Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Doberman, Harvey, is 2 1/2 yrs old. For a while now we have had some issues with this random vomiting. It will occur in the wee hours of the night 1am, 2am, 3am... It's usually 2 to 3 times that he will vomit and it's his dog food that comes up, a pretty large amount of it if not all.

We switched his food over to Purina Pro Plan about 6 months ago because it was recommended for dogs with sensitive stomachs. It has seemed to help some but it's still happening. We feed Harvey twice a day, morning and evening. If he has an episode we will not feed him for 24 hours and that seems to help his stomach settle.

Other than this Harvey is a health dog! Very active...no pee or bowel problems...

Should we be worried? Is there anything we should be doing differently? Could this be a food allergy? Should we try different food or be feeding him differently?
Please Help!

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Hi Krista. This is something you'll want to address with your vet. It could be a food allergy but you should definitely speak with your vet.

Hope you're able to find an answer.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Our Doberman, Harvey, is 2 1/2 yrs old. For a while now we have had some issues with this random vomiting. It will occur in the wee hours of the night 1am, 2am, 3am... It's usually 2 to 3 times that he will vomit and it's his dog food that comes up, a pretty large amount of it if not all.

We switched his food over to Purina Pro Plan about 6 months ago because it was recommended for dogs with sensitive stomachs. It has seemed to help some but it's still happening. We feed Harvey twice a day, morning and evening. If he has an episode we will not feed him for 24 hours and that seems to help his stomach settle.

Other than this Harvey is a health dog! Very active...no pee or bowel problems...

Should we be worried? Is there anything we should be doing differently? Could this be a food allergy? Should we try different food or be feeding him differently?
Please Help!
Is he vomiting or regurgitating (there's a difference)? If a dog vomits, there's body language that precedes the food coming up from the stomach. When a dog regurgitates, there's no such body language-they just open their mouth and food pours out.

If the dog is regurgitating undigested food, I'd be suspicious of an esophageal problem like Megaesophagus.

I guess it would depend on when you give the evening meal...but the time this is happening would concern me as well-the food should have left the stomach by then if you feed in the evening. So then you wonder if the food ever reached the stomach.

I'd probably get this checked out at the vet.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
wow...did not know that- the difference you mentioned.

OP- here's more info on megaesophagus: Canine Megaesophagus, Aspiration Pneumonia & Myasthenia Gravis

This caught my attention, "Megaesophagus can be secondary to other diseases such as Myasthenia Gravis, Thyroid, Addisons and other Neurological disorders".
There are something like 43 different diseases that can have megaE as a symptom.

In a lot of cases, it's present at birth. JMO, but I think there's a genetic link in some cases.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for your input. When Harvey does have an episode he stands up, walks around a bit, then you here this awful sound a few times and out comes food. I think it's for sure vomiting and not regurgitating.

Now he doesn't do this every night. He can go a few weeks to a month without doing it at all. So this isn't something that happens on a regular basis. And No, we haven't had any tests done at the vet yet for it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts