Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 12 year old male Doberman who has a rash on his belly. He's had this on and off for years and I don't feel the vet has ever really been able to come up with a solution and only temporary remedies. I reside in Florida so I do feel it could be allergies from the yard, etc. I've tried switching up the food, etc. Most importantly though anytime they've put him on meds he doesn't respond well specifically with apoquil and other similar meds.

I feel as if Im left to a natural remedy especially with his age and I am wondering if anyone else on this forum has dealt with the same issue or has suggestions for helping to clear the rash up. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
27,472 Posts
My allergic male had rashes, even darkening skin, on his belly and groin area from time to time. Of course, he ended up with allergy shots and later apoquel, which he did respond to.

But it seems to me we tried some kind of oatmeal bath at first, with maybe a little success--just not enough. So you could try that if you haven't--and it never hurts to use a diluted vinegar rinse as the last step in the bath, or even as a topical spray to the area from time to time (unless his skin is absolutely raw.).

If it is grass which is bothering him, you may also be able to use some kind of hypoallergenic wipes on his belly whenever he comes in from the yard.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I've considered the bath as well. He's been on a few topical sprays but they to seem to be temporary. The wipes aren't a bad idea as well. Appreciate the info.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts