Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi DT ;)

Hope everyone is well, haven't been on in a while, busy with new job + travel + agility!

So, asking for your help this time in identifying the cause/remedy for Axl's rash. If i can't find a solution, we will head to the vet tomorrow am.

I noticed it just tonight, its very red and kind of bumpy. Its in 2 area: inner front leg and back inner thigh.

Haven't changed his food, routine etc. I thought it might have been his coat until i found a 2nd area inner thigh (nothing could have rubbed there)

Thoughts?

Thanks for your help DT

·
Registered
939 Posts
I'm a people medic, and I'm not sure how similarly rashes present in dogs v. humans. Could they be hives, like from an allergy? New detergent on his bed or coat? new treat? new toy?

If they're circular with a 'bullseye' pattern, its a marker for Lyme disease. Ticks in your area? have you looked between the toes and all over? Ringworm is usually circular lesions as well..

I'm glad hes got a vet appointment in the morning. Let us know how it goes. Hugs to your boy! all the best.

Reactions: AXL

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll let you know how it goes!

No changes in terms of soap, detergent, food etc...

As for tick, he's fully protected from May to October during the warm season, and during the winter, everything is frozen here...

·
Registered
939 Posts
I'll let you know how it goes!

No changes in terms of soap, detergent, food etc...

As for tick, he's fully protected from May to October during the warm season, and during the winter, everything is frozen here...
I totally spaced looking at what area you're in.. doh! my bad. Hm.. I know if fed a singular protein in their food continuously, dogs can develop an allergy to them. Quite the mystery..

Reactions: AXL

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
It's looks like a staph infection to me - my Casper used to get that all the time. The vet prescribed a topical spray for him.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Toby has the exact same rash under his pits and his back legs.

He first developed a tiny mark on his inner thigh after he got a small scratch there from running through the bushes. I applied some cream and whilst the redness stayed the scratch healed up in no time. He was forever licking the rash area so I applied a cream to help cool it down as when I put my cold hands on it he moaned as if it was a nice feeling.
Then this morning I noticed his armpit was so red and sore with lumps and seeping a clear fluid I immediately called my vet and we are off there at 8 pm CET, so I will post what my vet says his rash is so you can maybe ask your vet if it could be something similar.

I havent changed his food, he doesnt have fleas or the like, (it isnt tick season here yet but he wears a Scalibor collar year round just in case). He sleeps on the sofa at night and the covers have only been washed in the same soap I have always used so no change there.

So what is causing it is a mystery hopefully we can solve it very soon and help you guys out in the process.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Yes, it looks as if your dog nipped at those places a few too many times, maybe itchy? Whatever the reason, I'm sure your vet will get to the bottom of it. Good luck!

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, back from the vet!
She believes its irritation caused potentially by road salt (calcium spread during winter to de-ice) because we also found redness inside one of his paw, and that, by licking it, he made it worse.

So he's on vetolexin 5ml 2x a day for 2 weeks (antibiotic)
As well as viaderm topical cream 2x a day (antifungal/bacterial/inflammatory)

If it doesnt start to clear up in 1 week, she wants to do a scratch analysis.

Hopefully it clears up quickly ;)

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Omg cant believe photobucket censored my picture that showed Axl's rash AND his penis??!!!
Some folk think the weirdest of things are outrageous.

My vet is stumped, (we do not have road salt so it cannot be that) so in the meantime I have Aloe-Vet cream to apply 3-4 times a day, it should stop any itching and soothe the burning feel it obviously has to it. We also have Dakortin Anti-inflammatories (as the area is now quite swollen). We are back there on Monday for a check up, if it is responding to the cream etc then we will likely be told to continue with it, however, if there is no improvement the vet says she may take a scratch test and or give him steroids to see if they will work better.

Hope your boy gets better soon.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Torque had a similar looking rash on the inside of his right hind up by his flank. I live off of a gravel road, so no road salt here. I put some Hydrocortisone cream (yes its safe for dogs) on it for about a week and its finally cleared up. Here's hoping both Axl and Toby feel better! :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi DT ;)

Hope everyone is well, haven't been on in a while, busy with new job + travel + agility!

So, asking for your help this time in identifying the cause/remedy for Axl's rash. If i can't find a solution, we will head to the vet tomorrow am.

I noticed it just tonight, its very red and kind of bumpy. Its in 2 area: inner front leg and back inner thigh.

Haven't changed his food, routine etc. I thought it might have been his coat until i found a 2nd area inner thigh (nothing could have rubbed there)

Thoughts?

Thanks for your help DT
Rusty has the same problem between both upper rear legs , (it looks the same from your photo), but now I consider it chronic. We have changed his diet - thought he was allergic to rice. Tried antibiotics, Quadritop ointment, demacool* HC and baby powder. The vet said he needed to lose weight so he has lost 5-10 pound over the last month or so (down to I guess to 85 from 93 pounds) and the rash is still there. He said that lying in our bed during the day was causing the moister to cause the infection in addition to chaffing while running and then him licking the area when we were not looking or at home while we were gone.

The lady where we get his Orjgen dog food said she thought it was a yeast infection from the Innova were feeding him and said to change to Orjen and that it would take 30 to 60 days for the infection to clear. We are at day 28.

Going back to the vet in the morning

Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update: axl's rashes are all cleared up!
Still giving him the antibiotics just in case ;)

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Along with the antibiotics start giving some plain yogurt to help get the good bacteria built back up in his intestines.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts