Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have this problem?
Sirius is not a fan of other dogs, especially males. He used to be really bad about approaching other dogs and becoming aggressive. I have done a LOT of work with him and he is much better now. Whenever we go to the beach and another dog is there he no longer approaches them, he is content ignoring them and just playing with me. I am ecstatic of his improvement. Lately, every time I go to the beach and there are other dogs there, the owners just let their dogs come over and get in sirius's face. He tolerates it initially, just ignoring them, but once they start sniffing where they shouldn't, he becomes aggressive, and then I get the "disapproving" look from the other owner. It really bugs me, how would a complete stranger feel if I ran over to them and started grabbing them? It was really bad yesterday, I was at the beach and two girls showed up with some large dogs who immediately surrounded sirius, he started growling and put his hackles up, while I was fighting to get his attention back on me, the girls were oblivious and just laughed and said there dogs were friendly, I responded with a "he's not!" and they still just took their time. It really sucks, because there are no other beaches to go to around here with him, and he LOVES playing in the water. Don't get me wrong, some owners are really great up here, and don't allow there dogs to approach others unless the other person says it's okay, it's just those few ignorant ones who can really ruin your day. :tonguezzz

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
IMO if you know your dog is dog aggressive you have no business bringing him to an area where you know dogs freely roam and play off leash. Sorry, but to me that is just common sense.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I always control the off-leash areas for my dogs. Even a non-aggresive dog can be ruined by aggresive dogs jumping them. On leash, I have some/more control as far as aggresive dogs coming up on us. Off leash play is great but know your dog and the dogs they are playing with. No matter who is to blame if a fight breaks out most likely the dobe will be the one in trouble as far as how the world looks at it.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Dobegirl,

Many male dobes, neutered or not are male aggressive if provoked, that's the nature of the breed. Most responsible breeders will not place a male puppy in a home with another male. I've had four dobe males since 1973, all neutered until my current boy. Never would I turn one of theses guys loose where any strange dog could run up to them and provoke a fight. I've gone on outings where there were other male dogs off-leash but they were with people who I knew had them under control. On a public beach situation that is very difficult to control. It's a price one has to pay to own this great breed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts