Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Raptor who was born with many issues due to the owners not taking care of him is now 5 1/2 months now weighing in at 53lbs ! He鈥檚 the best dog I could have ever asked for he has many qualities he鈥檚 very intelligent and very fun he loves to run and play as he is a puppy but he鈥檚 also so sassy and he has so much attitude and he鈥檚 very spoiled 馃ズ his obedience is very amazing I just wanted to update the forum for my amazing best friend/ son !

Big Lil pup
Hi faith. Thanks for the current photo of your handsome boy. BTW... I suggest you trim those dew claws before he accidentally slashes you to ribbons! LOL

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi faith. Thanks for the current photo of your handsome boy. BTW... I suggest you trim those dew claws before he accidentally slashes you to ribbons! LOL

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

Hahah yeah he just got them cut three weeks ago, they grow back fast as heck lol, he has an appointment this week & lastly thank you

Registered
They should be trimmed twice a week until they're short, then weekly to maintain. :)

Registered
Thank yoouuu. I didn鈥檛 not know that, that is a good tip thanks.
Guessing the reasoning behind that advice is due to how hard it is to know where the quick is cause of the color of the nails - Soooo, you trim a tiny bit each time (but more frequently) until you get to the length you want to be at.

Less of a chance for an accidental quick snipping that way.

Nails as dark as Dobie Nails are not something I would let just any fool trim for me. Very much prefer to do them myself and pretty sure my girls would rather me do them as well.

Took a girl to the Vet one time for a few staples (girl gave herself a small cut jumping around off stuff at work and it 'needed' closing). Vet lady felt more comfortable knocking the dog out to do it vs just using a muzzle and getting it over with. Not a big deal on my end but - They took her in the back briefly to give her her knock out shot and after a couple of minutes I hear a few LOUD barks and the 'I am going to bite you face off growl' coming from my dog. The growling subsides pretty quickly and they bring her back to the room with me so I could wait with her until she is knocked out. Knowing darn well that it was my girl that did that barking / growling I asked the vet assistant what set the dog off and she claimed she had no idea. Told me that the dog was fine for the shot and then suddenly got all angry for no apparent reason. Had a feeling that was BS but since I did not see for myself as it happened what could I say???

I figured it out later while waiting for the girl to wake back up after her staples. While she was still out I was looking over her legs / feet and noticed that a few of her nails had been trimmed really short on one paw. Noticeable difference between the couple nails that they had trimmed and the rest of her nails that had NOT been screwed with. Some dummy took it upon themselves to trim her nails while they had her in the back for the knock out shot and went too far and got her quick. No doubt in my mind that is what set the girl off and caused the growling.

Asked to see the Vet again and had a little 'talk' about the growling, the couple of trimmed nails and the assistant girl lying to me about it when she told me the dog lit up for 'no apparent reason'. That clinic has everyone fill out a form before any services are done and one of the questions on there is 'Would you like us to trim your dogs nails?' which I let her know that I had marked NO on... I let the Vet know that the idiot that did the nail trimming was damn lucky they did not get a chunk chomped out of their face when they did that crap to my dog.

I still use that Vet on occasion for some services but I make a special point now to not depend on the 'form' I fill out to let them know NOT to screw with the nails on my dogs. Dobie nails are not 'hard' to do but an idiot can screw things up if you give them a chance.

Registered
Guessing the reasoning behind that advice is due to how hard it is to know where the quick is cause of the color of the nails - Soooo, you trim a tiny bit each time (but more frequently) until you get to the length you want to be at.
Actually, it's because those nails are quite long, and the quick will recede with frequent trims. Plus it's good to get the dog used to the routine by doing it much more frequently.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts