for as the drink. They aren't as classy.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Very funny Chaz!!

·
Registered
986 Posts
These shots made my day, Chaz. I like the one where Mensa's behind the tree. That makes her invisible, you know...perfect for ambushing the rat-frog....oops, I mean rat-fish...with a blitz attack.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I love these pics. Now here is my question - how do you stop Mensa from going in the pond? I have wanted a koi pond for a long time, but am afraid mine will use it as their own personal wading pool with appetizers (the fish being the appetizers).

·
Registered
986 Posts
OK Lana, here's what I did...I got the neighbor to put one in so Oscar can go visit and use his fish for toys. All the fun...none of the responsibility.

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
Great pictures Chaz - love the concentrated look :) Isabelle would try to eat the frogs. She has gotten a baby bird - tried to eat a feral kitten - I saved the kitten by getting my husband to drag her far enough away so that the kitten could get back under the gate. She also tried to eat the neighbors peekanese (sp?) All these creatures wandered into our back yard - they snuck in under the gate and since we have a 6 ft block wall they could figure out how to get out. Somehow the obedience goes out the window when she has found intruders in her yard. Its funny because when we walk she could care less about bunnies and feral kitties in other peoples yards - they just aren't allowed in hers. Oh - birds aren't permitted to fly in her sector either :)

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
You captured the serious intent look of the breed. Its funny to watch them act like that. Those wheels turning while they try to figure it out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts